• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D8 track alternative

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
So, do I understand this right that their is a difference in clearance between the Dragon and the RAW RMK? I just bought a '10 and was going to switch tracks, but just want to make sure I'm reading correctly.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So, do I understand this right that their is a difference in clearance between the Dragon and the RAW RMK? I just bought a '10 and was going to switch tracks, but just want to make sure I'm reading correctly.

no both use the same tunnels/drivers..the rmk's still get the older 5.1 2 ply track vrs the dragons use the 5.1 single ply, but clearance is the same....

429dhm

Sep 29, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
IMO... The HRP drop is a common sense positive addition to the IQ RMK sled... not too much drop but more than tripples the current track clearance.

IMO.. it will help with track speed using your current setup...especially in high moisture content snow.

Will the Holz drop roll give enough clearance to use a 2.5 challenger extreme track and 2.86 pitch 8 tooth drivers?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Will the Holz drop roll give enough clearance to use a 2.5 challenger extreme track and 2.86 pitch 8 tooth drivers?

yes..its a 5/8 drop with no roll....fastrax motorsports does a 3/4 drop and a 1 in. roll..the 5/8 drop wil clear a 3 in. but leave tunnel clearence tight(I have the fastrax d&R and the 2.5 extreme and mine has 1 and 1/16 at the tightest point(right at the front edge of the coolers))

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
yes..its a 5/8 drop with no roll....fastrax motorsports does a 3/4 drop and a 1 in. roll..the 5/8 drop wil clear a 3 in. but leave tunnel clearence tight(I have the fastrax d&R and the 2.5 extreme and mine has 1 and 1/16 at the tightest point(right at the front edge of the coolers))

Still waiting for my plane ticket. Gear and meters are packed for some riding and wire chasing.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Still waiting for my plane ticket. Gear and meters are packed for some riding and wire chasing.

I gave up on ya dave...I broke down and fixed it myself...lol...you gotta come up though..even just for a long weekend.. we will have to try and do something late march/early april next season..

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
tracks

I had a 156 2.5 camo ext. on my 07 D7 and really didn't care for it much. It was a trenching bugger in the fluff. I took it off and put a 162 camo off an 07 Cat with Tracks USA extensions and really liked the way it performed all around. I ended up selling the sled and pulled the 162 off because the buyer wanted the 2.5. I bought an 09 M8 153 and after riding it I'm going to pull the powerclaw off and put the 162 07 track and suspension under it. I think the 07 susp. works better anyway. I guess, my point is I think the 2.25 camo is a better all around track. By the way I'm selling the 156 to 162 extensions if anyone is interested. Good deal.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I dont think that the Polairs has a CE track problem (compared to your observations on your Arctic Cat M series) ...although.. the deep, super dry "blower" pow is not the CE's strong suit... it certainly is no slouch either.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
So what I am reading the only track that will work on a 08 dragon 800 is a the camoplast challenger extreme 155 x 15 2.86? (without changing anything else) It says it weighs 55 lbs. What does the stock dragon track weigh? Has anyone seen an improvement enough to justify pulling the stock track off and switching it for this one?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Shadow... there are other tracks that will bolt on without changes.

What are your riding conditions and sled?

That makes a huge difference in how you are evaluating "justify pulling the stock track off and switching it for this one"

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Shadow... there are other tracks that will bolt on without changes.

What are your riding conditions and sled?

That makes a huge difference in how you are evaluating "justify pulling the stock track off and switching it for this one"

Here is the rundown. I have a 08 Dragon 800. Everything is stock on the sled and I am a 170 pound rider. I am going to turbo it this summer. I ride in Utah and am putting a turbo to hill climb and go in the powder better. I was thinking if I am spending all this money to turbo it should I be putting a new track on it also. Not really interested in changing suspension/rails. Thanks for the info.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
What length track??

What turbo boost level?

IMO... Since you are doing this as a low budget setup.... F-Bombs track mod to the stock track.

IMO... if you going with a turbo... the stock suspension will be woefully inadequate. To upgrade the stock shocks/springs.... costs as much as a timbersled that you can use with your stock rails and will not be as good at giving you control of the sled. With the turbo and climbing... you will get a LOT of ski lift with the stock skid. Better to spend your money in this area before the track.

Last edited:
R
Apr 27, 2010
I've got an 09 D8 163 with a powderclaw and alpha x, the track really works well and haven't seen any braking problems. Works much better in harpack than the stock track that was one my 08 700 155.

Premium Features