• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to look for. No start '14 m8000

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Went to prepare the sled to ride this year and the thing wont start. Figured it was bad fuel so I pumped the old out removed the spark plugs and put new ones in and still nothing. I have pulled this thing over thousands of times it seems in the last 3 days. Doesn't even try to sputter.

Things ive done

New fuel and plugs
checked the tether- seems to be working right according to my multimeter.
Checked as much of the wiring as I could get to nothing chewed or broken that I can see
I did jumper the fuel pump to pump new fuel through after I disconected the fuel line from the throttle body so I know it's working.

Things I have yet to check
kill switch- could be since it broke inside so you cant really toggle it anymore but that happened the second ride last year and never had a problem but will check tonight.
Fuse box- I guess some have corroded but I havent checked mine yet.

Anything else that I can look at before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Went to prepare the sled to ride this year and the thing wont start. Figured it was bad fuel so I pumped the old out removed the spark plugs and put new ones in and still nothing. I have pulled this thing over thousands of times it seems in the last 3 days. Doesn't even try to sputter.

Things ive done

New fuel and plugs
checked the tether- seems to be working right according to my multimeter.
Checked as much of the wiring as I could get to nothing chewed or broken that I can see
I did jumper the fuel pump to pump new fuel through after I disconected the fuel line from the throttle body so I know it's working.

Things I have yet to check
kill switch- could be since it broke inside so you cant really toggle it anymore but that happened the second ride last year and never had a problem but will check tonight.
Fuse box- I guess some have corroded but I havent checked mine yet.

Anything else that I can look at before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Does It Have Spark? If so your fuel pump could be seized up. Hook a 12V battery to the pump and see if it turns.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
Yeah;).it should fire with couple pulls.might be flooded with wet plugs now.

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
It wouldn't surprise me if it was again. Good thing it is still torn apart from checking out the wiring so I will pull the plugs and check. I have a feeling that it is electrical though for some reason.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I just pulled my 2010 out of storage two days ago. I had the same thing. Pulled and pulled and couldn't see anything even flutter on the gauges. This is the first time the thing has ever not started on the third pull at the most. I disconnected the key switch with no help, disconnected the big plug going to the bars and it fired on the first pull. I reconnected everything and it stayed running and would start right back up. I have no idea why it was acting like this.

Also when checking spark make sure the plug is grounded. I've heard that if you don't you can fry the coil cause there's no where for the energy to go.

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Yeah it is still under warranty. Just sucks that they are 30 miles north of me and I work 55 miles south of where I live. Just makes for a long day when you wake up at 2 am. But at this point it may be better to do that.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Not sure if your around moisture or in heated garage. My buddies got too wet in Revy and pulled the ECU plugs off. Dried em an dielectric greased them and good to go.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Definitely check for spark. Also the headlight should be illuminating just a little bit as you try to start it (of course you can't see this while pulling the rope, you'll need an assistant.) If there is no spark/or the headlight doesn't light at all, head to the dealer so they can check the ecu and other electrical continuity stuff. If you are getting some signs of electricity, then check if your injectors are stuck open (which causes the sled to flood and not start) Pull it over 5-6 times with the plugs out and the fuel line disconnected or clamped off. Supposedly pinning the throttle wide open with the sled off will also isolate the injectors, but I've never tried that method. Reconnect/unclamp the fuel line and install dry clean plugs and it should fire up (if the injectors were the problem) Good Luck

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
I had a similar problem last season. I fogged the engine and added fuel stabilizer when I stored it and it took forever to get it fired back up. Checked fuel pump, changed plugs, checked injectors, checked tether and kill switch, and was about to lose my mind.
Thought it might not be getting spark, so I was gonna have my wife pull it over while I checked the plug for spark. She jumped the gun, yanked the cord, and it shocked the sh*t out of me, so it definitely had spark. You can ground the plug with your mitt, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Bottom line is that the fogger just coated the sh*t out of everything and fouled out the new plugs immediately. I didn't use it again because it was such a pain in the *** to get the engine to fire. I think CO has a dry enough climate that it's not a major concern anyway.
SO... Not sure if you fogged it or not for storage, but that's my sad story.

