• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST TO RIDE... PT-II ...2013 PRO RMK DEMO RIDE THIS MORNING... WOOOO HOOOO!!

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
NOT BASHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would think that if this thing was ssooooo :director:much better than the 12 that would be the post.:face-icon-small-sad I am NOT brand loyal and ride a T- Nytro 585 full. I am looking for a lighter sled to which I can add HP. I was expecting much more of a positive report, more than the rib-eye.... sorry. I have run Polaris quads for 15 years had 2 Poo sleds and was really hoping this would be a great sled, with so much hype.:face-icon-small-blu Hopefully the next couple of days will answer some of our ??????'s. Remember JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
heres what he said....

Sorry for no updates from the hill, i got a little busy riding this sled and didnt want to stop.

So the 2013 handles like a dream. Burandts word is flickable. That word is definitly applicable to this sled. Its light, its nimble, its easy, responsive, and handles like a dream. Getting back on the 2012 felt like going to the stone ages. You can dance in the trees like never before, and i thought the 2012 pro was pretty awesome, but the 2013 is at a new level.

Some of the really cool features that they didnt announce are the new throttle assembly. The kill button is now seperate and lower down. no longer will be shut off with tree branches. The throttle is alot lighter(not quite as light as the cat) but way better. The running boards are awesome. Solid. they dont feel like they are going to give out at any moment like the 2011-12.

There are some really cool accessories coming out such as a backpack tunnel bag (can be worn as backpack or snapped on to tunnel,really trick) and a guage lifter heated bag for glooves or goggles. Didnt get a pic of it but i have some video (putting together a little edit )

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
thats him..skinny little runt isnt he...

somehow I missed the ride invite he sent out...go figure...

K.... with about 3 bottles of wine down...

My question to you Mike...

Would you have taken a flight from Anchorage to Utah to ride a new sled for a day???

If the answer is an certain "YES"... then I was wrong and you were missed.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
K.... with about 3 bottles of wine down...

My question to you Mike...

Would you have taken a flight from Anchorage Utah to ride a new sled for a day???

If the answer is an certain "YES"... then I was wrong and you were missed.
LOL..would in a heartbeat..but honestly couldnt have afforded to today eric...but would give my left nut for the oportunity someday...

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Wow, may have to get a new sled. Pics, Pics, Pics. We need more pictures! BTW, how is the scenery at the saloon????

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOT BASHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would think that if this thing was ssooooo :director:much better than the 12 that would be the post.:face-icon-small-sad I am NOT brand loyal and ride a T- Nytro 585 full. I am looking for a lighter sled to which I can add HP. I was expecting much more of a positive report, more than the rib-eye.... sorry. I have run Polaris quads for 15 years had 2 Poo sleds and was really hoping this would be a great sled, with so much hype.:face-icon-small-blu Hopefully the next couple of days will answer some of our ??????'s. Remember JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand "humble opinions"...

I'm human..

I'm tired.

I'll get to it tonight when I turn into a insomniac posting grind.

But I do like the passion that you post with... you people "rock" and I mean that sincerely...

Oh... yes.. It's not a "new game"... it's a better game like Phatty said above.
Excellent refinements of an already great platform.

BTW... The ribeye and conversation were great!!

Last edited:
A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Power output details?

Alright enough of that stuff. :ranger: I'm still trying to decide if this is the year to buy a Pro or to wait until Polaris steps it up in the engine department.

Can we please have more details on the power output and have any more ponies been added to the 2013? Are they holding anything back for the dealers meeting....?

Thank you for an excellent thread to date.

Appreciate it

akrevrider

Last edited:
D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
Alright enough of that stuff. :ranger: I'm still trying to decide if this is the year to buy a Pro or to wait until Polaris steps it up in the engine department.

Just my opinion... but if you keep waiting for the "next" greatest thing, you'll be waiting a long time. The Pro is the funnest sled I've ever ridden. The '13 is shaping up to be even better out of the box. Doesn't matter what they release for '14, I don't think you can go wrong buying one NOW.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Probably better than the HB I had. Will look forward to the real-world opinions T

Exactly the reason why the people on this ride were chosen.. they wont pull punches on the report and give you a real world opinion.

HP between the 2012 and 2013 protos... The 2013's had the edge... but nothing radical.. The throttle response was smoother to me... but in line with the 2011/12's I've ridden.

The power got to the track faster... you could feel, in the bars and through the sled.. the clutches working...

Plus the sled was much smoother when you commit to the hard-over "flop" ... there was NOT the abrupt "tipping point" that I felt with the '12 for the first part of the day... It was much more linear and controllable.

