• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

just confused and need help clutching my m7 for climbing

C
Mar 20, 2011
So i live in nelson B.C area i ride about 5000-8000 ft give or take a bit the odd time but mostly in that range. So i bought my m7 out of the spokane washington. Ive taking it out 3 times and notice a bog but alot of guys are complaning about it on the bottom end i have it on the top end. It has ok bottom end but not alot of snap, top end is ok i guess for speed. I bought it off a lady who only used it for trail riding so its obvisly not setup right. This is it and what it has done 2006 m7 efi 153'', snow eliminators ,venting,ice scratchers,mbrp can, slp inner wheel kit,aftermarket grips, slp big air intake, goldfinger lefty throttle, boss seat. So when i rode i firgured it was the clutching and some tunning and it should run good there was another m7 with my crew the guy was same size as me but his sled could climb 2 or 3 times further and get out up steeper **** and had more speed coming out of it. SO everyone i talked to and me and the dealer all agree its clutching so thats what im doing hopfully solves the problem im doing it this week. MY question what does it sound like to you guys?? Are the mbrp cans a "NO BOG CAN"????

Lastly for clutching kinda confused :face-icon-small-dis So first questions is the bdx 10.4 secondary clutch good ?? Also can you use it with the rk tek diamond drive clutch kit im kina confused on this?? I read up that was a good combanation is it ?? Also what should i do for wieghts i read some where with the 10.4 secondary you dont have to ??? kinda confused
TgC_emoticon142.gif
wacko.gif
?? what should i use for my springs and what degree helix should i do ?? Also should i do gearing???Really need help kinda confused only 16 and its my first time having a artic cat
wacko.gif
around grew up and have been on polaris . Sorry about all the questions just really need help and some answers please.

Thanks in adavance and sorry about the hassle. :face-icon-small-hap

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
Here is a sweet deal on a 10.4 secondary. I run this exact setup on my 05 M7.

http://www.countrycatoverstock.com/servlet/the-14563/Arctic-Cat-Snowmobile-Driven/Detail

I have a D@D Shift assist bearing in mine too.

Originaly I ran this with the stock white spring which is a lot softer than the orange but I was having trouble getting my rpms as the snow got older and more grippy. I had the gold primary spring early in the year as well and went back to my stock yellow and white stripe (I think) spring. I like the low engagement in early season snow that has no base but now that there is some traction I need more track spin and revs. I run my reccomended weights fro low altitude, 2000-3000feet so I have more power where I ride. I also rune the lowest gear I could get in my Diamond drive whick is great. never an issue. 54/66 I think but my memor is a little fuzzy. I put them in a forgot about them. I actually had to clearance my Diamond drive cover by the bolts to get them to spin.

Not sure if you can pull than orange spring in the secondary where you are but a little softer than the orange would be good I think. I don't have my chart handy.

If you have a bog around 6000 rpm you need to check your powervalves. The get sticky and hang up then the cables come off the motor. The cable need to be perfectly adjusted. 34.5 mm of cable showning and both need to be exactly the same or the servo will screw up. Clean the power valve one at a time. Not very difficult. Brake cleaner and a razorblade. Be very particular abot the cables. If a woman rode the sled the valves might be gummed up since she was not running it hard.

Another thing I reccomend that is a cheap easy fix is get a caulking gun and a tube of black high temp RTV and fill the area around the exhaust outlet that lets smoke and snow into the belly pan. It seemed to get ride of my right side powder bog. Not sure if the snow making steam or the smoke of the exhaust makes it bog on the right side but whatever it is it helped me a lot.

Lastly make sure your belt is adjust for proper deflection (tension) It is determined but added washers to the secondary adjust when you get the 10.4 clutch. Pick the sled up and rev it a bit then let it idle down. If the track just creeps a tiny bit at idle then you have good belt tension. Feel the belt with you finger for a reference as to how tight it feels when you push it down (deflection) between the two clutches.

Also I like to run my 10.4 aligned more like 2010 specs. Which means I have it sled in tighter than originally specified. I put the clutch on with no spring to find out how far it opened with NO SHIMS between it and the diamond drive and found a place it hit the footwell gusset. I clearanced it a little with a grinder and it was good to go.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235739

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179234

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226429

And yes the 700 isn't snappy. It does go friggin good for what it is though. I find I like mine better than my girlfriends 2011 HCR in powder snow but when it gets harder I like her sled better since it can still blow the track out when I need track spin to sidehill. My M7 just hooks up and goes when I want it to spin and lay on its side. But I have a lot less money in my old sled compared to hers.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
M7

To get the M7 running the most cost effective things I have found.

1. 10.4 secondary with orange spring/ 36 helix/ get a good aftermarket deflection adjuster......just call BDX and get this stuff direct. You'll also then be running the M8 belt which helps bottom end.

2. gear it down. Almost all issues with that sled stemmed from excessive high gearing due to the small secondary/ and high gearing in the drive case because cat hadn't figured out the numbers for gearing DD mtn sleds.

3. If you have the Attack 20 track on there, anything is better.

4. put in an injector profector, cheapest betterfuel managment improvement.

