• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo and egt gauge

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
hey guys im getting a silber turbo for my pro rmk and i was wondering if it would be a dumb idea if i didn't use an egt gauge with the turbo. i just dont want to drill holes in the y pipe in case i have to take it in for warranty ha.it is coming with an air/fuel mixture gauge. thanks

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
NO need for egt gauges, for 2012 the wideband gauge is going to do all the work:face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, no kidding. The y pipe won't be the reason for warranty denial. That turbo will be the deal beaker there. Dealers don't deny warranty because of egt gauges.

And btw, I hate not having gauges. Its like riding without helmet, gloves or tekvest...just feel naked without it.

If that's you're biggest worry, just get a used (so it looks legit) extra y pipe to put on for the dealer, lol

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
ya was gonna take the turbo off if something major went wrong with it and then take it to the dealer. i agree i would feel alot better with an egt gauge. ill prob just get another y pipe like ya said. anybody know if the older dragon 800's will fit it. thanks

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't tell you for sure, but I think they are interchangeable.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
ya was gonna take the turbo off if something major went wrong with it and then take it to the dealer. i agree i would feel alot better with an egt gauge. ill prob just get another y pipe like ya said. anybody know if the older dragon 800's will fit it. thanks

Everyone remember this the next time you are cussing out Polaris because they deny warranty a month after it expires.

This is the reason why.

Sorry to use you as an example but far too many people complaining about warranty coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I agree with MileHigh here...

How can you expect the factory to warranty ANYthing on the sled when the HP has been radically increased???.... harder on the crank, cases, motor mounts, jackshaft/driveshaft and bearings, chain, track, suspension, etc etc...

The factory warranties the sled as they delivered it and cannot be expected to warranty a modified engine (that goes for pipes, cans, fuel controllers or anything else that will alter engine or it's control systems).

I can tell you that there have been plenty of Polaris sleds that have been modified (regardless of model) by the owner that the owners have expected to be covered under warranty. This IS the reason why Polaris has been very touchy with anything that looks to be changed from the factory configuration.

Making a warranty claim on a sled you chose to turbo is just plain wrong IMO.

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
you and the boys out a dobeck got a little secret or something?? i got some ideas.. but am pretty excited either way.
Closed loop would be easy to do, but I think it's a bad idea on a turbo sled. I wouldn't trust a wideband to "self" tune an engine on a sled. We have sold at least thirty 02 sensors this season alone. If the sleds were strictly pump gas then maybe, but race or av kills sensors.
The other problem is that a very rich reading can show as lean on a wideband, and that would just compound problems.
Widebands are great tuning and information tools, but can be dangerous too.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I like the closed loop for tuning, but I don't trust an O2 sensor in the exhaust stream of a 2 stroke full time. They are just not compatible with the oil in the stream... Short term, tune and remove... yes...use it on a gauge that does not alter the mapping....maybe/yes.... leave it in and trust it to keep the engine in tune...No, not IMO...

Unless there is some breakthrough technology with a completely new lambda sensor, the current models just are not good with the 2 stroke oil.

My 2 cents...lots of other cents out there.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Closed loop would be easy to do, but I think it's a bad idea on a turbo sled. I wouldn't trust a wideband to "self" tune an engine on a sled. We have sold at least thirty 02 sensors this season alone. If the sleds were strictly pump gas then maybe, but race or av kills sensors.
The other problem is that a very rich reading can show as lean on a wideband, and that would just compound problems.
Widebands are great tuning and information tools, but can be dangerous too.
dont worry neil, i have battled miss information from a wideband a lot on my own and am very aware of the drawbacks..

I was out riding with a fella with a push turbo m8 that had the pc V and autotune, and it was so rich it was missfiring, so his wideband was reading lean, so it kept adding fuel with autotune.. needless to say it ran like total dogchit until he figured that out and started cleaning it up.

as for closed loop, definately not a full time thing, but there are some other options out there right now that are getting worked on that are looking very promising and make turbo's more user friendly as justin mentioned.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Our riding group has not gone through any o2 sensors at all on all of our sleds. With over 6000 miles combined this season on our group of turbo PROs.

No reed failures either.

There's ways to build fail safes into your tune. Please don't judge us against the Power Commander.

Who said anything about auto tune anyways, we only wish we could figure out how to get it to work.:face-icon-small-sho And not have to worry about the sensor failing.:face-icon-small-win

Once BD releases it, it will be the cats AZZ, just ask Mountain Horse.

Justin

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i personally think complete autotune stuff is not realistic on sleds.. there is just to much to go wrong to quick. but there are definately other options.

as far as the failsafes.. i got some ideas on how thats done, a fella told me how something like that could be setup, just curious how its gonna work once it hits the snow.

and for judging you against the power commander, far from it.. your stuff is designed right, and you know how to sell stuff that is damn close to start... the guy tuning the pcv shouldnt have been allowed to tune... if his charge tube got hot he added more fuel to it... yep, thats gonna cool things right down....

your right, 2 stroke turbo's dont need to puke reeds, they need to have cool charge temps and be tuned right.. then they last, unless you tryand melt them with 200+ charge temps... and i will leave the rest alone.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
argh.. stupid back button wasted my post..

auto tune is far from where it needs to be to work perfectly, BUT, i got an idea of how it might be setup with said failsafes, i dont know where i would have heard that from.

for the pcv... i dont even want to go there, it was almost embarassing to help the guy with it he was so off base with tuning. he thought when your charge tube gets warm, adding fuel is the way to cool it down.. no wonder it was so freakin rich. it cooled down alright, the poor turbo was to busy pumping fuel out the exhaust to spool.

and for reeds, no kidding right?? if you dont bake the chit out of them with 200+ charge temps they tend to hang around a while.

Premium Features