• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HEATING An Enclosed Trailer ???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
:)im putting a vent free heater (not sure wich brand) in my 27 foot enclosed trailer. I know the diffrence between infared (heats the objects) and a blue flame (like central air and heats the air first). I would like to know if anyone has tried both of these and witch one the prefer and why. im looking at putting a 30,000 btu heater in any help would be great

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
do a search. there are several great quality threads on this exact question. the only way to go is a forced air furnace and create your own set of duct work to accomodate your needs. other heaters will work, but not the extent of a forced air.

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
thanks noob, but, there is always a but. im going to put in a vent free then no worries when the trailer has been sitting if the batteries are dead and, i dont want to pull the truck out of the garage. or we will leave it at the cabin and drive the car to the hill.. and then also just no duct work i really think it is ugly and in the way i have done a search on the vent free but none to my liking i appriciate and info and thanks again

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
I have a catabolic (sp?) in mine so we don't worry about being in the trailer and killing ourselves with exhaust. It works well without a fan to force the air and the trailer isn't insulated. There is no battery draw and the installation was easy. Great thing is that it takes up no space! No heater to hit your head on or take away sled room!!!

If it had a fan and the trailer were insulated it would be even better. The riding buddies are always flippn' me crap about hangin out in there to dress... until I let a couple of them in... ha

Hauler

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
Sled Hauler 07
I tried to look at catabolic (sp?) but no returns im curious is yours a blue flame or infared and what btu do you have im looking at a comfort glow or a procom wall mount around 30,000 btu love that there only 8 inches deep and no vent

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
not sure what the dif is but it glows red on a kind of ceramic square thing. it does have a little blue pilot light tho... haha

I wanna say its a 11 k but maybe it's bigger. in the coldest months it is warmest near the heater but comfortable thru out. in the summer and fall we use the trailer for camping (have table, beds/benches and toy hauler stuff that goes in and out easy, plus load the motox bikes) and it keeps the whole trailer comfortable on cool nights or mornings.

i put mine near the nose on the side oposite front ramp, about 15" (followed instructions) off ground. fabbed up a mount that attaches to the frame and made a platform to hold a 30lb bottle (propane) on the nose outside but far enough back to not interfer (sp?) with jack knifing the trailer or the 20' roll out awning I have on the curbside... guess you get the idea about this being my sled / red neck (cheap and light) toyhauler for summer trailer. haha

good luck.

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
Still dont know wich one is better

The brands im looking at are procom and comfort glow, around a 30,000btw. You can buy them on ebay and the other cheapest place is norther tool. thanks sledhauler07 im also going to put it in the front of the trailer opposite the ramp door.

Im looking to put an RV propane tank that is a side mount, and mount it under the trailer to the frame. SO if anyone reading this has one for sale or might know where to get one i would be intrested Ebay is really expensive all i need is a used one from a wrecked RV.

And also im still looking for someone that can tell me witch one is better the infared or the blue flame

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
I think you would be OK with the procom 30 blue. I bought a smaller red and my buddies blue seems to do the trick a little better. I would definately buy the blower option for a 27ft trailer!! :beer;:beer;

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Staple 1/2" pex pipe @ 9" in on center. Pour 1 1/2" lightwieght concrete on top of the floor and then install a hi efficiency Buderus boiler. You would be set for life. If you got a divorce, give her the house because you would be alot more comfortable sleeping in the trailor. :)

I put a procom blue flame heater in my 25' trailer and it works great. I also installed a propane tank from a automobile conversion kit under my trailer. We usuall have lots of people in our trailer when we get back from a ride. I think mine was a 28,00 btu.

P
Jan 12, 2008
Basin, Wyoming
just a word to the wise if you are only heating the air, then everytime you open the door you let out all the heat. but if you use a radiant heater then the heat will be maintained in the objects that have already been heated. Just a thought, I'm in the business and thought i would share this with you.

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
thanks plumber that is why im still not sure wich one to go with im with you when you open the door you loose all your heat but what if it is just the guys standing around in there putting on clothes for a few minutes. they need to make a dual purpose.

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
just a word to the wise if you are only heating the air, then everytime you open the door you let out all the heat. but if you use a radiant heater then the heat will be maintained in the objects that have already been heated. Just a thought, I'm in the business and thought i would share this with you.

I agree with this statement, but how are you going to maintain the heat in the "objects"?? The Buderus Boiler option would be fantastic if you had a 500 gal tank and $5000.00! Typically you are always just getting dressed, tinkering on the sleds, or perhaps throwing back a cold one and the blue flame will take the edge off a lot quicker for a reasonable price!! If you are planning on making this optional lodging then this thread needs to take a different direction. As I said before, I BOUGHT an infared and I regret it, never mind the fact I have a Masters license in HVAC!!

Last edited:
Premium Features