• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Things that are a "big deal" on here that aren't IRL

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As the title says....what are some mods, or things on sleds that seem to be a big deal on the internet, but are disappointing or inconsequential real-life. A couple for me:

1) Painted/powdercoated/wrapped tunnel and other parts - rails, etc. Was excited for this change, but long story short, the snow still sticks to all of it. IF you are a guy who's sled is always covered in snow - this will change very little. Is there some improvement? Depending on snow conditions, yes. Is it night and day? Absolutely not. This actually seems most dependent on the rider and snow type - rather than the brand of sled or amount of paint/powdercoat/wrap coverage.

2) Cutting the tips/nubs of your track. This is a very short story - if you want maximum powder/deep snow performance - don't do it. We had 2 very similar Assaults out with the 5.1 - one stock, one with the nubs cut off, and the cut one is noticeably sucky-er in deep snow. In harder pack, I imagine the opposite is true. Making the track stiffer is going backwards for deep snow. Choose wisely depending on what conditions you prefer.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
As the title says....what are some mods, or things on sleds that seem to be a big deal on the internet, but are disappointing or inconsequential real-life. A couple for me:

1) Painted/powdercoated/wrapped tunnel and other parts - rails, etc. Was excited for this change, but long story short, the snow still sticks to all of it. IF you are a guy who's sled is always covered in snow - this will change very little. Is there some improvement? Depending on snow conditions, yes. Is it night and day? Absolutely not. This actually seems most dependent on the rider and snow type - rather than the brand of sled or amount of paint/powdercoat/wrap coverage.

2) Cutting the tips/nubs of your track. This is a very short story - if you want maximum powder/deep snow performance - don't do it. We had 2 very similar Assaults out with the 5.1 - one stock, one with the nubs cut off, and the cut one is noticeably sucky-er in deep snow. In harder pack, I imagine the opposite is true. Making the track stiffer is going backwards for deep snow. Choose wisely depending on what conditions you prefer.

yes, f bomb track mod is the worst. maybe for some peoples snow conditions but it made my dragon a "snow chop saw trenching pos". GREAT for around home and on hard pack.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana

snip snip

On the IQ Raw chassis, the track trimming makes a HUGE difference in downhill braking, the track does not roll over as easy letting you slide on down the hill... I did mine on my prior sled (only trimming the nibs, 08 D800) and it made a huge difference in downhill braking especially in spring conditions, and it did not give up much in powder as long as clutch engagement was smooth (no slam-and-trench clutching)... I suspect it is not as much of an issue with newer 5.1 tracks (I think they stiffened them up a bit since 2008), plus the newer sleds are lighter so they do not fold under as easy. My experience with the 08 5.1 155 on downhill - it scared the c*** out of my wife, until I rode it I did not believe the difference, my buddy on an 03 Summit 159x2 coming down the same steep hill, he could get it slowed and stopped before the groomed trail, me on my wife's 08 D700 5.1 untrimmed could not get it slowed down for the life of me and went right on over the trail and on down the hill. (Experienced mountain rider, over 10 years at the time.) Put a Camo Extreme 155x2.5 on her sled, no more problem, and she loved it too.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Haven't ridden one on a dragon, on a Pro - I politely disagree that it does not give up a noticeable amount in powder.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Blow hole/venting- Good clutching/gearing is a much more effective solution.

Head light delete- What a pia for maybe 2lbs. I think I just about fried my whole electrical system even with running a separate VR plus in **** weather no one could see me.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think the problem is not that some mods may not be amazing changes in real world feel, but they do add up, or are more relevant to conditions then end all mods. not to be picky but ill take a stab at your 2 comments.

painted parts. they definately seem to ice up and break snow free better then non coated parts. does it mean no snow sticks? nope, but in general it does shed some weight, very hard to measure, but i would wager a good chunk of coin the weight of snow shed is more then the weight of the paint. Is it enough to dissasemble your sled and drop big coin on coating for? NOPE. but is a factory step in the correct direction.

track mods. HUGELY dependant on your riding location. what works in AK is not relevent in MT/UT/ID/CO/WY/BC. Snow varies massively in its denisty/condition. Its just like clutching, what works for a guy at sea level in heavy snow will not work the same as @10k in blower powder.

