• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'24 brake lever free play

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
24 boost has all sorts of plastic bits in oil and reservoir. 9r brake is worse. We bled it twice. Reservoir is clean. Maybe gunk is down in bottom already. Bleeding the boost and the mechanic said what the f is that. They said only part difference was master cylinder between 23 and 24. The 2 on showroom are identical to boost and 9r. One is worse than the other. They are completely cleaning them and see what happens.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
24 boost has all sorts of plastic bits in oil and reservoir. 9r brake is worse. We bled it twice. Reservoir is clean. Maybe gunk is down in bottom already. Bleeding the boost and the mechanic said what the f is that. They said only part difference was master cylinder between 23 and 24. The 2 on showroom are identical to boost and 9r. One is worse than the other. They are completely cleaning them and see what happens.
I heard some found issues in their brake slave cyclinders too. Some said wrong lubricant on the quad rings and some found the quad rings installed backwards. Don't really know but just thought I would mention some things to check.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My 23 9R had all that crap in the brake reservoir too.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
My 24 boost has a lot of stuff in the reservoir too. Brakes on mine are borderline useless using one finger throw is so long lever hits my other fingers. I’m trying the 3d logic brake lever.
I love to complain about Polaris but this is mostly on us. The early Matryx brakes were amazing but we had a bunch of idiots riding the brake and catching on fire.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My 24 boost has a lot of stuff in the reservoir too. Brakes on mine are borderline useless using one finger throw is so long lever hits my other fingers. I’m trying the 3d logic brake lever.
I love to complain about Polaris but this is mostly on us. The early Matryx brakes were amazing but we had a bunch of idiots riding the brake and catching on fire.
I don't think so, especially with polaris's track record. I think they had brakes dragging from factory. Heard guys complaining it was getting hot and they weren't doing it. Then they ruined brake. The boost brake is got better. It's fine but 9r never changed. 9r is same as yours. Squeezed all the way in, there is 7/8 of an inch between lever and bars. Master cylinder is the part different between 23 and 24.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Ya, brake dragging is a great tool in uneven climbs to keep from over accelerating in the air and trenching at touchdown, sliding vertical past top side of trees and rocks I often drag to keep clutch and rpm’s where I need them.
Sucks to shift out mid air, bog on impact when you need the power.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Wow you’re getting rowdy!!! I’m trying to peace together in my mind what exactly is happening while you’re riding from your description. I’m not really sure but I’m picturing Kersteke on a steep hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Basically you keep on the throttle, but if you’re going in to hot, or track is going to free air, you load the track with the brake, keeping rpm’s up, but not overreving and shifting clutch’s too high for when you contact again. Release brake and resume rather than bog, down shift, retry.

Think of jumping a logging road.
Too soft or steep on far side, you stuff it and bog to a stop.

Drag brakes properly, you’ll maintain and continue up far side.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
So today our dealer checked all the 24 matryx sleds in stock, and all have over an inch of travel in the brake lever before full engagement.

It's not just me...
I looked at a 9r at my dealership and with my bare hands it seemed like it's WAY to much travel compared to my 23 Khaos.. They overdid it.

Premium Features