• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many of you would pay more $$ for a USA built sled

Would you pay more $$ for a USA built sled over a sled built in Mexico??

• Total voters
S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
With all the talk about Polaris I thought I would put up a poll. How many of you would pay more $$ for a USA built sled. I am not sure how much more we would have to pay so it is hard to put a price on it but I don't think our sleds will be any cheaper even with the move to mexico maybe I am wrong??

So vote away.

Ow ya I voted YES

Thanks

R
Dec 10, 2007
I forgot Thanks. I live in Wi. and feel very sorry for the people who worked very hard for that greedy co. To sell out to Mexico. If Harley is next I will feel the same way.Thank You for letting me vent.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
How is this different from buying a Canadian made product?

Or a product with Canadian made parts in it?

Would you pay more for a USA built sled over a sled built in Canada?... oh wait.. the free ride already costs $13,500 USD... That would be pretty hard to sell.

HMM.

Outsourcing is outsourcing regardless: Mexico, Malaysia, Montreal or Mongolia...
And besides... The sled mfg at Polaris... at least for the time being remains in Roseau, MN... USA...

Would you sell your GM/Ford/Dodge truck because it is either built in Mexico or has a large portion of parts made in Mexico?

I can see both sides of the coin... mentioned it in another thread here.

Not as simple as it might look.

Yamaha is a Japanese company.
Arctic Cat uses Suzuki motors in most of their products.
Ski Doo... Canadian... Rotax originally a German company. I believe that their engines are built in Gunskirchen, Austria

At least we didn't fight the Mexicans in WWII. (grin)

Loosing the manufacturing jobs in the US seems to be a modern day reality

Last edited:
S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
"How is this different from buying a Canadian made product?"

Read the ^ a few times over to yourself and then can anyone honestly say it no different comparing our friends up north to Mexico??. Not going to go into detail but this is just my 2cents.

Yes I agree sleds are overpriced but I still think we in the USA can make changes to overcome the problems to keep the plants in the states. But it is a free world and I am sure Polaris will do just fine I just feel strongly on this issue.

Maybe I should have put more options in the poll as well.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I stand by what I say....

I'm not talking about an immigration problem here... I'm talking about Exporting our labor.

How is Polaris making parts in a foreign land different from AC or Doo making parts in a foreign land?

Are Austrian workers making parts in Austria better for the USA than Mexican workers making parts in Mexico ... Both are Owned by the Snowmobile companies themselves.

Don't take this wrong... If you want to see my in depth thoughts check out this post of mine. CLICK HERE

Last edited:

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I agree I think they should stay in the states but like many have said in other places the workers here are over paid for what they do. It's hard to find good help. You can see in some sleds that some people just don't care and slap it together to get the pay check. It goes out to the consumer with nothing but problems. If they can move it down to Mexico and find good help that actually want to work then they will have a better line. Like I said I would rather see it stay in the US because I feel for the people that are going to be hurting from loosing there jobs but in a way I can see the CEOs side.

As for the Pole I don't think I would pay more for a US sled because I don't think people that put them together in the US care as much.

I'm probally going to get flamed for posting this.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
flamethrower.jpg

There...you are flamed!!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
oooops.you guys please continue bashing american workers and stick up for the
move.im outa this thread:)

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I think sleds are already high enough in price. And we all love the technology that has come out in the past few years but I feel as if they are getting expensive. But then again if you look at what they have done with sleds now I don't think they are out of line either. You pay for better technology which in the end benefits everyone of us.

Made in Mexico or not as long as it is built with pride thats all I would ask for. If American workers are getting lazy then you can't blame them for moving over the country line to find someone who puts pride into there work:)

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Business is about being the least of all evils. You need to be the best or equal price and the best quality to sell your product. I would defiantly pay more for a product that is of very high quality as long as it is in the ballpark of the rest of the sleds mfgs. I dont like the idea of shipping jobs off to mexico. And I have a hard time believing that there aren't any US workers who are willing to work hard. Its all about making more money. You know that with the product being made for less isn't going to make its costs go down. It just means that Polaris will have more of a profit. Thats their prerogative but personally I think they would have been better off moving the factory to another part of the US, retain some respect and still employ american workers. Keep that title of "Made in the USA". With alot of people its more than just a label, its another selling point.

