• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 RMK EGT sensor issue

D
Sep 15, 2023
Bend, OR
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2018 Pro RMK with a Silber turbo. It is throwing a 173-4 code; low EGT voltage. The code pops from startup. It looks like the probe was replaced with a non stock probe, as the wiring is spliced into the connector.

I talked to Justin at Silber to try to rule out any ECU flash issues, and after looking at the picture I sent he said it looks like the previous owner swapped out a 2017 pipe and sensor, and that the 2018 sensor is different. He said the fix is tapping the bung and putting in the 2018 sensor.

Before I spend 250 bucks on the oem sensor, does anyone have any experience with this? Any non oem sensors that can be swapped in that are cheaper? Also does anyone know the tap size for that sensor? IMG_2679.jpeg

D
Sep 15, 2023
Bend, OR
So I got the code to go away, turns out the previous owner was not so good at electrical and taped the two connectors together shorting it out. Separated them and let the ECU sit, code went away.

Now my question is, is the 2017 sensor feeding bad data to the ECU? Or are those sensors the same besides the bung size and connector? I ask because I inspected the cylinder and it is badly scored on both sides; needs a full top end rebuild. I'm wondering if the different sensor could have caused overly hot exhaust gas to be fed in through the turbo and damaged the top end?

Premium Features