• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who does the best porting on the 1000/1200 M motors

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
Well hear is where I stand in this decision,spoke to them all and they all had different ways of doing it. I know porting is everyones secret but none of them are close to doing what the other company does.

I had one saying the motor needs a timing key,2 others saying no key and one saying to pull timing out of it. Then on top of it your running the wrong pipe you need this one and others saying your pipe will work or may not work. I already have a ported,head done and piped 1200. It just is not as strong as a 1200 should be. The company that did it says the porting is right,head right and pipe used was only one around at time big bore came out and thats the best pipe they tried. So wanted opinions and all the above said my porting,head and pipe may be wrong. I do not want to drop another 2 grand on porting,head.pipe set up to get same results as I have a good running but not exceptional 1200.

I have heard Brent does amazing work,RKT&MPM same thing as they are similiar and work along side each other,Jeff is suppose to have killer motors also.

So just looking for actual results of owners that actually have their 1200 ported by a certain company and how it compares to other 1200's. Also how it does against well set up 1000's. The company that did it said that no well set up even ported 1000 will touch it. We also have heard that Brians and Kelseys 1000 have been able to beat every 1200 they went against. This included BDX's Bikeman and D&D 1200 M sleds and has been the case with mine being beat by some 1000's. Tuning is not the problem either as clutching and fuel delivery has been went through tried and tested with many set ups to get the best one it has now.

Any other suggestions of someone who has an actual 1200 kit that works well against other 1200's and 1000's let me know. The clock is ticking and another 2 grand is not easy to throw at it again to get it the same as now. However 2 grand thrown at it to get it to haul like a 1200 should is acceptable.

H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
You already answered your own question here....

"We also have heard that Brians and Kelseys 1000 have been able to beat every 1200 they went against."

MPM ported my M8 and it flat runs! A freind of mine has the same machine and has put over $2500 with nos and still can't keep up.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Hank @ Western Snowmobile and Marine (WSM) does great work and his set-ups run!

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Curt (Fastrax) , Doug (porting) and I (Fuel issues,clutching,crank,assembly,boring, etc:) together built a few M1000/1200's that are insane ,so if you want it done right you can give me a call. I have some references for you also.

Jake
Mild 2 Wild Motorsports
701-202-6304

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Curt (Fastrax) , Doug (porting) and I (Fuel issues,clutching,crank,assembly,boring, etc:) together built a few M1000/1200's that are insane ,so if you want it done right you can give me a call. I have some references for you also.

Jake
Mild 2 Wild Motorsports
701-202-6304

I went with one of Jake's (sledstew) 1200 kits and I couldnt be happier. First I brought him my motor and he said I'll let you know in a couple weeks when its done, he called me the next day to let me know he tore it apart and sent the parts out. Then he called me when he heard back that the cylinders were done. Awesome customer service, I've heard of people who can't even get ahold of their mechanic/builder, let alone have them call you to give you updates on whats going on. When we got it in and running we went out in an open field and he showed me everything and we spent the whole day tuning and breaking it in, and it is crazy fast. This sled will not keep the ski's down, it has so much torque it pulls like crazy. We went with a 1200, dd twins, ftx head, and the new boss nos kit. I will have to get a video up of how good it runs. PM me if you have any questions for me or talk to Jake he will set you up right.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I went with one of Jake's (sledstew) 1200 kits and I couldnt be happier. First I brought him my motor and he said I'll let you know in a couple weeks when its done, he called me the next day to let me know he tore it apart and sent the parts out. Then he called me when he heard back that the cylinders were done. Awesome customer service, I've heard of people who can't even get ahold of their mechanic/builder, let alone have them call you to give you updates on whats going on. When we got it in and running we went out in an open field and he showed me everything and we spent the whole day tuning and breaking it in, and it is crazy fast. This sled will not keep the ski's down, it has so much torque it pulls like crazy. We went with a 1200, dd twins, ftx head, and the new boss nos kit. I will have to get a video up of how good it runs. PM me if you have any questions for me or talk to Jake he will set you up right.

Miller said your 1200 really had some grunt when you let hime ride it last winter. Didn't he have his HCR ported too? & he runs a set of speedwerx twins then too....
You better bring your little kitty out west with us some time, chad is talkin about turbos 'n such for his 800.

oh, and by the way, I'm still gonna talk smack about your D-max:face-icon-small-win

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Ported M1000

I recommend just porting an M1000. for what you spend the only real advantage is the bottom and grunt and from our testing you get more with the speedwex pipe over slp and with our porting the jaws can works best. I have a set of ported m1000 cylinders that I would trade out for stock depending on miles on cylinders for 600. That and an RKT head you will be right there with the 1200.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
This thread was started almost a year ago. I have to wonder what 1100cat ended up doing?

I have three winters on my D&D 1200 with only one problem...I can't keep a belt in one piece for more than a weekend so I want to pull the motor and remount it with torque stops and make sure it's in straight. I'd like to rebuild it while it's out so I'll be looking for a good engine builder also.

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
For some reason can no longer access members to pm them, for now pm me and can return info that route as it works that way.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Here are a few pics of 1100cat's motor...YIKES! Sorry they are kinda small.

2mpa1z8.jpg

3160rhd.jpg

fjqqro.jpg

hsuf6a.jpg

24xmfmc.jpg

2akmfkl.jpg

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Anyone that has built mod motors have seen failures. Part of the game. The hard part is trying to keep your name an rep in tact when a motor gets sold from the original owner. For the most part anyone that buys a mod motor second hand has all the right intentions and heart in the right place. The problem with this for some is the learning curve. There is a huge responsibility that goes with owning one of these. Working closely with the builder and having lots of patients and deep pockets is required in most cases. Anything less can end in disaster.

I know some builders are screening the potential customer anymore because of the increase in folks that expect stock reliability and no responsibility in care and feeding. It just isn't worth it to them. Most times they don't get paid for the countless hours on the phone, shipping of parts back and forth, putting off other customers etc. If the motors were priced to recover these things, nobody would buy them 'cuz the price would be prohibitive. For the builder it is a labor of love and I am glad they are around.

I feel for you 1100cat. A tough road to hoe (been there myself) but in the end, I bet, you will be very pleased with it. RACINSTATION is a very reputable builder and even though he can lose money defending this situation.

Always amazed at the fricken size of those slugs. Man they are huge!!!!

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Anyone that has built mod motors have seen failures. Part of the game. The hard part is trying to keep your name an rep in tact when a motor gets sold from the original owner. For the most part anyone that buys a mod motor second hand has all the right intentions and heart in the right place. The problem with this for some is the learning curve. There is a huge responsibility that goes with owning one of these. Working closely with the builder and having lots of patients and deep pockets is required in most cases. Anything less can end in disaster.

I know some builders are screening the potential customer anymore because of the increase in folks that expect stock reliability and no responsibility in care and feeding. It just isn't worth it to them. Most times they don't get paid for the countless hours on the phone, shipping of parts back and forth, putting off other customers etc. If the motors were priced to recover these things, nobody would buy them 'cuz the price would be prohibitive. For the builder it is a labor of love and I am glad they are around.

I feel for you 1100cat. A tough road to hoe (been there myself) but in the end, I bet, you will be very pleased with it. RACINSTATION is a very reputable builder and even though he can lose money defending this situation.

Always amazed at the fricken size of those slugs. Man they are huge!!!!

Amen,Thanks Lynn

Premium Features