• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST TO RIDE... PT-II ...2013 PRO RMK DEMO RIDE THIS MORNING... WOOOO HOOOO!!

T
Dec 25, 2007
Anyone who thinks that a guard is going to stop a person who was already set on being the lowest human on earth and cutting a belt is wrong. Pretty sure if they feel that evil even a locked trailer isn't going to stop them. Anyway, I really feel that the average human is better than that. Perhaps I am wrong? Hope not...:noidea:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but wouldn't it be quite easy for some punk who's mad at life to come and say, pop open your side, CUT YOUR BELT, and button it up all nice and neat and wait for you to figure it out????

I'd really like to see a guard on this drive. With a good sharp knife, an A-Hole with nothing better to do could really ruin your weekend. :face-icon-small-sad

If your really that worried about someone sabatoging your ride you should quit pissing people off! LOL
Secondly carry an end wrench, remove the upper sprocket bolt and pull the sprocket off and remove the belt. Could even wear it as a neck less for some sled junkie bling factor.

I'm glad I live where we don't have to stress over stuff like that.

F

fiddynick

Dec 16, 2011
Rodger,

Still center driver... but a redesigned extruded aluminum driveshaft that does not seem to hold ice (we were riding the same conditions that would have iced up a dragon easily)

The running boards will be able to be retrofitted... but no word on part numbers or prices yet.... Word is that P.I. is considering offering these in the accessories catalog next season.

How would they install? Something like airframes??

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm just saying guys, I've seen some pretty crappy things done to folks sleds, and other property is all. It's not about having faith in "humanity," it just looks like one more thing susceptible to vandalism. The idea of someone cutting your drive belt is not a dumb reason for a cover, it's a great reason! How cheap would something like that cost? Mere dollars per sled? I mean, why not have one?

Also, anybody saying, "That's just a dumb reason to put a cover on it. They could cut ANYTHING in the engine..." Is not thinking straight.

That's the same logic as saying, "Why close my garage door, or, lock the doors while I'm gone? If they want something, they'll just take it anyway." Yet I doubt you sleep with the doors to your home open, your shop doors rolled all the way up with the lights on at night, and leave your keys in the car parked on a busy street.

We lock and cover things so that if someone DOES decide they want what I have, or for some reason, really want to tear up a piece of property, they can inflict MINIMAL damage. I'd rather pay an extra $15 bones ontop of the total price of a sled then buying a whole new drive belt at what is sure to be more then the cost of a piece of stamped aluminum, with 4-5 bolts. And don't forget about replacing "anything else" a vandal might damage through his journey of mayhem that is mine, or anyone else's sled.

In regards to the comment of, "It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut this drive belt."

Panels come off relatively easy, and a drive belt is what, 1/10th the width of a track? I'll race you, I try cutting that drive belt, and you try sawing the track in half, and we'll see who wins. Tracks are tuff as hell to cut off. If you don't believe me, take a utility knife to one and see how long it takes you to cut one clean across, have fun! :face-icon-small-hap

That is the craziest reason to date for a cover over the belt drive. This tops getting your fingers caught. Lock it up. It is just as easy to get to the ecu, cut your seat, bash your hood. Clutch has a cover and you can still get at belt with cover on. If somebody is intent on vandlizing your sled, a cover over the belt drive isn't going to do spit to stop them. Move to a different area and enjoy a lighter weight sled.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Thank you

Ahhh yes, the ol' deuce in the intake. If someone dropped a deuce in my intake I would probably be horrified and mad at first, then I would probably be amazed at how much dedication and...flexibility that might take. If you were to make a "direct deposit", that would be a difficult position to find your balance in. Never mind aiming or dealing with the cold.:shocked:

Thank you for that! I'm in the hospital with a broken femur and collar bone and that just made my day. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Quite entertaining but I thought this was about the new 2013, not a tutorial on how to "sabotage" sleds. Bottom line, if someone wants to wreck your day bad enough.........................they just might.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
CORRECTION.

I just got a note from Polaris that the throttle block.

The throttle block IS a 3 piece design that can be removed from the bars without affecting the grips or heating element.

Sorry for the confusion.

I would have liked to see this new throttle block be made in two pieces that could easily be removed from the handlebars without removing the grips and heaters in case a bar-change or replacement needed to happen.

Last edited:
B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
That is the craziest reason to date for a cover over the belt drive. This tops getting your fingers caught. Lock it up. It is just as easy to get to the ecu, cut your seat, bash your hood. Clutch has a cover and you can still get at belt with cover on. If somebody is intent on vandlizing your sled, a cover over the belt drive isn't going to do spit to stop them. Move to a different area and enjoy a lighter weight sled.