Best mod I have seen so far is riding more often. Modern sleds are so freaking capable its sickening. Someone that rides a bone stocker 50 days a year will most likely kick the crap out of someone who has a tricked out sled that rides 10 times a year. Aside from pure power mods like a turbo the other mods are more to feed our "keeping up with the jonses" then fixing true deficiencies in the sleds.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I have to disagree on the paint/ powder coat.

I had mine custom done and after I did a comparison with a sled that was identical at the time minus the powder coat

There was an inch or so difference on all rear suspension components in the natural rails after an identical ride

True snow consitionsay affect this. But it wasn't whatvi observed that day

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
For those of you that coat or wrap the tunnels and skids, how this that holding up this year? If we could get crazy awesome snow like last year, ya it would be great to shed some pounds from the snow build up, but when temperatures are in the 30-40's in the mountains and the snow is hard like this year, I think I would want some snow up inside the tunnel or what ever I can get in the skid to help keep the sled cool. This whole idea of coating/tunnel wraps has its good and bads.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
F-Bomb track works great in Idaho . We do not get a lot of fluffy powder here and ride a lot of steep hills where braking is a good thing before you head into the trees . I have done it to my Dragon and my Pro Assault w/163 no regrets.Added my own tunnel wrap big improvement over stock lot less build up on mine compared to the nonmodded sleds in the group . MTNTK kit and PA head woke this sled up with 19/43 gearing . I will be going to 19/46 if we ever get any snow.
TRS $28 mod works great also temps stay lower than before and the big improvement this yr was View attachment 250891a custom snow flap (aka mud flap this yr)

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Things that aren't a big deal in real life:

Polaris 800 engine problems
Hiperfax
Gauge Lifter
Nose Cone Block Off
Venting the PRO
T-Motion
Aftermarket cans
Tied clutches
Wraps
Aftermarket skis
509 Goggles
Low-profile windshields
Modular helmets
Ski-Doos - had to throw that in:)

That's all I can think of for now

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Things that aren't a big deal in real life:

Polaris 800 engine problems
Hiperfax
Gauge Lifter
Nose Cone Block Off
Venting the PRO
T-Motion
Aftermarket cans
Tied clutches
Wraps
Aftermarket skis
509 Goggles
Low-profile windshields
Modular helmets
Ski-Doos - had to throw that in:)

That's all I can think of for now
Those are some good ones. I've yet to see a tied clutch that worked better than the usual team roller....I imagine it exists somewhere, just haven't seen one. Gauge lifter, well mine is covered in snow during any decent ride so that's kinda pointless. Stock Pro skis are great - they are used as an upgrade on all other brands. Had vents on my last pro - still can't tell you if they "worked," so I'd agree with that too. Nose cone block-off and generally all attempts to "snow proof" your engine compartment seem like a waste of time. It always gets in with deep snow and never seems to cause issue unless it's hitting the clutches/belt directly, or getting inside airbox.

I think it's funny how instead of listing items people have come across - everyone wants to argue the points. Thus adding to "seems like a big deal on the internet" LOL

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Don't own a pro so just asking...

What's your take on importance of replacing front/rear bumpers and adding tunnel supports?

I think the best possible mod is Preventative maintenance and not being an idiot....

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
My list would be of wasted mods:
Skis-stock ones work, but the rubbers suck
Shocks-proper valving and springs makes a huge difference!
Tied Clutch-Waste of money, tried and didn't notice any difference other than a lighter wallet
Big bore-Not worth the money for the headache or gain(or lack there of)!

Things I feel make the biggest POSITIVE change:
36" front end-just makes the sled that much easier to ride in the trees. Plus drops a few lbs
Kurt Gear down kit-huge improvement in throttle response, love the snappiness
Clutching-when done right, it can help in efficiency and life of your drive system
Powdercoat/Vinyl wrap tunnel-protects your stuff from corrosion and serves as a barrier to reduce snow/ice buildup depending on snow conditions.
Can-Cause I like to sound like I'm going fast!

Premium Features