C
Feb 16, 2010
No first world worker, union or non, can compete with a third world worker in an honest comparison. To believe otherwise is folly. Our economy is comprised of many components. Remove one leg of that stool and see what happens.

This is bigger than Polaris.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)

Truer words have never been spoken.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Snowmobiler,

Not bashing the American worker at all (at least not me). My comment above before You pulled your own post (not me) was made because just didn't feel that your post about American "overpaid lazy noncaring workers" , even though you were trying to be facetious and make a point, was a bit of "gas on the fire" rather than presenting a good point like I have seen you do in many other posts.

Here is a post I made quite a while ago that seems relevant to this discussion here. This represents some of my thoughts on pride and the American worker.

Then again, my bikes aren't made in America by Americans who take no pride in their work yet require large American wages.

There are plenty of Americans that take pride in their work. And some that don't as well.

It takes a "large American wage" to live in the USA...even more so now with the price of EVERYTHING going up.

I'm not sure if it is a lack of pride on the part of the factory worker or the fact that corporate orders mandate that the assembly line be run in such a fashion that
the worker has no time to setup this stuff correctly at the factory.

This is coupled with the pressures for wage cuts in the face of global outsourcing that eliminates many jobs in our country every year. The consumer votes with
their dollars on what they TRULY prefer... or want to believe. Many may not like that the majority of our consumer products in the USA are made in foreign lands,
but they will still buy their stuff at Wallmart every week.

Many members on this forum are very frustrated by the cost of the aftermarket parts for our sleds... I'd bet more than 95% of them are made in the USA and that
is why the cost is so high... I dont see the owners of Edgeworks or Fire N Ice driving around in New Escalades and putting a new 10,000 sq ft addition on their homes....
It's the cost of making things in the USA...

We all want it "CHEAPER and BETTER".... or we want to belive that the quality can be maintained or improved for less cost.... It's just human nature!

I grew up in the Detroit area... lots of auto workers in my neighborhood... some of them were lazy SOB's that would not put a bolt in a fender correctly...
but others who took great pride in their work but were not allowed by time constraints dictated by the management do the good work they wanted to do.
It is super frustrating for a line worker when the time allotted for performing their task is not made by someone who actually knows how to do the task...
and I'm talking about quality minded, apple pie eatin survivors of the depresion that know what pride in their work and our country is all about.

All of these decisions are made in an environment, our laws, that require public owned companies (like Polaris, Exxon, Blue-Cross, etc...) to maximize profits for
their share holders. It's a pretty complicated "tangled web" in our society. A multi-variable equation if you will that is upset greatly when you change the different
factors that affect the system.

These are the same profit-margin pressures that prevent the factory from making a recall or free service on obvious flaws in a design.

Profit maximization should be REQIRED by the S.E.C. to include a component of sustainability (for our country's economy and security) as well as maintaining the quality
of a product. If a company is expected to increase profits when the costs are skyrocketing [check the cost of copper, plastic, steel and fuel lately] and still turn out a
quality product and increase their shareholders earnings... that is a recipe for disaster...not just for Polaris, Cat and Ski-Doo... but for our USA as a society.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you know...being in Canada..i do many times pick the MADE IN USA products over products that are made overseas(we don;t have alot of MADE IN CANADA OPTIONS)..and i do believe that many of the MADE IN USA products are made with pride and will have abit of an edge on others..i do ride Cat..but SUZUKI saved Cat from obliviation..but back to the heart of the matter..its up to the industry leaders and owners and management to keep the fruits and pride in the workplace...if rotten seed is planted...well the fruits are not nutritional..the opposite...poisened...the people HAVE NOT FAILED CORPORATE AMERICA.....corporate america have FAILED the people

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
My Duramax has an Izuzu motor in it and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Half the truck is metric, half is standard. My point is that American made isn't 100% American made.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I wasn't really trying to bash American workers (the old work force)also but I have seen a lot of it in my home town when bobcat moved (entire other topic there). The younger generation (my Generation, the new work force) to be honest isn't worth a sh*t Majority of them don't want to work and just want to get a pay check to party it away.

Premium Features