• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
my 37 yo son that i ride with is a airframe propulsion mechanic at alaska-horizon. i get my torque wrenches recalibrated through him. get a little cert tag, very cool

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Chadly the clutching sounds lethargic. You are a great rider and y’all would be better with proper clutching. Sounds like there’s something wrong in the primary clutch. The back shift is also quite lazy. In addition, it went from 8300 to 8450 crossing a track which shows clutching can be improved. It should hold rpm better but messing with the P22 is mostly a waste of time and money.

I recommend a p85 primary and secondary clutch from TRS. Buy both from him and he will set them up and send them to you. You would just have to bolt on the clutches with a new belt. Put the stock clutches back on when selling. Then u can transfer the good clutches to your next sled.
It’ll be a totally different sled. You will get a woody.

Agreed, that thing sounds like an absolute dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
View attachment 402029
may have done this a time or two
This is a common picture of secondary I have been saying it is way out of balance..Look straight across from the MISSING defection bolt for the P22..always 10-16 holes to try and balance it..that much Alum will not make up for the 1.25 defection bolt and lock nut...Polaris should have left the bolt in a dummied it in...I put the defection bolt back in on 9 out of 10 secondaries too get it balanced...

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I made it over 500 miles yesterday and the old P22 didn't explode. Finally got a deep storm. How's my stock clutching sound Rusty??? Am I leaving 30 hp on the table??? ?

Clutching sounds off for sure. Backshift is very lazy as well. A properly clutched Boost is a amazing sled to ride on a deep day. You are leaving a far amount of performance on the table with your current set up.

R
Oct 8, 2008
This must be a real issue. I have no dog in this fight but I did go to buy a 2023 9R Khaos 146 here in the Northeast today. The sled only has 310 miles on it and I heard a strange noise which I though was coming from the clutch but sounded more like it was coming from the belt drive. Well then I heard a severe clunking backing up. I wasn't even moving yet. Tried again noise got worse and at that point I knew it was coming from the clutch. The primary had come right off, bolt backed out. I was only trying to back up so it wasn't violent at all I actually wasn't even moving yet. The seller was quite embarrassed but not his fault. Curous to see what they do to fix it because the shaft did look to have splines on it that definitely had wear and were rounded off.

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
This must be a real issue. I have no dog in this fight but I did go to buy a 2023 9R Khaos 146 here in the Northeast today. The sled only has 310 miles on it and I heard a strange noise which I though was coming from the clutch but sounded more like it was coming from the belt drive. Well then I heard a severe clunking backing up. I wasn't even moving yet. Tried again noise got worse and at that point I knew it was coming from the clutch. The primary had come right off, bolt backed out. I was only trying to back up so it wasn't violent at all I actually wasn't even moving yet. The seller was quite embarrassed but not his fault. Curous to see what they do to fix it because the shaft did look to have splines on it that definitely had wear and were rounded off.
That just flat out sucks, 310 miles on it and for what these things cost? Bummer. Does Polaris have a fix or do they just put a new bolt in or clutch on or whatever?

R
Oct 8, 2008
The seller is bringing it to the dealer tomorrow to see how it will be addressed. The trouble is here in New England a 9R is basically a unicorn because very few dealers, maybe 1, in all of New England were allocate any for 2023 snow check.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Most (all?) P-22 owners should be checking their primary bolt torque regularly. Mine took a half turn to get to 110 ft lbs.

Sorry you had that experience on a new/used sled. If the bolt isn't bent, hopefully you can get back out there quickly.

C
Dec 14, 2020
The seller is bringing it to the dealer tomorrow to see how it will be addressed. The trouble is here in New England a 9R is basically a unicorn because very few dealers, maybe 1, in all of New England were allocate any for 2023 snow check.

If you buy it, get a p85 and replace it next time it acts up.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
Most (all?) P-22 owners should be checking their primary bolt torque regularly. Mine took a half turn to get to 110 ft lbs.

Sorry you had that experience on a new/used sled. If the bolt isn't bent, hopefully you can get back out there quickly.
Rush job in the factory (bolts backing out) but for the guys that retorque again and again, I feel like they're breaking a lot of bolts still. Anyone else think those bolts are stretching? Can only stretch and retorque so many times. After a couple hundred KMs I cleaned threads in and out, torqued to 110, marked with a sharpie and let er buck. It may stretch but hasn't turned. Some guys saying change em every 1000kms... wont hurt. I'm at 1500k and no issue.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Normally, if a bolt has to be re-torqued, it's because it's backing out, which it shouldn't do unless it's under-torqued or needs some kind of mechanical lock due to vibration. Only torque-to-yield bolts shouldn't ever be re-torqued. On the other hand, if it's too little bolt trying to do too much, it's going to stretch... It'd be a good idea to mark the bolt head to see if they're actually backing out. I'm not sure if it's the same as a P-85 where you have to retorque because the clutch will move up the taper after heat cycling, but while the bolt will always take some torque on the first cycle, and sometimes once again, you'll typically hit that torque without budging the bolt from then on. Anyway, the question I'd have if I'm constantly having to re-torque it is whether the bolt is backing out or stretching. If it's stretching, then I'd be looking for a new bolt after a couple times re-torquing it. Seems like it's an eventual failure either way: either the bolt stretches until it can come loose and the clutch fails, or you re-torque regularly, and at some point the bolt snaps and the clutch fails.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The bolt on a P-22 is stretching and it loses torque. I’ve checked and verified this. Bolt shouldn’t break being retorqued before hitting the acceptance spec. The spider not being retained to the fixed sheeve is the reason. 110ft lbs does not equal 250ft lbs.

These things are time bombs.

Polaris, do better.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The bolt on a P-22 is stretching and it loses torque. I’ve checked and verified this. Bolt shouldn’t break being retorqued before hitting the acceptance spec. The spider not being retained to the fixed sheeve is the reason. 110ft lbs does not equal 250ft lbs.

These things are time bombs.

Polaris, do better.
Does Chadly know about this clutch issue?

Premium Features