• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 TM8 wont start-HELP PLEASE

P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
Drove my sled into my garage and swaped out the steering post out and went to start it and no spark. Fuel pump is making pressure, power is showing up on the Air Fuel but not the speedo gauge. I went through all of the connections and closely looked over the wiring and could not find anything. I am not strong with electrical issues and find them very frustrating. Took it to the dealer this morning and they have checked:

- kill switch = good
- key = good
- stator = good
- grounds = good
- coils = good

Dealer spent an number of hours on it and still not working. They did however find that if the unplugged the left side of the ecu that it would spark on one side (this is what they told me anyways). WTF

SLED

09 M8
Converted Boondocker PG kit to a twisted RG kit professionally installed with 800 miles (350 with the upgraded kit which was installed December 09). The sled has always started and this is really pissin me off as my non electrical gut says it has to be simple and in result of messin around with the steering post.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Piker

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
What happens if you disconnect the boondocker box and plug your wiring harness straight into the ECU ... IE, remove the BD box from the picture and see if it still does it. That would at least tell you if its the BD box or not.

I'm just wondering, did the dealer check the coils? I'm trying to think of any remote possibility a coil could have gotten messed up during the installation of the post ..... I dont see how it would have happened, but maybe?

You would think you'd get spark regardless of what your ECU is doing, but I've had totally dead sleds before due to a fried ECU that wouldn't spark at all.

Last edited:
P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
Coils have been checked, grounds have been checked and the throttle has been checked. We discussed the fuel control box and it should not have anything to do with the no spark.

Thanks for the input.

Piker

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
When you remove the post, did you remove the ground on the steering loop first. Check spark, check for power at injectors, disconnect everything going to handle bars, make sure throttle cable isn't to tight. Changes plugs, check fuse. You changed the post, did it do anything after that, might want to go back and pull it just to make sure everything is right and no broken wires. Is the temps sensor plugged in.

P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
It appears that one of the ignition wires was grounding out on the frame. Had to pull the harness out entirely and for what ever reason, it was a bit of a mess.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Piker

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It appears that one of the ignition wires was grounding out on the frame. Had to pull the harness out entirely and for what ever reason, it was a bit of a mess.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Piker

Where was it grounding out at? I've noticed my mag side rear wire has rubbed a bit on the steering post, kinda had me sketched ... I have a spare wire out of an RMK I'm gonna replace it with just to be sure, then try to tie it out of the way.

Curious to know where yours were rubbing.

Premium Features