• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track swap on 2015

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I'm planning on swapping the track on my 2015 RMK. The original has several paddles blown off, some showing the bars. I guess should swap before it blows apart. I've done this on several other machines, just not this model. It's not a PRO, so has the chain case. Is there anything special to look out for, any hidden screws, any tricks, etc??

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Adding a lock nut to the rear skid mounting bolt can help get opposite side bolt out if it wants to spin. Normally they’ll rattle out with a impact. Other then that it’s pretty straight forward.

Pull the belt and secondary, remove the chain case cover, chain, and lower gear, pull the skid, and then wiggle the driveshaft out. Some like to do it with the sled on its side.

Take some time and grease the skid and bolts while the skid is out. Check all bolts and look for bent parts too. Skids take a beating.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
ok sounds easy enough. the plan was to change the shaft bearings once I have it apart. Don't know the #'s so have to wait till it's apart. I assume they should be changed even though nothing wrong with them at this point.? (including the seal).
Last season I pulled the skid for a good inspection, cleaning and changed all the bearings. Actually the original bearings were still ok considering the abuse they go through.

Last edited:
F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
Oh while I'm at it, what to do with jackshaft. Do you guys change bearings for preventative maintenance? The one behind secondary gets greased, the other is in the chaincase. Is there a reason to change them if they look fine??

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Right or wrong, I will use a small pick and pop the seal out of a bearing and inspect it. Sometimes it just needs a little grease and seal it back up. Other times, it is obvious what needs done.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I would assume that since you have the chaincase sled the jackshaft bearing on that side constantly oiled my the chaincase oil, so it should be good.

What track you putting on? I owned a number of pros, 12-15’s. The bigggest upgrade you can do on that sled for mountain riding is get rid of the 2.4” stock track. The axys 2.6” works very well on the pro.!

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
Finally completed the track swap. Was mostly concerned with the driveshaft, but that was simple. 6 bolts on the clutch side and the chain case was straight forward. Hardest part was getting the suspension back in. I've taken the suspension out before but this time it was a real bear. Loosened the back shock to collapse suspension and then slipped in. Went for a 20 mile ride today and all is well.

New track is same as original 2.4. Got it a couple years ago, new take off.

Last edited:
Premium Features