• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's better for RPM heavier primary or lighter weights?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
When spring and weight changes in the primary don't seem to have much affect, I think most often the secondary is over powering the primary. My belief is that happens frequently in the DD setup. Best fix so far for me is gearing the sled down, just too high geared for riding in the hills with the DD secondary.

So, shallower helix, more spring presssure in the secondary to slow upshift not to create more pirmary RPM but let the primary spring and weights do their work.

I think the DD secondary needs differnent spring construction than stock orange. Any answers out there. Anyone tried the Team Spring conversion kits ?

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
Mountain Magic is right. The specs under the hood for clutching are pretty close. The key to the specs is using Cat weights. As I said before in a different post my r's would not come up either until I switched secondarys. No matter what I changed in the primary the rpm's did not come up. If at all possible go to Cat weights in the primary according to the underhood specs for your elevation and dump the stock secondary. If you need further help PM me.

T
Nov 26, 2007
you have got to take some wt out of your tips it cant hold it. I would get ride of some spring as well and get my weights light enough to get my rpms. just my 2cents worth.

P
Nov 27, 2007
Humboldt, Iowa
Aaron, how old is your primary? If you have more than a year on it, the bushings could bo shot, and cause it to bind just enough that it won't let it shift all the way out. If you still can't get your R's out of it, take it off the sled and take the spring out, and see if you can make it bind, by moving it in and out. It sould rock back and forth a very very small amount. If it moves more than that, the clutch is shot, and needs to be replaced. JMO. I have found this to be true more than once.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I pulled the secondary the other day to get an understanding of how much of a difference there is between the DD clutch and the one on my 03 900mc, And found that although. Different the basic concept still applies. There are two black washers between the Helix and the orange spring so I took both out by doing this I figured it would function the same as the spring holes on the old clutch. And sure enough I gained 140rpms on the trail and close to 4-600 @ 8000'+ altitude @6500'-7000' I am pulling 7180rpms 3/4 throttle uphill on a trail road.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Well I just had my first run with my New RKT secondary on my 09 M8 162 with the slp single. As I stated eariler I spent 2.5 years chasing the RPM issues with this sled. After installing the RKT secondary I have a completly new sled. My RPM's on short pulls held at 8050 no waver, on real long pulls it would drop to 7940 and hold. At last I am holding RPM!! and it pulls hard. I need to do a bit of fine tuning but I now have the confidence I can get it. Aaron I don't know what to tell you since you are using those MTX weights with your secondary setup. Kelsey recommends using the stock light tip cat weights, if at all possible I'd try to go back to the stock weights and see where you are at.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I feel like I can get these MTX's dialed in, it's just a matter of playing with them. I really like how hard they pull. Thanks!

Aaron

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i find with my sled it feels like the brakes are on almost when you let off the throttle. but give it a bit of steady throttle and it seems to be free.... that means tooo much backshifting trying to go on?

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I can't remember who's post I read but it seems to work. Use a spring with the higher enguagment and a lighter finish with lighter weights and you will have a very responsive system. Quick back shift and quick snappy throttle response.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
so if you make small adjustments and see changes in the rpm would one say clutches are somewhat balanced?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Aaron, do you have any updates on your quest for RPM?

I do.........I pulled weight from the tips and now it is dead on 7750. I am still running the White Speedwerx spring in the primary also. Right where I wanted to be. Now I just need to get the PCV fine tuned and I will be good until I port and have to start all over. :frusty:

Aaron

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's good to hear.

I too like that Speedwerx spring it comes in nice and low and help keep the RPM up where you need it with heavish weights.

Now that you have it nailed, didn't you buy some MDS weights to try? :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features