• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST TO RIDE... PT-II ...2013 PRO RMK DEMO RIDE THIS MORNING... WOOOO HOOOO!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There was some ice and snow that had accumulated around the base of the belt drive in the pan

This did not seem to pose a problem for the belt or gearing.

Right now, Polaris does not have plans to offer different gear/belt combos according to their engineers. But that may change in the season to come.

The belt drive sprockets are electroless nickel plated for durability.

The center to center measurement remains the same as previous years... Tunnel clearance, which I've been critical of in the past, because of the "Sierra Cement" that I ride in, remains unchanged.

The belt was made in conjunction with Gates and is the same carbon fiber construction as that used in high hp V-twin primary and secondary drives.

Polaris tested the belt under extreme conditions during the development of the drive and assured us all that even if any teeth on the belt were stripped off... that the sled would still retain braking and be able to be driven out of the back country.... they also said that a severe load that would probably cause other problems wold have to encountered to damage the belt. Service life from the belt was said to be in the thousands of miles before replacement was necessary.

I have no idea on cost, but this drive system would be able to be retrofit to MY 11 and 12 sleds. In fact, the demonstration bare chassis on display had the new system fit to the previous year driveshaft.

picture.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Other observations that I have on the sled.

First would be the relocated kill switch... tucked away next to the mountain strap but accessible to serve its function... not something that I feel the need to wrap with something to hold it open.

picture.php

I would have liked to see this new throttle block be made in two pieces that could easily be removed from the handlebars without removing the grips and heaters in case a bar-change or replacement needed to happen.

The front suspension when parked nose to nose with the 2012 was the same width. The lower a arms were very stout as I found plenty of buried stumps and obstacles today... took some good hits that put me over the hood with no noticeable bending. The shocks are a bit shorter in length ONLY to accommodate the new design of the end forging. The bonded construction will not be a serviceable feature... meaning you will not be able to replace just one tube.. you will still need to buy the entire arm assembly for replacement.

picture.php

The Rear suspension is essentially the same as the previous two years... only change that I could see was the use of more compact front bogie wheels mounted inside the rails. I could not feel any difference in the shock package compared to the 2012 model I rode today.

The Driveshaft is redesigned.. It is now a very stout extruded aluminum shaft that will not collect as much snow or ice. 8 tooth, 2.86" pitch drivers with a center toothed driver are mounted to the shaft similar to previous years. I believe that this new shaft will not collect or build up ice like the previous models did in my observations today and in the past with 11's and 12's.

The track, I was told by the engineers, is the same series 5.1, 2.4" lug-height track that has been installed on previous M.Y. PRO chassis RMK's.

Engine.. All of our test sleds had the EPA compliance stickers for the 2013 MY on them... they are production motors that were built in the USA at the Osceola plant in WI....We were riding what I was told will be the engine in the sled for the 2013 MY. The torque link looks to be in a slightly different location... but the mounts themselves look the same.

Now remember... this is not the entire line of RMK's options for the year... simply one version of it in one color.. we all rode Black PRO RMK 155's. There will be, I'm sure, base model standard RMK's, longer tracks etc that will be outfitted differently than we re rode... This is simply a sneak peak that we were able to ride and for others to get a chance to throw a leg over for the remainder of the demo tour.

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Im glad to hear the belt drive would likley be a retrofit as well as the boards and the lower A arms gotta be stronger as there is no welding to aneil the metal arount the shock mount!! Thats probably a worthwile upgrade to those who hit stuff all the time!

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but wouldn't it be quite easy for some punk who's mad at life to come and say, pop open your side, CUT YOUR BELT, and button it up all nice and neat and wait for you to figure it out????

I'd really like to see a guard on this drive. With a good sharp knife, an A-Hole with nothing better to do could really ruin your weekend. :face-icon-small-sad

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
ok, a couple questions i have

1) do you happen to count or ask what the gear ratio is in the drive system? i was a geek and counted 44 teeth on the bottom gear but couldn't count the top.

2) disappointing the shocks are a different length due the the expensive i've spent on my current setup. but, HOW much shorter? it is going to be an issue to swap over my current setup?

3) did they say anything about the motors now being built by fuji?

i also was really hoping for a two piece throttle block with the relocated kill switch. was hoping the had finally got rid of the 1990's throttle block. i never really had an issue with the location of the kill switch, just put a rubber something underneath so it can still be used but can't be shut off on accident.

i probably would have flown down from ak for a day ride.... just saying. :)

pv

Last edited:
F

fiddynick

Dec 16, 2011
I have no idea on cost, but this drive system would be able to be retrofit to MY 11 and 12 sleds. In fact, the demonstration bare chassis on display had the new system fit to the previous year driveshaft.

YES. more reason to keep my 12 and wait to see if thing works out.