Simple solution: Put a Yamaha cover on it:face-icon-small-coo

BCB

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
CORRECTION.

I just got a note from Polaris that the throttle block.

The throttle block IS a 3 piece design that can be removed from the bars without affecting the grips or heating element.

Sorry for the confusion.

The 3 piece throttle block must be more "flickable" than a simple 2 piece :face-icon-small-win LOL.

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
Just got back from demoing the 2013.......wow is all i can say! The boards were great....no icing issues at all....also i believe that pieces of the a-arm can be replaced rather than the whole thing....neat cost saving feature... this sled rips like no other and i would encourage anyone looking to upgrade to put one of these babies on snowcheck!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I rode a 2013 today at Seeley. Was in the 10:00 group this morning.

I'll put up a thread with pics and vids. Give me a while to get it together!!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Eric, Below is a copy and paste quote from Phatty about the handling of the 2013 compared to the 2012. Do you feel the same? The reason I ask is I own a brand new 2012 and find it hard to believe that the changes made would make the 2012 feel like the stone age. If this is the case what was the major component change on the 2013 to make it feel this way and do you think Polaris will have updates for the 2011,2012 PROS so our 2012 isn't outdated?... Thanks

Phatty's Quote

"So the 2013 handles like a dream. Burandts word is flickable. That word is definitly applicable to this sled. Its light, its nimble, its easy, responsive, and handles like a dream. Getting back on the 2012 felt like going to the stone ages. You can dance in the trees like never before, and i thought the 2012 pro was pretty awesome, but the 2013 is at a new level."

I would agree about how much easier it is to ride.

My snow today SUCKED. HARD with only a couple inches of powder. Hard to trench through it.
With that said....

The 2012 I rode today (Assault with 155 comp track) was HARD to hook and turn uphill. The 2013 I rode today was NOT hard to do that with.

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
You're kidding, right? Whats stopping them from pissing in your gas tank, dropping a duece in your intake, putting sand down your spark plug holes? It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut your drive belt and that would really ruin your day!

This had me laughing out loud, good one.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
thanks for the info on the throttle block, that will be nice. and thanks for answering the questions. that ratio is pretty much what it is now stock, 2.1:1 with the 20/42 combo. i think i would have preferred a slightly higher ratio, if for no other reason than to help with belt temps, but that is a pretty minor issue all things considered. (i still would prefer to have a cover...) so that top gear is a 21 tooth?

pv

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
****NOTE****According to other test pilots of the '13; and word of mouth from one of the engineers, these numbers are useless as they did not and apparently have no intention of providing more than one ratio for 2013. I for one will not buy a 2013 on that premise alone. Our usually wet heavy coastal snow requires a different ratio than a sled running powder snow in the Rockies at elevation would run, and for them to try and lump us all into one ratio is very short sided stupidity on the design engineers part. So in light of new rumors and information take the following with a grain of salt. It is a system that will work with the center to center distance of the stock sled but it is not apparently what Polaris is going to offer.

PV, I did the math on the new drive and with the stock 11', 12', and presumably 13' CtoC distance and the 70T 11mm Pitch Belt the first ratio shown ratio shown was likely a 26/44 for a ratio of 1.692:1 (a flat lander ratio) from analysis of the photo and referencing the Gates information. Keeping that center to center distance without a tensioner work out as follows;

35/35 for a obvious 1:1 ratio (These first few assume brake clearance)
34/36 for a 1.059:1
33/37 for a 1.121:1
32/38 for a 1.188:1
31/39 for a 1.258:1
30/40 for a 1.333:1
29/41 for a 1.414:1
28/42 for a 1.500:1
27/43 for a 1.593:1
26/44 for a 1.692:1
25/45 for a 1.800:1
24/46 for a 1.917:1
23/47 for a 2.043:1
22/48 for a 2.181:1
21/49 for a 2.333:1
20/50 for a 2.500:1
19/51 for a 2.684:1
18/52 for a 2.888:1
17/53 for a 3.118:1 (nearly the same Pitch diameter as the stock driver so it may not have enough clearance)

All these ratios are using the same 70T belt and no tensioner. As long as the tooth count adds up to 70T (coincidence it is the same as the belt?) you're golden with this design. The first half dozen ratios would be for the flat landers should the design get carried over to those sleds.

I have no inside knowledge of what Polaris has planned. (This is strictly from my personal knowledge of how the Gates belts could be utilized in a prototype drive I've been developing for nearly twenty years waiting for the technology to make it possible).

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My computer took a crap last night. It keeps shutting off.

Can't use the phone to upload pics.

My ride report thread will be delayed. Lol.

Premium Features