• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'24 brake lever free play

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
So today our dealer checked all the 24 matryx sleds in stock, and all have over an inch of travel in the brake lever before full engagement.

It's not just me...

Did you try bleeding yet?

Here’s the spec from ‘24 owners manual, cut and pasted from ‘22/23. Obviously there’s major discrepancies from that. What a pain.

IMG_5049.jpeg

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Did you try bleeding yet?
Need to pick up appropriate hose for my syringe setup, likely tomorrow, to do the bleed. Seeing others with the same results reduces my optimism for improvement by bleeding.

Technically mine meets last year's manual spec, as it's .8" spacing now from that diagram measurement of closest distance from grip to stock lever while depressed.

But man it's way way tighter than my 22 and 23, and hits my knuckles with a glove on. No bueno.

So who has fingers that measure less than .5" of total diameter with a riding glove on?? It's not as though anyone uses more than one finger to pull the brake lever.

Last edited:
R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
just rode mine. The brakes are straight up dangerous you better plan ahead by 100feet or your going to be bummed. I think the master cylinder is the culprit. Thanks Polaris

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
just rode mine. The brakes are straight up dangerous you better plan ahead by 100feet or your going to be bummed. I think the master cylinder is the culprit. Thanks Polaris

The latest snowest podcast interviews Polaris director of engineering, where he confirmed a new "high retraction calliper", and says these changes are to "give the rider a little bit more play and feel".

Curious, are your brakes still firm with good power when they engage, and the issue is too much lever throw and bashing knuckles?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Yep, total CYA.

But honestly, if the brakes work (firm/consistent/power), then to me this becomes a setup issue. There's not one setup from factory that'll fit everyone anyway. Again, really should come with adjustable levers.

I run my lever pretty far inboard so I just catch the hook with my index. No interference with other knuckles. A skins lever with adjustable reach, and some file work to get the bite point right, and it's perfect for me. @Sheetmetalfab offers another solution to the same end, much quicker (like his responses 😁).

IMG_4993.jpeg

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Just another example of Polaris relying on the consumer to fix its deficiencies. Throttle block has always been an issue, but now the brake too?! UGH

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Yep, total CYA.

But honestly, if the brakes work (firm/consistent/power), then to me this becomes a setup issue. There's not one setup from factory that'll fit everyone anyway. Again, really should come with adjustable levers.

I run my lever pretty far inboard so I just catch the hook with my index. No interference with other knuckles. A skins lever with adjustable reach, and some file work to get the bite point right, and it's perfect for me. @Sheetmetalfab offers another solution to the same end, much quicker (like his responses 😁).

View attachment 412616
People who run Munster throttles, opinions don't matter around here 😌

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
The latest snowest podcast interviews Polaris director of engineering, where he confirmed a new "high retraction calliper", and says these changes are to "give the rider a little bit more play and feel".

Curious, are your brakes still firm with good power when they engage, and the issue is too much lever throw and bashing knuckles?
They are still firm once they engage. But a lot of free play and being aware of finger placement. I’m guessing the new master cylinder is the culprit. It changed as well as the caliper. The lever is the same. They must have moved a port or shortened the piston rod in the master cylinder

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan

If the caliper is a high retraction design that spreads the pads so they cant drag when the brake lever isn't squeezed that may be the problem. The piston in the caliper will have to move further in order for the pads to contact the rotor. That in turn means the brake lever has to travel further, therefore pinching any fingers that are still on the handlebar.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
People who run Munster throttles, opinions don't matter around here 😌

Heck yes, it’s a total crutch!

Being late to the game I need all the help I can get, these things are 🤬 beasts!

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
If the caliper is a high retraction design that spreads the pads so they cant drag when the brake lever isn't squeezed that may be the problem. The piston in the caliper will have to move further in order for the pads to contact the rotor. That in turn means the brake lever has to travel further, therefore pinching any fingers that are still on the handlebar.

This is exactly it, their intention was very much to increase the lever travel, trying to avoid “inadvertent braking”.

On the previous brakes, I felt there wasn’t enough travel, mine didn’t move at all before it grabbed. I didn’t like that, so changed it.

With this new master/calliper, if you want less travel I’d try something like this ARC lever: punch out the roller bearing, and replace with a larger bushing. If Polaris admits an issue and recalls, swap the stock lever back unaltered. Point is, if it’s not working for you, get creative.

Premium Features