• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or Supercharger for Nytro

Mar 5, 2008
Ok guys, I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere but please bare with me. Ordered an 09 Nytro MTX (Just couldn't wait any longer for a fourstroke) and will be looking at adding some hp. I admit I don't know alot about either system but am looking for some really good hp, but would like to stay on pump gas (for now). Rode a RX-1 turbo some time ago, I think it was Cody James sled, anyhow at 210 Hp that thing was insane, at least I thought so at the time. So what's the best way to go? Who has the best setup? And who has the best reliability? Any help would be appreciated. Can't wait till this fall, that nytro was a blast to ride stock, can't imagine with some boost. Thanks

Mar 5, 2008
I think that supercharger is exactly what I'm looking for. Just out of curiosity, what are the pro's and con's of a supercharger vs. Turbo? I just want something that will be a kick in the pants to ride and will be a clean install (so the average person can't tell your hiding something under the hood.) Hill climb and boondock and want something that will excel at both.

D

DARKO

Nov 21, 2007
Kelowna, BC.
Turbo will hand that SC it's arse on any day on any hill. Turbo's make great reliable power, and lots of great kits to choose from. The SC's make "ok" power and only one kit to choose from thats had some issue's. Not bashing, just telling it the honest way it is.

I've took this year to decide which way I was going to go. I wanted pump gas and a clean install. Was leaning towards SC's but if you read it they still rec at least 50/50 fuel mix at low boost, the hp #'s are lower, reliability issues, and uses more fuel. I'm going Powderlites or MCX for sure. Rode a boosted ride last week, granted it was an M8 wtih a CPC, and that made up my mind. Turn key reliability.

Mar 5, 2008
Decisions, decisions. Guess I've got the summer to mull it over. Want the horsepower, want the realibilty and want a clean install. Guess I will do some homework. Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Elkhorn Nebraska
Turbo will hand that SC it's arse on any day on any hill. Turbo's make great reliable power, and lots of great kits to choose from. The SC's make "ok" power and only one kit to choose from thats had some issue's. Not bashing, just telling it the honest way it is.
Well said Darko. If I were going to boost a Nytro I would go with the MCX kit hands down. Nothing but good things on their side and they were also the first kits testing with the most accumulated milage!!!

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
If you want to know the difference between the two types of kits you should just ride them. The SC sleds advertise no lag and simplicity while the turbos give you great gains on top. I know for a fact that Paul's kit (www.impulseturbo.com) is so responsive on the bottom that I'd have to say there is no lag whatsoever. Being at Yamafest last week, it was pretty obvious what had power and what didn't.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Canadian Prairies
Being at Yamafest last week, it was pretty obvious what had power and what didn't.

What had power? I don't need lots just more the Nytro is about 50 hp short of awesome!

I didn't get to attend Yamafest ended up riding the weekend before (awesome snow by the way!). I've had a SC on my RX-1 and loved it, just not happy with messin' with race fuel all the time. Any SC nytro's out there running "happy".

W
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, Nevada
IMPULSE! No lag compared to other turbo kits. I have rode several brands of kits and I chose the Impulse. Either way I would stay away from SC's as they have problems I would not want to deal with. My buddies sled blew SC belts and could only beat my Boondocker Apex by 1 length out of the hole and in the next blink I drive right by. They were both Apex sleds. My Nytro smokes my Apex out of the hole with an Impulse turbo. Funnest sled I have ever ridden. Thanks Paul, you have a nice kit there! Turbos rule! IMO.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I got a good deal on a S/C Nytro already set up with the bugs worked out. The MPI kit needs a blow off valve added, which helps with the mileage. Also doesn't come with an A/F guage. These were added by the person who built mine. I've since put on 500 miles of trouble free riding and loving every minute of it.

I rode Powderlite's turbo at Yamafest and the top end is unreal. In western WA, most of our riding is in the mountains with lots of trees, creek drainage, etc...with the occasional big climb (not canada big, though...but thats not my gig).

While I agree that the new turbo's have done a great job of reducing the lag, the bottom end grunt of a S/C cant be beat. I know in a drag race, or long pull up steep and deep the turbo will blow the s/c away. But for the riding we do most of the time, if I had to do it all over again and build it myself, I'm pretty sure I'd do a S/C.

Its a tough call, my advice would be to ride both if you have the opportunity and make up your own mind.

my 2 c
modsledr

S
Nov 26, 2007
I am in the same boat. I am going super if Thunder racing wants to sell a kit. If I remember correctly he was still underdriving his roots blower and getting good numbers, yes milage will suck no matter what you want more hp it costs somewhere. MPI no thanks great company just think they have to much in the oven to get it perfect and we end up doing R&D which is fine just tell me up front what to expect. Most of our riding is steep short technical pulls it defiantly fits a super better. Now turn me loose on some really long chutes thechnical or not and gimme a turbo and lots of boost

K
Dec 2, 2007
Drumheller, Alberta
Spent all winter getting my S/C working. B!tched about it all the way. Don't listen to MPI for tuning. Everything I did to make mine work in the powder and hard pack they disagreed with. Finally got a couple of good rides on it dialed in and it rocks. I would not go back. The bottom end is unreal. Never got a chance to ride a turbo'd nytro a Yamafest my arm was buggered and didn't feel comfortable riding somebody else sled that way. Not going to put down a turbo at all they seem to be working great also. A few turbo guys rode my S/C and liked it.

U
Dec 17, 2007
rode my stage 2 sc all winter and absolutely love it. the problems ive heard of were solved before i hit the snow, (fuel system, clutching, and pulleys coming loose), i do check my pulleys every ride, no issues yet, power is unreal, bottom to top, slaughtered a turbo m8 last weekend, but i guess i should. to keep my rpm perfect on a long pull i overrev once when i crack er at the bottom. putting on my o2 sensor yet just to see if there is more room to work. as far as saying a turbo will beat a sc is pretty broad statement, bring it on, but it better be more than a 230 hp turbo, or it'll be lunch. a WELL designed turbo is only marginally more efficient than a sc, and after that, boost is boost. if your maintaining your boost through a long pull with 15lbs of boost on a sc, your turbo will still need over 14.5 lbs to compare (no head shim). as far as race fuel, its worth it for me but i can see why some people would like to run pump fuel and if 230hp is enough, then, great! I have noticed that if your helix isn't adjusted right, rpm will drop terribly on a long climb i usually change it once in a day of riding and usually takes about 2 minutes. either way, you'll have a blast.

Premium Features