I'm dealing with some strength issues from a recent health problem... I was nervous going into today... would I be able to keep up or even make it fun for myself.... I spent less effort working with this sled than I've had with any other chassis to date... which is HUGE for me right now.

Last edited:
P

pinit

Nov 26, 2007
white sulphur springs montana
mountainhorse any change in the drivers or do we still have a center anitratchet that ratchets unless you have the track banjo string tight. and are the running boards removable from the tunnel hoping to be able to put them on my 12 thanks Rodger

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Rodger,

Still center driver... but a redesigned extruded aluminum driveshaft that does not seem to hold ice (we were riding the same conditions that would have iced up a dragon easily)

The running boards will be able to be retrofitted... but no word on part numbers or prices yet.... Word is that P.I. is considering offering these in the accessories catalog next season.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Eric, Below is a copy and paste quote from Phatty about the handling of the 2013 compared to the 2012. Do you feel the same? The reason I ask is I own a brand new 2012 and find it hard to believe that the changes made would make the 2012 feel like the stone age. If this is the case what was the major component change on the 2013 to make it feel this way and do you think Polaris will have updates for the 2011,2012 PROS so our 2012 isn't outdated?... Thanks

Phatty's Quote

"So the 2013 handles like a dream. Burandts word is flickable. That word is definitly applicable to this sled. Its light, its nimble, its easy, responsive, and handles like a dream. Getting back on the 2012 felt like going to the stone ages. You can dance in the trees like never before, and i thought the 2012 pro was pretty awesome, but the 2013 is at a new level."

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast

Can we please have more details on the power output and have any more ponies been added to the 2013? Are they holding anything back for the dealers meeting....?

Thank you for an excellent thread to date.

Appreciate it

akrevrider

AK...

I asked the Polaris people directly about the engine and if there was any news on a new motor...the reply was something like this...

For the 2013 model year the 800 DC-CFI 2 power-plant will remain in it's current configuration. There are some refinements with the engine.

The new sled felt like it had more power than the 2012 that I compared it to back-to-back... same hill, same time.

Much of that could have to do with the different drive system efficiency... or the lighter weight of the sled though.

I keep hearing the concern over more power.... but the riders today... some of them elite level riders like Phatty, Brandy and Jared were not let down by the performance.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Eric, Below is a copy and paste quote from Phatty about the handling of the 2013 compared to the 2012. Do you feel the same? The reason I ask is I own a brand new 2012 and find it hard to believe that the changes made would make the 2012 feel like the stone age. If this is the case what was the major component change on the 2013 to make it feel this way and do you think Polaris will have updates for the 2011,2012 PROS so our 2012 isn't outdated?... Thanks

Phatty's Quote

"So the 2013 handles like a dream. Burandts word is flickable. That word is definitly applicable to this sled. Its light, its nimble, its easy, responsive, and handles like a dream. Getting back on the 2012 felt like going to the stone ages. You can dance in the trees like never before, and i thought the 2012 pro was pretty awesome, but the 2013 is at a new level."

I have a lot of respect Phatty's opinion and Phatty as a man... One of the best people you would ever want to go riding with.

I would not put the 2012 sled in the "stone age" category though... but I'm a different caliber of rider than he is. (he's a much more talented rider)

I had the 2012 for the first half of the day to get the feel for that sled as my baseline... and my 2012 was setup well and was performing well... even after tagging a tree on an uphill pull right in front of Phatty and Brent (ouch)

What I did feel though was a more controllable sled when it came to getting the sled on edge. At a certain point in laying the sled over the 2012 would have this "tipping point" where much less effort was needed and I found myself needing to be mindful not to overcompensate and dump the sled... The 2013 felt much more linear in this regard and did not require as much rider input to keep from tipping over.

I Think that much of the improvement in feel is due to the lighter weight and the belt drive plus the overall rigidity of the chassis. The running boards and over-structure, being the major changes in chassis structure, made the chassis feel a bit stiffer and more responsive to minor shifts in weight... but this is not a major change in my view or feel of the sled.

The new running boards flat out work. Our group did not have problems with icing up and just standing on them cleared any snow buildup easily.

For our location, altitude and snow conditions the clutching seemed to be spot on and pulled consistently even when busting through the top layer into the sugar snow below it... After a couple of decent back to back pulls, I opened the side panel and did not notice any significant heat build up on either primary or secondary. I could not see the weighs or springs used and forgot to ask if any changes were made... I'll ask or one of the demo riders to follow will chime in here.

I dropped my camera early in the ride and it stopped working... I have only a few photos to share and will have to rely on the rest of our group to post up more of them.

Last edited:
Premium Features