• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking offseason already - big bore or turbo?

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Looking into both options. Looks like price is comparable for a full big bore kit with pipes, etc. as compared to a turbo setup. $4-5k.

It would appear the big bore is plug and play, not sure about a turbo setup as I've never had on a small displacement engine. I've dabbled with them on cars and they seem to be more finicky and need more tuning and setup. From what I can tell on a 91 pump gas setup the HP gains are also comparable, taking the 800 HO up to around 200 with either setup.

I'd like to hear from those who have done one or the other, or both! Thanks!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you like low end grunt or ride lower elevation go big bore. Steep and deep all out pull then go boost.

I haven't had any issues with my 900 BMP that I wouldn't have had with a stock engine (electrical issues). I ride around 9000' and I still like it. Got to ride it at sea level before and it was silly fun.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Used turbo kits go for 1000-2000 and the newer control boxes are more user friendly and plug and play. Used big bore kits usually need more cash put in to be usable again and downtime with aftermarket pistons can be an issue whereas turbo engine is basically stock. I found it easier to find a good used turbo kit than a big bore. New to new and bigbore is way to go as new turbo kits for older sleds are harder to source and get support on whereas the big bore guys seem to be better for long term support. Just my experience over the last 20 yrs.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Used turbo kits go for 1000-2000 and the newer control boxes are more user friendly and plug and play. Used big bore kits usually need more cash put in to be usable again and downtime with aftermarket pistons can be an issue whereas turbo engine is basically stock. I found it easier to find a good used turbo kit than a big bore. New to new and bigbore is way to go as new turbo kits for older sleds are harder to source and get support on whereas the big bore guys seem to be better for long term support. Just my experience over the last 20 yrs.
I found a used Push system. I'm trying to figure out how old it is. I'm leaning that way based on where/how we ride and the ease of installation.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Big bore + turbo?
Done a few of those too and can work very well. Did M7 with RKT 800 kit and later added a Twisted Turbo, ran great and was actually easy to tune using newer M8 fuel map on attitude box. Later did M1000 with D&D 1200 kit. Stupid power on pump gas but needed 3 guys taking turns pulling to get first start of day at -5C or less and the bigbore pistons needed replacing every season as the ring lands got very loose. Went back to stock cylinders.

Eeleagle

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2021
California
Have a Carl’s big bore on 2021 khaos thing is a animal goes anywhere and so much lighter then my 2021 pro boondocker turbo after rideing a turbo all day I’m beat up it’s so heavy I’d go with a 900 all day over my turbo plus no problems with the Carl’s 900 kit my boondocker agility turbo is on its 2nd Recall kinda a hassle

Premium Features