• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle stuck WFO!!! Help

B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
I need some help sorting this out!

I was riding my '02 summit 700 RER on the weekend and we were at about 5000' and the temp was around 0 C. We found a sweep pow field with about 3 feet of light fresh. After a few laps and a few big face shots I was climbing and my throttle stuck open. I killed it with my kill switch. The throttle flipper had some extra free play in it. We thought it was my power madd throttle extension so we took that apart and it seemed to be fine. I had snow on my air box intakes and I am sure snow got in under the hood. I turned on my carb heaters and we started it and it was stuck open again and then it fixed itself. It was idling higher than normal at about 3500 rpm. Well I was trying to ride back out of the alpine and being careful not to crack it open too much and I had to get up a big drift and the throttle stuck open again and I hit a tree!!! Ouch, bent my radius rods and hurt my shoulder and scared the crap out of myself.

I made it back to the truck but it was still idling high at 3500 rpm.I rode for 10 plus km's with the heaters on?

Does this sound like the carbs slides froze and got stuck?

I was going to try to find a full length throttle cable that would work? Just incase it was a burr inside the cable or the throttle extension. Any thoughts on what year would work? I have at least 8" of bar rise.

Does the high idle sound like its from the frozen slide or maybe leaking carb boots? Where do they crack? The look pretty good on the outside.

Other than some better snow filters what else should I be looking for?

I was lower on gas but I had at least 5-10 liters left. Could water in the fuel cause this?

I have read about adding "iso heat" to the fuel does that help?

Any help would be appreciated.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Yeah put a pint of Iso-Heet or any deicer in your fuel tank with each fill, takes care of any moisture in your tank, try to keep your tank full if it sits for any period of time, if the fuel level is down and you see frost on the outside of your tank, it;s inside too.

Make sure and spray some good lubeinside that Power-Madd ext, haven't had any issues with the 2 I run but given snow cond.Try to get some lube down your throttle cable at the flipper,too.

Did you try leaving your sled inside a warm building for a day or 2 to see if that cured your icing problem.

Hope you get it sorted out!:face-icon-small-hap

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
This happened to a friend last weekend too.After a night in a heated trailer it still did it.
After lots of looking around and head scratching,it ended up being a frayed throttle cable that was hanging up as the throttle was opened WOT.

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I'll bet it was your powermadd extension. Those things are junk. Not bashing powermadd because I think everything else they make is great, but those are junk and should be pulled for this exact reason. I went to a motorcycle shop and told them to add 8 inches to my stock cable and it works awesome. If you can't find a local shop to do this I'll give you the info on the shop I went to in Denver.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Frozen carbs at 0*C?
I _ don't _ think _ so...

(These Yanks jist kant git past that "0" thing.)

Gotta be cable.

Neither of our '02's have had the original cable on them for yrs. Long enough actually to start carrying the spare in the sled instead of the truck now!

First one broke an hr and a half from the truck at the gas pumps. (Sure beats back in the bush!)

The second one broke < 1/4 mile from the truck. :face-icon-small-hap

I am always scared that it will be the oil pump cable to die before the carb tho. :face-icon-small-sad

Niether of ours ever stuck tho, jist broke clean off. But still - I bet yours is frayed.

Last edited:
B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys....I am going to focus on the cable first and see if that's the culprit.

Has anyone used the SPI throttle cables...the say they are 8" longer than stock. Is there a BRP one that I should try to get?

I

imobdeep907

Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage
The spi cables seem nice.. good quality.. unfortunately they dont make one for my rt 1000 and the 800 rev cables dont work... but if it wasnt for that i would have an spi cable on my sled right now

B
Dec 4, 2007
Check Dennis Kirk in Rush city minnesota, I just bought 2 rsi brand 8" longer than stock for 46.99 us each, Brp will be expensive if they have something. Just my .02

B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
Throtle stuck...I think I found the problem

Well after a closer look I think the problem that caused my throttle to stick was one of the DPM clear hose lines was interfering with the idle stop on the rod that actuates the carbs.

The idle stop would brush the line under most throttle positions but if you held it open long enough it would pop over to the other side and impede the throttle from closing.

I think I will still try to get a longer one piece throttle cable just to eliminate any potential issues with the Powermadd extension.

Thanks for all you help.

Premium Features