• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin rail skids for alpha

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
As Ddecker said 2018 is current design. 2016-2017 had a shorter rear shock and pull rod I think and non-mountain cat would need the rail caps trimmed to run with the dropped driveshaft. Otherwise they are the same.

If you're looking for newest available the international models still offered a twin rail last year. 2021 there were very limited numbers in 153 only. Otherwise 2019 was last widely available twin rail models in the US.

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Have a buddy with a alpha that is running a 16’ skid with the shocks off his alpha but thought they changed in 18’ and why I asked.
The valving is all different in the alpha shocks. You really need the shocks valved for a twin rail setup. I converted my 19 alpha to a twin rail ice age Elevate setup. I highly recommend the Elevate setup for twins, its a huge difference; more so then the alpha Elevate setup. Most fun sled I've had to date. I tried using the rear shock off the alpha skid and mounted is wrong, up down orientation was right, but had it turned the wrong way. Eventually rubbed a hole in the cap of the shock, leaked. I could not find a new cap, during the COVID BS, so I ended up buying a new rear shock for a twin rail setup. There is a noticeable difference. The skid worked much better after the replacement. Just a heads up on all that. I would start with a 18/19 twin setup. I found a full skid, with front shock and talked the guy into sending me everything but the rails. Lots of guys converting to an alpha setup, so should be a few out there.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I do my own valving. Just wanted to make sure I bought the right skid. I have elevate spindles. Maybe I can find someone who will sell me a skid without rails like you did, I’ve never had stock rails hold up.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I do my own valving. Just wanted to make sure I bought the right skid. I have elevate spindles. Maybe I can find someone who will sell me a skid without rails like you did, I’ve never had stock rails hold up.
It's not listed on their site, but Ice Age will sell you just the Elevate rails for the twin setup. They are spendy, but awesome rails.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Are they more then the bombers? I was planning on buying a set of the elevate rails once I have a skid. I’m not in a hurry to convert it since I still have my axys to ride when i need a proper performing skid for variable conditions ?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I believe all 2017 limited/MC skids are the same, same rails too. shock valving improvement from 2016 also? The '17 float 3s i still love. 2018 not best reviews in shock valving, hey boondocker would the 18+ rod and shock increase the travel a hair? i forget. probably not worth my time but im curious now.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Correct, alphas are currently running a 3.5 or 2.86. Most cat tracks twin rail are 3.0.
You can get a Camso 280 in 3.5 pitch or use a trimmed 165 Doo track. The new 2023 Doo track is 15" wide. I have the 3.5 pitch Camso 280 175 on my turbo sled with Alpha drivers pressed on outwards instead of inwards like on an Alpha. I have the same driveshaft setup made up for my other 800 and have a 165 Doo track I am trimming to use in it. There is quite a deep snow difference I noticed going with the longer pitch track. Seems to trench less and get up on the snow quicker. I was using the 280 with 3.0 pitch with a 174 and switched to the 175 just for the pitch difference and did notice the difference. Apples to apples comparison.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I believe all 2017 limited/MC skids are the same, same rails too. shock valving improvement from 2016 also? The '17 float 3s i still love. 2018 not best reviews in shock valving, hey boondocker would the 18+ rod and shock increase the travel a hair? i forget. probably not worth my time but im curious now.
The overall suspension (rail travel) wouldn't change since the limiting factor is still the bump stop on the rail when compressed, and the hard stop blocks on the scissor arm keep it from dropping out any further. What does change is the linkage angle that drops off the front arm mount. The longer shock and pull rod put this linkage part more perpendicular to the shock, and when it cycles it uses more shock travel than before. This does a couple things: 1.) Extra shock travel gives more forgiveness in the valving calibration since it has more distance to travel through the oil to do the damping work. 2.) Makes the spring ramp up more progressively so should be able to run a little less initial spring (or air pressure) while still having bottom out resistance. So overall it should add some forgiveness and allow less spot-on tuning to still feel good, or still feel good over a wider range of conditions. As with any suspension, if the setup is off then it can still feel like crap lol!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^thank you for the clarification. will look to see if its something i can do to my 17 skid, while its out for the elevate rails i just ordered! good thread. ice age's website is upgraded so you can order stuff seperatly now, smart move!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
just by elevate rails and piece together your own. The front and back arms are going to be about the only stock parts left on mine, and if someone offered those in chromoly or aluminum id probably swap them out too.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
just by elevate rails and piece together your own. The front and back arms are going to be about the only stock parts left on mine, and if someone offered those in chromoly or aluminum id probably swap them out too.
I’ve priced that out, it wouldn’t be cost effective unless I could find used skid components and there is none for sale unless I want 2016 or older which I do not. I’m not trying to spend $2k to end up with a stock skid with ice age rails.

I’ll continue my search for one for a little bit longer because I know lots of guys converted their twins to alphas and probably have their old skid laying around not knowing guys want it.

As I search I’m finding tons of guys wanting to ditch the alpha and trade it for a twin rail and most their wtb posts go unanswered.

Premium Features