• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The mysterious disappearing coolant routine on a '02 800 RMK?

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
Just about got this project wrapped up. However, I'm noticing that it likes to drink coolant :face-icon-small-sad. Its a '02 vertical edge 800 with no engine mods. Mixed up and filled about a gallon of coolant/water @-35 into it and burped. No leaks, but it seems as though the level drops sporadically. Any hints or suggestions? :face-icon-small-con

T
Dec 25, 2007
They are designed to overflow when overheating. Just like a car. Is it overheating on the snow? Where are you running it? You may need to do a full system purge to see if you have a block somewhere. But if it is merely a slow leak, I agree with the o-ring on the head. I have seen many of those fail...

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
They are designed to overflow when overheating. Just like a car. Is it overheating on the snow? Where are you running it? You may need to do a full system purge to see if you have a block somewhere. But if it is merely a slow leak, I agree with the o-ring on the head. I have seen many of those fail...

Regarding the o-rings on the head: the inner and outer on the PTO and MAG?
and how do you go about doing a full system purge?? I've never done one on a sled yet and this is my first Polaris.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
For sure check the o-rings since its already been hot. You will want to look at both inner o-rings for melting or being squared off.

But its very common for the water pump impeller to strip on the shaft and move coolant too slow or not at all. Also check that the water pump belt isnt broken or stuck thermostat.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Just about got this project wrapped up. However, I'm noticing that it likes to drink coolant :face-icon-small-sad. Its a '02 vertical edge 800 with no engine mods. Mixed up and filled about a gallon of coolant/water @-35 into it and burped. No leaks, but it seems as though the level drops sporadically. Any hints or suggestions? :face-icon-small-con

Don't know if this is the problem with your sled, but.........................here's what happened to my 2002 EDGE-X 800 (6400+ miles)

The radiator cap intermittently contacts the bottom side of the hood and as you're bumpin' down the trail, it causes the overflow bottle to move up & down a little and allows a little trickle of antifreeze to discharge out of the overflow hose here and there,

Diagnosed by placing a wad of paper into the overflow hose, and driving it, came back green.

Then I re-mounted the coolant overflow bottle a little lower to solve it.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Possible Causes of Boiling Over and Loss of Coolant

Possible Cause #1
The installed O-rings are not the special Polaris High Temp O-Rings. There are standard temp O-rings floating around out there and when a dealer wants to sabotage your sled, he may sell you the standard temp rings, like they did to me. The standard temp rings allow the coolant to get into the cylinder and destroy the piston, cylinder and rings by melting them. Look through the plug hole and see if you see any damage yet, otherwise pull the cylinder head.

Possible Cause #2
The water pump impellar nut has loosened itself allowing the impellar to contact the bottom side of the cover, thus causing it to freeze in place and stopping coolant circulation.

Possible Cause #3
The tunnel edge coolers have worn a hole in them at a contact point between them and the tunnel edge, and allowing coolant to escape unnoticed.

Possible Cause #4
Lack of ice scratchers and running on dry or nearly dry trails, or too many holes in the track that reduce cooling efficiency, or a taller lug height than 2" in combination with any item listed previously.

Possible Cause #5
Spring or summer riding when air temperatures are above freezing.

Possible Cause #6
The coolant bottle lip has become mishapen and can no longer seal at operating temperatures, thus reducing the pressure in the entire cooling system.

Possible Cause #7
One of the bearings has frozen up in the water pump.

Possible Cause #8
Whoever reassembled the water pump last, did not allow enough clearance between the casing and the teethed pulley wheel that fits over the water pump axle, thus freezing up the water pump.

While your fixing things, don't forget to pull of the black plastic rear side covers and see how badly the tunnel is cracked at the end of the coolers. It requires some 1/2" x 1/2" x 4" long alum angle and 4 structural rivets per side, to bridge across the crack. Drill a hole in the end of the crack to relieve crack growth pressure.

Premium Features