• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vibrating bars on ktm 450 Timbersled?

J
Mar 5, 2017
Alright so I have had two chances to ride a timbersled the past year. The 1st being a demo ride on a 17 yamaha 450fx with a 17 timbersled ST for about 10min, 2nd being a full day on a rented out 15 ktm 450xcf with a 15 timbersled LT. Both these rides were awesome the places these things go is amazing most likely will have one in our garage next year but after a full day of riding the ktm my hands were destroyed. The thing had such a strong vibration thru the bars at the end of the day I would be taking one hand off at a time to give them a rest. Can't say if the yamaha was any better due to only riding it for 10min. We put about 20-25 liters of fuel thru the bike so it wasn't a short day but it would be nice if my hands didn't hurt the day after. Anyone else experiencing this?

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Have had good luck using those brass weights that slip into the bar ends before. Different bars/ bends can change it a lot.
You don't notice on a dirt bike as much because not a lot of sustained rpm like on street or snow.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
13 thru 15 450 ktm is notorious for high vibes. I don't really notice it too bad on mine though. Grip choice can also make a big difference.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Have you ever tried mushroom grips ?

Old school grips that are actually very popular and extremely comfortable .

MUSHROOM-GRIPS_400x340.jpg

J
Mar 5, 2017
I was thinking about getting some better grips for when I get one for sure, has any one tried flex bars or the twisted engineering bars for snow. Thinking those might help out as well.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Flexbars are great, but don't kill much vibrations. I want to try twisted engineering next time.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I ride 500's dirt, snow, sand, whatever...have a bunch of them and thats basically all I ride. On the 500 websites people always come on when they first get a CR wondering about soothing the vibes. I only really notice the vibes at idle when my eyes are vibrating around but they don't bother me weather in my AL frame bike or the steely snow.

Anyway alot of guys have run the flex bars and love them, a few have run the twisted engineering bars and those have also received good reviews. If you have a larger hand the progrips seem to help some guys but the guys with smaller hands don't like them because they are substantially larger. Those bar end deals used to be popular but since the flex bars and twisted I have not seen them talked about much.

It always seem the more you ride one the more you just get used to it and it is no longer an issue.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've had great luck with BuzzKill in sleds and my dirtbike.

http://www.barbuzzkill.com/default.asp?sec_id=180003901

Grip N Rip and others sell it.

BuzzBarKillTubes.jpg

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Fastco sells a vibe dampener that's supposed to work good. Also seen people use silicone or expansion foam. Filling bars is supposed to make grip warmers work much better too. I must say I agree with previous post as well that once used to riding bike you will get used to vibes and not notice it so much.

J
Mar 5, 2017
Yea maybe I would get used to them after a couple rides ethier way it isn't gonna stop me from riding. I just never expected a 4 stroke to vibrate worse than my 2 stroke. The first ride on my 250xc I felt it alittle bit but after 30min I didn't notice it. In the summer I'm out 4-5 times a week and my hands never felt like they did after riding the 450.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Yea maybe I would get used to them after a couple rides ethier way it isn't gonna stop me from riding. I just never expected a 4 stroke to vibrate worse than my 2 stroke. The first ride on my 250xc I felt it alittle bit but after 30min I didn't notice it. In the summer I'm out 4-5 times a week and my hands never felt like they did after riding the 450.
Im claiming there was something wrong with the unit you rode. Or it was just clapped out. If it was a dealer demo could have a **** ton of hours on snow.

R
Apr 18, 2016
The softer grip arm pump thing is something I believe happens with smaller hands, I like progrips but I know they give people the pump but for me the smaller grips don't feel right. I can squeeze my hand in a 3xl if it is cut large

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
The softer grip arm pump thing is something I believe happens with smaller hands, I like progrips but I know they give people the pump but for me the smaller grips don't feel right. I can squeeze my hand in a 3xl if it is cut large

Well I believe 98% of men have smaller hands than you haha. Depending on the brand im xl-2xl.

We ran a super soft set on a hawk had horrible arm pump. Switched out to renthal grips and It cut the arm pump in half when going slow. But yes with big claws running to small of a grip would be hard.

Premium Features