• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would it take to get you back on a Cat?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
What's wrong with a little more power? And if the Cat 800 is that close to the others' 850s, wouldn't a Cat 850-900 be a step above the others? Poo 800 to 850 was a solid 15hp bump if not closer to 20. So now give the Cat 800 a 15-20hp bump with a big bore treatment and you've got the most NA power available.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
What's wrong with a little more power? And if the Cat 800 is that close to the others' 850s, wouldn't a Cat 850-900 be a step above the others? Poo 800 to 850 was a solid 15hp bump if not closer to 20. So now give the Cat 800 a 15-20hp bump with a big bore treatment and you've got the most NA power available.
Nothings wrong with more power, it’s just the argument that cat is soooooo far behind the other brands because they lack 50cc’s is silly when in reality they perform as good as anything on the snow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
More power is not big deal if your behind but is if you're ahead. Same as weight. Everyone always tries to downplay when behind to justify, in their mind, why. Ride what you want.

Bozarth

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Eureka MT
Twin rail and I'd go back. Been on cat since late 80's. Bought my 1st polaris last year "snowcheck" didn't get it until April 2022 "should've had it Sept 2021 . Ended up getting 120 miles on it. I've had to take it back to the dealer to replace a spindle due to it being the wrong color from the factory.
I also just received a recall notice and have to take it back to the dealer. So far I'm not impressed!

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Speaking of alpha vs. twin rail, just found this on the trail yesterday ? . I do think the alpha rail sort of polarizes prospective customers

FBVQwnFwRy2qhTjRky%MCg.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Twin rail and I'd go back. Been on cat since late 80's. Bought my 1st polaris last year "snowcheck" didn't get it until April 2022 "should've had it Sept 2021 . Ended up getting 120 miles on it. I've had to take it back to the dealer to replace a spindle due to it being the wrong color from the factory.
I also just received a recall notice and have to take it back to the dealer. So far I'm not impressed!

Agreed, a twin rail Cat would be the only one I'd consider too.

Poo's quality is lacking. My dealer said that Poo's initial quality had improved but really went downhill with the rush to get the 2022s delivered.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've said it before, but more motor isn't a magic wand, and I'd say the current motor in a better chassis would be more desirable than an 850 (or even 900) in the same old chassis. If they can push the current architecture out and get another 5hp without breaking the bank, that makes sense. At some point they need to invest in a new motor, and it would make sense to shoot for more than 800, but I don't see why that's the first thing some people say Cat needs. 800 to 850 is definitely noticeable back to back (or in a drag race), but is almost never a make or break thing. I know a lot of people don't see it that way, but I'd suggest the marketing aspect of 850 over 800 is in some ways stronger than the practical difference. Another thing: if you go back 10 years or so, Poo was way behind on the dyno, but could easily hold its own on the hill because of a lighter chassis and good clutching.

It's also a tricky market. Maybe things will get better sooner rather than later, but it could be rough in terms of supply chains, material costs, and fuel prices - possibly for years. A big investment gunning at Poo and Doo turbo sleds now could doom Cat even if they make a great sled, but on the other hand, a gamble in a different direction might pay off. And I gotta be honest, I think I'd be kicking myself if I'd stretched my budget for a top dog sled in the last few years based on the weak snow we've had (especially the last two years). Hopefully that'll change, but part of the outside-the-box thinking could be a sled that sacrifices deep snow ability for more fun in marginal snow. So many variables can make the difference, and even a good sled might not be enough to keep Cat viable. Poo and Doo alone have their share of challenges; I don't think Cat is out of the game, but it feels like they're in a position where they have to make a move, and yet there are pitfalls everywhere. I am definitely cheering for them: Doo and Poo seem to be converging in their thinking, and I worry that without a third competitor, we'll end up with Coke vs. Pepsi before long.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I could type out a couple paragraphs of what cat needs to do, but I'm going to summarize it in a couple statements.