BTW - my headlight and gauge never flickered once, so don't use that as a way to tell if you might be experiencing a problem with the kill switch or tether. Does that make sense? You could have spark, and still not see the headlight fliciker when you pull it over.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
If you have a stock cat tether, I would not doubt for a second that it might be your culprit. They are such a pieces of sh!t. I cant say I know a guy that has not had a problem with one on a PC.

If you kept it hooked up all summer long: If you look inside the grommet, there is a small screw. Turn it out a turn or two. That would put more pressure on the contact. I have seen that be the problem too.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
mine did the exact same thing....i think the fuel system/injectors/fuel rails get empty dispite the fuel pump working...anyway, i just took off a plug and put about a tablespoon of fuel into the cylinder, couple of pulls and it was running.:noidea:

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Not sure if your around moisture or in heated garage. My buddies got too wet in Revy and pulled the ECU plugs off. Dried em an dielectric greased them and good to go.

Lots of moisture but in a garage but not heated. Ecu plugs look dry need to get dielectric grease though.

Definitely check for spark. Also the headlight should be illuminating just a little bit as you try to start it (of course you can't see this while pulling the rope, you'll need an assistant.) If there is no spark/or the headlight doesn't light at all, head to the dealer so they can check the ecu and other electrical continuity stuff. If you are getting some signs of electricity, then check if your injectors are stuck open (which causes the sled to flood and not start) Pull it over 5-6 times with the plugs out and the fuel line disconnected or clamped off. Supposedly pinning the throttle wide open with the sled off will also isolate the injectors, but I've never tried that method. Reconnect/unclamp the fuel line and install dry clean plugs and it should fire up (if the injectors were the problem) Good Luck

Got spark just tested it and is a strong looking one at that too.

you sure the kill switch is in the right position? Had a guy try that one the other day, lol

Check spark if its there I would go to ecu wiring.

let us know

Yes I am sure and I have just tested it and it is passing continuity tests. Spark looks good.

I had a similar problem last season. I fogged the engine and added fuel stabilizer when I stored it and it took forever to get it fired back up. Checked fuel pump, changed plugs, checked injectors, checked tether and kill switch, and was about to lose my mind.
Thought it might not be getting spark, so I was gonna have my wife pull it over while I checked the plug for spark. She jumped the gun, yanked the cord, and it shocked the sh*t out of me, so it definitely had spark. You can ground the plug with your mitt, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Bottom line is that the fogger just coated the sh*t out of everything and fouled out the new plugs immediately. I didn't use it again because it was such a pain in the *** to get the engine to fire. I think CO has a dry enough climate that it's not a major concern anyway.
SO... Not sure if you fogged it or not for storage, but that's my sad story.

BTW - my headlight and gauge never flickered once, so don't use that as a way to tell if you might be experiencing a problem with the kill switch or tether. Does that make sense? You could have spark, and still not see the headlight fliciker when you pull it over.

Never fogged any sled. I always just ran it every couple weeks but this year I put it away early due to my son being born and put it on the back burner.

If you have a stock cat tether, I would not doubt for a second that it might be your culprit. They are such a pieces of sh!t. I cant say I know a guy that has not had a problem with one on a PC.

If you kept it hooked up all summer long: If you look inside the grommet, there is a small screw. Turn it out a turn or two. That would put more pressure on the contact. I have seen that be the problem too.

Yes stock cat tether. It does pass continuity tests though meaning with the cap on its an open circuit and off it is closed.

Had a bunch of stuff to do tonight so I didnt get far but there is spark fuses and connectors look good and tether and kill switch are working as should.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it. I will update when I know or find more out.

W
Jan 17, 2011
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Well I just tested my ignition switch and that is not going so well. Anyone know which wires to jumper to bypass it? Cant get continuity on any of it in run or start (non e start but still has it in the switch) untill I pulled it apart and messed with the contacts and was able to get continuity on the start portion but not run.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Well I just tested my ignition switch and that is not going so well. Anyone know which wires to jumper to bypass it? Cant get continuity on any of it in run or start (non e start but still has it in the switch) untill I pulled it apart and messed with the contacts and was able to get continuity on the start portion but not run.

Cats have open ignition systems just unplug it. If you have spark the key isn't the issue

Premium Features