• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XCR 800 Mountain Triple - What Is the Easiest Way To Go?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Is a guy better off taking the 2000 xcr chasis and removing the stock tunnel and track and adding an Edge tunnel with Edge skid or is a guy better off taking the xcr motor and dropping it into a 2001 RMK Snow Check Special chasis?

I've searched around SnoWest and read through as many posts as I could find and it seems like all the guys have dropped the motor into the RMK chasis and then dealt with the plumbing and motor plate issues. Seems kinda like a major project actually. It seems to me it would be easier to just keep the motor in the 2000 xcr chasis and swap out the tunnel, skid and track?? Not looking to run more than camo challenger with 2 inch paddles. If this is not correct please help me understand why.

Thanks you guys!!!!!

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
XCR

I did this swap. Reason for RMK is weight. As you know weight is a big deal in a moutain sled. Mine weighted 522 no fuel. If you go with the Gen II, you can use any pipes for a stock 2000-2001 XCR chassis as well as steering post and air box as well as exhaust can cradle. If Edge the you will need custom pipes although the Gen II will be close. PSI1200 makes engine plates for both. Others make an adapter for the carbs that use 2001 XC air box. Mine had stock RMK coolers and cooled fine except on hard pack and scratchers cured that. The XCR chassis has lots more cooling and that is part of the weight issue. Hood and bulkhead weigh a ton too. I plumbed my cooling like the RMK, the XCR has a thermostat which I eliminated. Just let it warm up good before riding. I had the XCR oil bottle modified so it would fit in the same location as the XCr chassis but I could use the RMK tank and seat.
PM me if you decide to do this and I can give you a bunch of pointers. I'll try to attach some pictures. Second post in this link has a picture of mine.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83801&highlight=BB454

Do a search for XCR and you will find a bunch of posts.

Last edited:
F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
edge chassis will wind up that much lighter again than GenII. If you do do this use a 11.5" c-c for your clutches, the kevlar belts are much better and believe it or not that 1" you move the motor back will make a sizeable difference in how the sled handles. It will make things tight on the steering post for filters or an airbox but you will gain room for pipes. Just my .02

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I know of kits for edge conversions WITH MOUNTS that use the stock pipes and Can's and go to a stock edge air box... Pm me if you want more information.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
guys, just to clarify only the tunnel would be Edge. My idea is to mount the edge tunnel/skid to the original xcr 800 gen II chasis. In other words i would be taking a totally stock 800 xcr sled and swapping out the xcr tunnel/skid for an edge tunnel/skid......wouldn't that be easier than the steering post, plumbing, clutch alignment, and pipe issues of dropping the 800 triple into the RMK gen II chasis?

If i'm way off here let me know. In fact that's the purpose of the post is for you guys to let me know if this is a screwball idea and, if so, why so let it fly!

Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
XCR

Not sure if you would gain much by adding an Edge tunnel to the XCR. Might as well stick with the stock tunnel and add an extension if you go longer track. The XCR front end and bulk head is way heavy. That is the advantage of the RMK chssis wheather it be GenII or edge. You will also have issues with you stock seat on a edge tunnel. The XCR seat bottom is very stiff and won't conform to the edge tunnel kick up. Again the XCR seat is lots heavier too.

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Pretty sure the edge rmk tunnel wont fit on your xrc bulkhead because the edge RMK has a narrower bulkhead than the old xcr triple. about 3/8" different I belive.
I would look for an escape chassis. They had slightly longer chaincase for more track clearance. And go with the the 11.5 c to c engine mounting as flying pig stated.

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
Find a edge rmk chassis will be light years better then the gen 11 and should come in lighter and will have better front suspension. I picked up my chassis for 1000 bucks with a 151.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288101
2011-11-29%25252019.38.18.jpg

2011-12-10%25252021.14.04.jpg

Premium Features