• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or Supercharger for Nytro

W
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, Nevada
I would love to see a SC run good. They are definately fun to ride with the throttle response being like a 2-stroke. You guys getting them figured out will help alot of unhappy people!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
rode my stage 2 sc all winter and absolutely love it. the problems ive heard of were solved before i hit the snow, (fuel system, clutching, and pulleys coming loose), i do check my pulleys every ride, no issues yet, power is unreal, bottom to top, slaughtered a turbo m8 last weekend, but i guess i should. to keep my rpm perfect on a long pull i overrev once when i crack er at the bottom. putting on my o2 sensor yet just to see if there is more room to work. as far as saying a turbo will beat a sc is pretty broad statement, bring it on, but it better be more than a 230 hp turbo, or it'll be lunch. a WELL designed turbo is only marginally more efficient than a sc, and after that, boost is boost. if your maintaining your boost through a long pull with 15lbs of boost on a sc, your turbo will still need over 14.5 lbs to compare (no head shim). as far as race fuel, its worth it for me but i can see why some people would like to run pump fuel and if 230hp is enough, then, great! I have noticed that if your helix isn't adjusted right, rpm will drop terribly on a long climb i usually change it once in a day of riding and usually takes about 2 minutes. either way, you'll have a blast.

I agree...I'm absolutely loving mine also.

I'm also seeing some drop in R's on long pulls. Got my shockwave screwed all the way in (lowest angle). Next I'm going to a stiffer secondary spring.

upnover, would you mind sharing your secondary settings? Shockwave settings, spring, spring settings, etc...THANKS!!

modsledr

I

IRONMAN

Nov 26, 2007
had a chance to hope on a sc nitro this year for a little rip and man was it responsive! Unreal the way it jumped outa the hole, that said the owner said he had done all the r&d himself. He said the way they told him to set it up it didnt work at all. Lots of probs he said getting it to were it was. People generally have rode a rear mount nitro turbo when they talk about lag, hop on a impulse or a alpine kit and see how responsive they are. Not quite as jumpy as a s/c, but they will work great everytime you turn the key.

U
Dec 17, 2007
best help i can give.

I agree...I'm absolutely loving mine also.

I'm also seeing some drop in R's on long pulls. Got my shockwave screwed all the way in (lowest angle). Next I'm going to a stiffer secondary spring.

upnover, would you mind sharing your secondary settings? Shockwave settings, spring, spring settings, etc...THANKS!!

modsledr

are you stage 1 or 2, i am stage 2, stock secondary spring. as far as hole position, not sure anymore. it is very important that your shockwave is 1.5 turns out in the mountains, great angle. get your weight right first then 1/2 turn in or out depending on snow conditions. i think you have too much weight out on your tips. i tried dalton weights, too much tip weight, overrev like crazy off the line then fall on its face. these things just have such awesome power down low that turbo clutching doesn't work on them. went to stock weights with 4.5 gram rivits in both the inner hole and middle hole on all 3 weights (of course) leave the outer hole empty. e&s motorcycles near edmonton are brilliant at tuning these, call darren at 780-997-3818 they will give you spring settings. was told by mpi that with fuel upgrade it would be very rich at idle, and to change factory yami settings. did this and wouldn't idle very well. stuck the o2 sensor in the pipe for a quick check and wow, very lean at idle. tuned it a little and wow what a difference. welding the bung in the exhaust tommorrow to install o2 sensor then see where its been running. im thinking if i can gain a little more power on top end i can back out the helix .5 turns and not overrev at the bottom of the hill and still hold perfect rpm on long climb. right now i overrev once when i crack 'er at the bottom then she settles into her prime for the long pull. if you cant get ahold of anyone, i can pull of my shockwave and tell u what holes the spring is in but if your stage 1, it wont help you. there is a lighter spring in my primary also for earlier engagement, my 10 yr old idles this thing around the yard, and climbs some pretty good hills at mcbride, very rideable even for a 10 yr old.

U
Dec 17, 2007
just a note

had a chance to hope on a sc nitro this year for a little rip and man was it responsive! Unreal the way it jumped outa the hole, that said the owner said he had done all the r&d himself. He said the way they told him to set it up it didnt work at all. Lots of probs he said getting it to were it was. People generally have rode a rear mount nitro turbo when they talk about lag, hop on a impulse or a alpine kit and see how responsive they are. Not quite as jumpy as a s/c, but they will work great everytime you turn the key.