You think the boards will be offered as a P.I accessory?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
for those not buying b/c of the "weak" motor you need to spend some time on the sled rather than looking at dyno numbers (this is not intended to offend in any way). the motor runs very well, even my 11. even though there were no claims the 12s clearly ran stronger than the 11s and from what i have heard it will be similar for the 13s. they are not making claims but the 13s are suppose to run stronger than the 12s. plus, if you must have more power like me a pipe and head make a noticeable increase and is easy to slap on. with that said, the etec will still be stronger than the poo motor but the difference really isn't that big of a difference. plus the polaris chassis is clearly (imo) better than the current xp. will be interesting to see what changes doo makes.

pv

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
ok, a couple questions i have

1) do you happen to count or ask what the gear ratio is in the drive system? i was a geek and counted 44 teeth on the bottom gear but couldn't count the top.
2.09:1 I was told

2) disappointing the shocks are a different length due the the expensive i've spent on my current setup. but, HOW much shorter? it is going to be an issue to swap over my current setup? They did not say what the difference was.

3) did they say anything about the motors now being built by fuji?
They said the motors are still built by Polaris Industries at the Oscelola plant in Wisconsion... USA.

i also was really hoping for a two piece throttle block with the relocated kill switch. was hoping the had finally got rid of the 1990's throttle block. i never really had an issue with the location of the kill switch, just put a rubber something underneath so it can still be used but can't be shut off on accident.

i probably would have flown down from ak for a day ride.... just saying. :)

pv

Last edited:

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
That's one way of looking at the glass half empty. I like to have a little more faith in humanity than that.

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but wouldn't it be quite easy for some punk who's mad at life to come and say, pop open your side, CUT YOUR BELT, and button it up all nice and neat and wait for you to figure it out????

I'd really like to see a guard on this drive. With a good sharp knife, an A-Hole with nothing better to do could really ruin your weekend. :face-icon-small-sad

You're kidding, right? Whats stopping them from pissing in your gas tank, dropping a duece in your intake, putting sand down your spark plug holes? It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut your drive belt and that would really ruin your day!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL

Sorry but that's just a dumb reason to put a cover on it. They could cut ANYTHING in the engine and ruin the day. Spark plug wires, clutch belt, wiring harness, coolant lines.

Keep your sled locked up if you are worried about it.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
You're kidding, right? Whats stopping them from pissing in your gas tank, dropping a duece in your intake, putting sand down your spark plug holes? It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut your drive belt and that would really ruin your day!

Ahhh yes, the ol' deuce in the intake. If someone dropped a deuce in my intake I would probably be horrified and mad at first, then I would probably be amazed at how much dedication and...flexibility that might take. If you were to make a "direct deposit", that would be a difficult position to find your balance in. Never mind aiming or dealing with the cold.:shocked:

motor mounts

Moutain Horse,
With your comment of the the motor mounts having no change, are the engineers at polaris aware of the fact that the "finned" rubber bushings associated with the mounts are becoming loose fitting in there housing, thus allowing the motor to move and allowing the primary clutch to be lifted out of alignment with the secondary.
I pointed this out directly to James from polaris last weekend at the priest lake demo ride, and feel that it is an issue that must be addressed.

Clutches are running much hotter than they should be and belts are being worn prematurely, not to mention the possibility of other issues this could cause down the rode.

I greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into this wedsite, and all the updates and usefull information.

targhee77

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
I'm just saying guys, I've seen some pretty crappy things done to folks sleds, and other property is all. It's not about having faith in "humanity," it just looks like one more thing susceptible to vandalism. The idea of someone cutting your drive belt is not a dumb reason for a cover, it's a great reason! How cheap would something like that cost? Mere dollars per sled? I mean, why not have one?

Also, anybody saying, "That's just a dumb reason to put a cover on it. They could cut ANYTHING in the engine..." Is not thinking straight.

That's the same logic as saying, "Why close my garage door, or, lock the doors while I'm gone? If they want something, they'll just take it anyway." Yet I doubt you sleep with the doors to your home open, your shop doors rolled all the way up with the lights on at night, and leave your keys in the car parked on a busy street.

We lock and cover things so that if someone DOES decide they want what I have, or for some reason, really want to tear up a piece of property, they can inflict MINIMAL damage. I'd rather pay an extra $15 bones ontop of the total price of a sled then buying a whole new drive belt at what is sure to be more then the cost of a piece of stamped aluminum, with 4-5 bolts. And don't forget about replacing "anything else" a vandal might damage through his journey of mayhem that is mine, or anyone else's sled.

In regards to the comment of, "It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut this drive belt."

Panels come off relatively easy, and a drive belt is what, 1/10th the width of a track? I'll race you, I try cutting that drive belt, and you try sawing the track in half, and we'll see who wins. Tracks are tuff as hell to cut off. If you don't believe me, take a utility knife to one and see how long it takes you to cut one clean across, have fun! :face-icon-small-hap

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
In regards to the comment of, "It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut this drive belt."

Panels come off relatively easy, and a drive belt is what, 1/10th the width of a track? I'll race you, I try cutting that drive belt, and you try sawing the track in half, and we'll see who wins. Tracks are tuff as hell to cut off. If you don't believe me, take a utility knife to one and see how long it takes you to cut one clean across, have fun! :face-icon-small-hap

OK, you're on but the race will be I cut the track and you have to cut the drive belt and button it up all nice and neat, as to your original statement.

This new sled looks like it's going to kick a$$. I can't wait to ride one!

Premium Features