5. One more giant leap on bottom end, cal MDS weights.

6. FOR THE ENGINE....next you can blow thousands more with minimal results.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The A20 is a great track if you flip and straighten, one of the best IMO

Every can we have ever tried on a m7 lost power over the stock, same findings with the intake. Saw some gains with pipes and y-pipes but always lost with cans and intakes. Some people have rerouted the baro tube and got the bog to go away.

How many miles are on it and are you running 87 octane fuel.

C
Mar 20, 2011
the power valves were cleaned right before i bought the sled the husband of the wife cleaned them. So would you guys recomened doing the rktek diamond drive clutch kit with the bdx 10.4 ??

I was just confused you have helped some but all i really wanted was for where im riding what springs would you sugest wieghts and gearing and should i use the 10.4 and rk tek diamond drive clutch kit. Also i have the challanger track on my sled and its efi just so everyone know

C
Mar 20, 2011
To get the M7 running the most cost effective things I have found.

1. 10.4 secondary with orange spring/ 36 helix/ get a good aftermarket deflection adjuster......just call BDX and get this stuff direct. You'll also then be running the M8 belt which helps bottom end.

2. gear it down. Almost all issues with that sled stemmed from excessive high gearing due to the small secondary/ and high gearing in the drive case because cat hadn't figured out the numbers for gearing DD mtn sleds.

3. If you have the Attack 20 track on there, anything is better.

4. put in an injector profector, cheapest betterfuel managment improvement.

5. One more giant leap on bottom end, cal MDS weights.

6. FOR THE ENGINE....next you can blow thousands more with minimal results.

also what is the injector prefector ??

And does everyone think i should use the cal mds weights

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Call Kelsey at rkt. he can answer all ur clutching and pipe questions. (that guy knows how to set a M7 up) I got his secondary kit and head this year, I thought it was a huge improvement over stock. for a stock motor the injector perfector works good (thunderproducts.com). the rkt clutch will work with the 10.4 secondary. Im running 65 gram cat light tip weights, orange white primary spring. rkt 36/34 helix with his custom spring. 6000-9000'

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011
Call Kelsey at rkt. he can answer all ur clutching and pipe questions. (that guy knows how to set a M7 up) I got his secondary kit and head this year, I thought it was a huge improvement over stock. for a stock motor the injector perfector works good (thunderproducts.com). the rkt clutch will work with the 10.4 secondary. Im running 65 gram cat light tip weights, orange white primary spring. rkt 36/34 helix with his custom spring. 6000-9000'

thanks alot clears stuff up a ton ill just call him and get my dads friend whos a sled mechanic to help me i just wanted to look into the **** and firgure out what i wanted on my sled. i will be clutching mine for about 5000-9000ft so it will pretty much be setup like yours. Im going to run the secondary kit and the 10.4 clutch because i keep hearing good about both and have heard they are really good together just wanted to clarify.

Also should i do anything with the gearing?? or should i just do the spring weights helix and secondary kit and the 10.4 clutch??

So should i put the injector perfector on ?? I dont think i should cause my engine isnt stock and i dunno if its worth it ????

Also did you have to run a fuel controller with your rkt head ?? or ecu reflash ??

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I run the injector perfector before i got the head. stock fuel mapping with the head. leave the gearing alone. track speed is everything.

C
Mar 20, 2011
I run the injector perfector before i got the head. stock fuel mapping with the head. leave the gearing alone. track speed is everything.

so this is the plan tell me what you guys think.

No on the injector prefector because the sled isnt stock

10.4 clutch yes

rk teck diamond drive clutch kit yes

gearing no leave it how it is

wieghts yes what brand and grams ??? need some help here still lets get on this topic

helix yes also what degree

lets get on those 2 topics now. and what do you guys think of the plan ???

also can i run the d&d shift assit ??? is it possible or good idea or helful with the 10.4 and rkteck diamond drive cluctc upgrade??

thanks for all the help so far guys its really helpfull thanks reallly needed it

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you go RKT, talk to him about what will work best with his kit, if you go mds... same deal. Two different ways to skin the same cat, but go with one system or the other. Like I said over there, the 10.4 will work well for you (switch to the 046 belt btw) and will work well with the RKT clutch.

C
Mar 20, 2011
If you go RKT, talk to him about what will work best with his kit, if you go mds... same deal. Two different ways to skin the same cat, but go with one system or the other. Like I said over there, the 10.4 will work well for you (switch to the 046 belt btw) and will work well with the RKT clutch.

ok and ya i thought forget about the d&d shift assit just got lots ideas running through my head. so im going to do the rk tek with the 10.4 and then for wieghts springs and helix what do you guys think ?? Just wanna know what you guys think then gonna go with the rk tek and 10.4 bdx and ask kelsey at rk tek what i should use for springs weights and what helix and what brands. Thats the plan what do you guys think ???

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
RKT has a lot of happy customers. Personally I am stepping up to his 800 kit for my M7 with the Torsional conversion on the 10.4 I already have for next year on My 05 M7. SUppose to run as good as an 800 H.O.

Premium Features