1. Have a twin rail rear suspension option.
2. Use the ideas their engineers come up with and build a sled that is lightest in it's class, or nearly, with the most power regardless of displacement. Get the fit and finish right.
4. Get a marketing/social media team that knows how to hype something and maybe knows something about snowmobiles.
3. Support and rebuild their dealer network. The average age of a snowmobiler is 53. That demographic still wants a good dealer experience.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
A twin rail option is easily doable. Sell Alpha suspension, drivers and track. Take the delicious sale money and buy an aftermarket suspension, track and drivers. Now you have sumpin’!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I've said it before, but more motor isn't a magic wand, and I'd say the current motor in a better chassis would be more desirable than an 850 (or even 900) in the same old chassis. If they can push the current architecture out and get another 5hp without breaking the bank, that makes sense. At some point they need to invest in a new motor, and it would make sense to shoot for more than 800, but I don't see why that's the first thing some people say Cat needs. 800 to 850 is definitely noticeable back to back (or in a drag race), but is almost never a make or break thing. I know a lot of people don't see it that way, but I'd suggest the marketing aspect of 850 over 800 is in some ways stronger than the practical difference. Another thing: if you go back 10 years or so, Poo was way behind on the dyno, but could easily hold its own on the hill because of a lighter chassis and good clutching.

It's also a tricky market. Maybe things will get better sooner rather than later, but it could be rough in terms of supply chains, material costs, and fuel prices - possibly for years. A big investment gunning at Poo and Doo turbo sleds now could doom Cat even if they make a great sled, but on the other hand, a gamble in a different direction might pay off. And I gotta be honest, I think I'd be kicking myself if I'd stretched my budget for a top dog sled in the last few years based on the weak snow we've had (especially the last two years). Hopefully that'll change, but part of the outside-the-box thinking could be a sled that sacrifices deep snow ability for more fun in marginal snow. So many variables can make the difference, and even a good sled might not be enough to keep Cat viable. Poo and Doo alone have their share of challenges; I don't think Cat is out of the game, but it feels like they're in a position where they have to make a move, and yet there are pitfalls everywhere. I am definitely cheering for them: Doo and Poo seem to be converging in their thinking, and I worry that without a third competitor, we'll end up with Coke vs. Pepsi before long.
I agree, if we only get one or the other, I'd rather see an updated, lighter, more nimble chassis over a bigger motor/ more power, but it'd be nice to get both.

I think from a marketing/sales perspective, it would make more sense to stagger the release of a new chassis and a new motor, so that you're giving the sled fairly major updates every few years instead of having mostly the same thing for 5-6 years at a time. Polaris did it with the Axys Chassis then the 850 motor 3 years later, then the Matryx chassis (and Boost) 3 years after that. I think it helps keep sales more consistent.

Last edited:
U
Feb 1, 2013
you're a fool if you think you notice the difference in 40cc's haha.

I'm not normal one to diss on a forum, but come on ?
I ride a 18 mountain cat, girlfriend is on a 21 Khaos 850. Both 16x somethings. I find the Cat more snappy and lifts the ski's better. Better on off throttle response and more fun. But it's deceptive the 850 Khaos just keeps pulling, on long climbs through the trees I'm really impressed with the 850.

The lady used to ride the Cat before I got it and she would be stuck facing uphill a lot more then she is on the 850. I would describe the Khaos as almost unstuckable. Just keeps clawing it's way up and out. She also really disliked the weight of the Cat. Especially moving it around it in the shop, getting it on dollies etc.. . Even I notice the weight of it in the shop.

As far as what I want to see from Cat.

1. Lighter weight
2. Better running boards, more like a Polaris.
3. Shorten the tunnel, factory upturned bumper.
4. 3-4 year warranty.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I ride a 18 mountain cat, girlfriend is on a 21 Khaos 850. Both 16x somethings. I find the Cat more snappy and lifts the ski's better. Better on off throttle response and more fun. But it's deceptive the 850 Khaos just keeps pulling, on long climbs through the trees I'm really impressed with the 850.

The lady used to ride the Cat before I got it and she would be stuck facing uphill a lot more then she is on the 850. I would describe the Khaos as almost unstuckable. Just keeps clawing it's way up and out. She also really disliked the weight of the Cat. Especially moving it around it in the shop, getting it on dollies etc.. . Even I notice the weight of it in the shop.

As far as what I want to see from Cat.

1. Lighter weight
2. Better running boards, more like a Polaris.
3. Shorten the tunnel, factory upturned bumper.
4. 3-4 year warranty
All of those should be pretty easy for them to do, no idea why they've been holding off on things like a shorter tunnel (the parts already exist, just drop rear tunnel section to the next size down), better running boards (they literally have extruded accessory boards very similar to the Polaris ones). Lighter weight should be their main goal for the next platform, and I'm with you on the 3-4 year warranty, I usually keep sleds 3 or 4 years unless I hate them

Premium Features