• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

underground weather has up to 25 inches of snow for lead by sat morning! Whos excited

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
This storm was hard on the ranchers. Took my son antelope hunting South on the grasslands near the Nebraska border. In one 5 mile stretch I counted 120 head of dead cows piled up in the fences along the road. We only got 6 inches in Hot Springs and their is down tree branches everywhere. Our snow is gone but on the grasslands to the South their are roads still impassable and draws with 10-15 foot drifts. We did not see any antelope on the grasslands so I do not know how they did through the storm.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This storm was hard on the ranchers. Took my son antelope hunting South on the grasslands near the Nebraska border. In one 5 mile stretch I counted 120 head of dead cows piled up in the fences along the road. We only got 6 inches in Hot Springs and their is down tree branches everywhere. Our snow is gone but on the grasslands to the South their are roads still impassable and draws with 10-15 foot drifts. We did not see any antelope on the grasslands so I do not know how they did through the storm.

That does not sound good.

2001MC800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
rapid city, sd
snocop im sure you can clear this up for me i heard that the grasslands, blm, and national forest is shut down to hunting because of the government shut down is this true?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
snocop im sure you can clear this up for me i heard that the grasslands, blm, and national forest is shut down to hunting because of the government shut down is this true?

Wow that's a new one I had not heard before. I would say call your local FS office but there probably is no one to answer the phone. I would say even if they did close the forest and grasslands due to the shutdown it would be impossible to enforce. Forest and grasslands do not have limited points of entry like our National Parks. Most National parks charge a fee to enter and have the ability to shut down their limited entrances. Forest and grasslands lands are made up of a broken jigsaw puzzle of private and public lands with a multitude of access points. The shutdown may affect those who have current logging contracts, and do not expect to be able to purchase the off road vehicle permits. If this shut down lasts getting Christmas tree permits may be difficult.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Lol, if its shutdown who is gonna be there to enforce it? XD

And I saw a neat picture of a blue skidoo stuck in some fairly deep looking snow on facebook from the hills. If i knew how to link it I would, perhaps someone else can help me out

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Lol, if its shutdown who is gonna be there to enforce it? XD

Law enforcement officers from the USFS are exempted from the furlough. But I think the state GFP game wardens are more prominent in enforcing hunting violations anyway. Pretty sure the forest does not close. Facilities such as campgrounds and offices will close and any contracts administered by the USFS may stop unless deemed essential.

brandriet

Premium Member
Jul 19, 2011
South Dakota
Last edited:

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
october ride

we got a little ride in last Saturday! can check that off the bucket list.

oct sleddin.jpg

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
We went up today and did a little riding north of trailshead. The snow was a lot better closer to iron creek. It was good everywhere for October though!!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1382245752777.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382245786951.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1382245820618.jpg

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2007
sd
Looks good for any month...thanks for making the rest of us envious and miserable!!

Premium Features