• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1.507 is the best alignment?

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
So everyone knows that the 2010's run the 1.5 alignment bar and the pre 2010's ran 1.6 alignment but before that the 10" secondary M's ran the 1.5 bar.

So technically speaking if I can get 1.507 with my 05 M7 running the 2009 10.4" secondary that is the best alignment right???

Guys with 2008's for example have to shim the motor over to get the preferred alignmet of 1.507 but my older sled (05, M7) will do it just by removing most of the shims from the non reversing Diamond Drive.

I think I will just align my clutch to the 1.655 bar then tak out .148 shim and call it good since I already have the 1.655 bar.

Does this sound correct??

Is my secondary going to hit anything that far in? I have to look it over and figure that out still.

Should I be running the 060 belt rather than the 046 since I can get my clutch that far over?

My head hurts...:face-icon-small-con

D
Nov 28, 2007
I feel the best secondary for the 05 is the 10". As they wear they will be harder to get. BUT because you have the 10.4" you are better off milling the back side of the secondary. Have it cut where the shims sit .125" smaller or that much taken off the inner hub. Have them cut the splines inside deeper as well. If you do not have the splines cut deeper you can have the splines ramp together inside the secondary and stick on. It can come off but it will save you a trip to the shop again.

With a hammer tap the foot well brace. YOu will see that the 10.4 with out a spring at full shift will hit the brace. Just a smack with a hammer will take care of it. With your 8.5" primary and well set up you can shift it out.

Lake runners are milling the back of the 10" as well as moving the motor and running the polaris IQ belt. Then with the 8.5" primary they are cutting the inner hub of the primary and running loose deflection. This starts the sled in second gear. Running more tip weight and getting more over drive. Seen a dude run the polaris belt right out of the top of the 8.5" primary.

IN your case milling the back of the secondary is best. YOu can always add shims if you go in to much but you will have more room to move in as the belt wears. Using the ABC primary bolt will let you keep belt to sheave tight as the belt wears as well. Then keep moving the secondary in to keep the heat down. With this fixed secondary if the right deflection and off set are not maintained belt failure is iminat. As the belt wears and thins the secondary needs to be moved in. That as it thins the fixed sheaves need to move closer together to keep the same pinch on the warn belt. IF you can't move the secondary in for this warn belt it will pop in time.

So you milling the back of the secondary is better then if you need to move the motor you can as well.

The 060 needs the secondary in more as well as 2 gram less on the fly weights. The sticky belt will stretch like a rubber band then thin like a worn belt. Loses grip on the belt between the two fixed sheaves and you see heat. This heat will make the sticky belt stick more and make the thinning worse and so on till it pops. If your not making the power or getting the power to the ground this problem is not seen as badly.

Don.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I actually just got that 10.4" secondary thinking it was an upgrade from my original 10". I was looking to improve snap right off the line so I figure it would logically be better. I really am trying to get my sled responsive for working it in the tight trees I run on the New Hampshire / Canada border. I hate having to rev the motor to get it to engage so I went to the gold spring and figured the bigger secondary and lower gearing a put in would get the sled to do more at a lower RPM. I have a while befor I get snow to ride out here though so I have plenty of time to play musical clutching :face-icon-small-hap

D
Nov 28, 2007
I actually just got that 10.4" secondary thinking it was an upgrade from my original 10". I was looking to improve snap right off the line so I figure it would logically be better. I really am trying to get my sled responsive for working it in the tight trees I run on the New Hampshire / Canada border. I hate having to rev the motor to get it to engage so I went to the gold spring and figured the bigger secondary and lower gearing a put in would get the sled to do more at a lower RPM. I have a while befor I get snow to ride out here though so I have plenty of time to play musical clutching :face-icon-small-hap

This 10.4 will do just what you are looking for. It will lower your effective gearing for the tight and twistys. The biggest thing that you can do for what your looking for is to keep your belt to sheave in the primary to .020". This will let your clutch grab the belt nice and smooth with out the shock to the track and blowing the rug out.

If you can get the off set right and nice tight belt to sheave she will be a very fun ride in the trees. No need to do much to the clutching but that primary spring.

Cheers Don.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I finally got back to playing with my clutch again. With the 1.655 bar I have .075 shim spacing behind it so removing all spacing gets me 1.580 which is about halfway to the 1.507.

After I took the spring out I saw where it hit the gusset at the top of he footwell so I ground it back a little for clearance. It was just where the holes had a flare to them.

So I have it on with no alignment washers running 1.580 offset. I figure that should be better than I was at 1.655 so I will go with that for now unless I have heat issues but most of my pulls are relatively short so hopefully it won't be.

I ended up putting the original white spring from the 10" back it witht he two black plastic spacers and the shift assist. Hopefull that combined witht he lowered gearing will get me what I want.

I will grab one of those ABC bolts when I have the money to get my primary perfected.

D
Oct 20, 2008
If you need to have the inside of the secondary milled, Speedwerx does this for $75 if you take the clutch apart yourself and send, otherwise they charge more.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I ran it all season. I did blow two belts but I don't exactly break belts in properly. Seemed to work fine but I didn't check my belt temps. It is logical though.

Premium Features