• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
I've been meaning to measure these side by side for a while, for anyone that was curious. I know some guys are snapping these off in the crank...

If the photos don't show up, please let me know.

IMG_20240129_160538760.jpg
IMG_20240129_160822778.jpg
IMG_20240129_160916525.jpg

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
Polaris offers a clutch bolt, like the Titanium one shown, solid to set the clutch at 150 Ft lbs then put the taper stock bolt on at 100 lbs...Crazy. The stock bolt is a Grade 8 and be torqued to 140-150 and leave it....Torque the clutch on with stock steel bolt then take it out and put in Ti ai 80-90 lbs is all they say....I would be afraid to use the Ti bolt is it breaks off you wont get it out...My Theory on the clutch falling off is the oil they coat the steel areas of the clutch to be shipped over on container to keep from rusting. then they never clean them at the factory before installing. Just a theory....The clutch wont set with oily surface...thus it start spinning and unscrews the bolt. We send Lapping compound with every P22 we balance to sue before installing back on...becoming an issue with some many....

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
Polaris offers a clutch bolt, like the Titanium one shown, solid to set the clutch at 150 Ft lbs then put the taper stock bolt on at 100 lbs...Crazy. The stock bolt is a Grade 8 and be torqued to 140-150 and leave it....Torque the clutch on with stock steel bolt then take it out and put in Ti ai 80-90 lbs is all they say....I would be afraid to use the Ti bolt is it breaks off you wont get it out...My Theory on the clutch falling off is the oil they coat the steel areas of the clutch to be shipped over on container to keep from rusting. then they never clean them at the factory before installing. Just a theory....The clutch wont set with oily surface...thus it start spinning and unscrews the bolt. We send Lapping compound with every P22 we balance to sue before installing back on...becoming an issue with some many....
That's an excellent theory TJ and was/is likely affecting some units more than others. I do think there are a good handful of issues with the P22 that are contributing... I like it but it sure needs help. I managed 1800kms on my original P22 before I took a new one on warranty (I shipped that straight to you). My Ti bolt has over 2200kms now, new one going in tomorrow. Balanced, lapped and indexed with a few little tweaks, mines doing well so far this year. I'm running a 2023 P22 (original spider)... for meow.

Who's broken their Ti primary bolt? I'm sure there's a few by now.

F
Dec 30, 2019

So if I pull the clutch on a new 9R to lap it onto the crank, when re-installing can I just skip the installation step of using the separate bolt, and just torque the original bolt back to 110ft/lbs? I think I have seen separate posts where you recommend going to 125ft/lbs….

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
So if I pull the clutch on a new 9R to lap it onto the crank, when re-installing can I just skip the installation step of using the separate bolt, and just torque the original bolt back to 110ft/lbs? I think I have seen separate posts where you recommend going to 125ft/lbs….
Why? Why would you want to do something different than recommended by the factory?

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I don’t want to necessarily want do something different. I’m just wondering if lapping addresses the root cause and negates the need for that step. Curious to know if @carbontj still deems that a necessary step in his installations.
Ahhh. Good question. I didn’t look at it that way. I’m picking up what your putting down

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I would do torque at min of 140 ft lbs...150 wont hurt either...

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Yes....that just about Military grade....those cant be cheap.....
This is what I'm seeing on the parts fiche. Usually there's a note saying the part number has superceded a dofferent part number, but not on this one.

Also, i never realized that the P22 is nearly double the price of a p85. E start version is just under $1200.

Screenshot_20240215_071730_Chrome.jpg

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The p22 price keeps going up. In 2022 my p85 was $750 cnd. And a p22 $760 cnd.

Premium Features