proper rpm on my sc was tough to get right, with no help from mpi of course, dont know about a turbo, but if your rpm isn't right, its a chain reaction of rpm loss, resulting in boost loss, resulting in power loss, then more rpm loss, anyways, weights and clutching just gotta be right with these things, their just making so much power and small adjustments are amplified sooo much. first time out, 280hp, dalton weights, and got smoked by a 900 king cat. hit the hill at 70mph track speed but fall on its face and lose over 2500 rpm by 1/3 hill. talk about embarrasing. talked to e&s and im all smiles ever since. i let just about anyone try my sled in the mountains just to try er out, and the tipical response is "that thing is fricken wetawded!"...... smiles all around.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
are you stage 1 or 2, i am stage 2, stock secondary spring. as far as hole position, not sure anymore. it is very important that your shockwave is 1.5 turns out in the mountains, great angle. get your weight right first then 1/2 turn in or out depending on snow conditions. i think you have too much weight out on your tips. i tried dalton weights, too much tip weight, overrev like crazy off the line then fall on its face. these things just have such awesome power down low that turbo clutching doesn't work on them. went to stock weights with 4.5 gram rivits in both the inner hole and middle hole on all 3 weights (of course) leave the outer hole empty. e&s motorcycles near edmonton are brilliant at tuning these, call darren at 780-997-3818 they will give you spring settings. was told by mpi that with fuel upgrade it would be very rich at idle, and to change factory yami settings. did this and wouldn't idle very well. stuck the o2 sensor in the pipe for a quick check and wow, very lean at idle. tuned it a little and wow what a difference. welding the bung in the exhaust tommorrow to install o2 sensor then see where its been running. im thinking if i can gain a little more power on top end i can back out the helix .5 turns and not overrev at the bottom of the hill and still hold perfect rpm on long climb. right now i overrev once when i crack 'er at the bottom then she settles into her prime for the long pull. if you cant get ahold of anyone, i can pull of my shockwave and tell u what holes the spring is in but if your stage 1, it wont help you. there is a lighter spring in my primary also for earlier engagement, my 10 yr old idles this thing around the yard, and climbs some pretty good hills at mcbride, very rideable even for a 10 yr old.

upnover,

Thanks for the info. Mine is also a stage 2. It was set up for the original owner who lives in Northern Idaho and rides mostly light, fluffy pow. Unfortunately, our snow in western WA is heavier, so I'll need to make some adjustment. If I start on hard pack, it hits about 8900-9k. As soon as I get in the deep snow, it drops off to 8200, and track speed drops to about 55mph.

Seems more like a helix/secondary spring issue, since I'm hitting my R's on the hard pack and roads.

thanks again,
modsledr

K
Dec 2, 2007
Drumheller, Alberta
Dialed in

Hey there mike, thanks for your help that day on Boulder!! I finally got her dialed in. Working great. Just need to drop 1 gr of each weight and should be about as good as I can get her.

Casey

U
Dec 17, 2007
clutch weights

upnover,

Thanks for the info. Mine is also a stage 2. It was set up for the original owner who lives in Northern Idaho and rides mostly light, fluffy pow. Unfortunately, our snow in western WA is heavier, so I'll need to make some adjustment. If I start on hard pack, it hits about 8900-9k. As soon as I get in the deep snow, it drops off to 8200, and track speed drops to about 55mph.

Seems more like a helix/secondary spring issue, since I'm hitting my R's on the hard pack and roads.

thanks again,
modsledr

dont overlook your tip weight on your weights. you need more weight away from the tip to pull harder off idle as you approach WOT then less weight on the tip to maintain rpm at WOT, i'd start there. i went back to stock weights with 4.5 grams in the each of the two holes closest to the pin and leave the tip hole empty. hope it helps

D
Sep 20, 2013
Maine
Turbo or super charger for nytro??

I am new to this forum.. buying a leftover 13' nytro mtx this year and would like to boost it. Anyone buy the MPI stage one kit from Hartman inc?? I haven't purchased any kit yet but talked to him and seemed very knowledgeable and willing to back up his/mpi kit along with cold air and clutching. I know many turbo likers out there.... I am from Maine and don't have the mountains like out west but like the powder and boondocking but do mostly trail.. at sea level would the SC be the way to go? we do lots of trail riding but like to play as well. I don't want to spend the big dollars for impulse kit... im sure great kit but... want the throttle response of super but heard good things about mid mount kits too.. gas n go is what i'm looking for. tom hartmans kit is a 200hp at sea level on premium for 4995$ and is a kit that requires no sled modifications to install. we also have dumb exhaust laws around here as well, another reason I like SC kit. kit also has pulley upgrade to 220hp on race gas.. not looking for 150mph sled but 0-100 with arms being torn off is awesome to me.. Used to drag race v-max 4 and SRX, I know clutching goes a long ways.. soo anyway. anything better then a SC 200hp kit for $5k? throttle response is key.. ride with all 2 strokers..

Premium Features