• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Oil Delete Thread

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
How much grease do you think is enough sidehill. It looks like a big cavity. how would a guy know if the grease is even getting to were it needs? Im still nervous about the whole thing but IMO i think the oil line has to be the best option for lubricating everything in there

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
How much grease do you think is enough sidehill. It looks like a big cavity. how would a guy know if the grease is even getting to were it needs? Im still nervous about the whole thing but IMO i think the oil line has to be the best option for lubricating everything in there

how do you see the oil line guaranteeing oil to travel into the cavity? Is there pressurization that I'm missing?

With the grease, you at least know exactly how much is going in there.

On mine, I filled it till it was full, haven't touched it in 1600 miles. I'm going to be hitting it again before I start the season, I'm curious to see how much grease/ oil is in there.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
backcountry it was a question. I have no idea how much oil gets in there. But was curious if anyone think Grease would get were its need to. Maybe ill incorporate both.

and is there a certain kind of grease you use?

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
theres got to be some pressure in the crank case. dont there? The piston coming back down must create some pressure. i know if you lost crank seal you can feel some air movement

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I am also thinking of how it will work to use a zerk and grease it up. I dont like the idea of using grease in the engine to much but maybe it will be fine.
Sidehill?

i would think that the Lubriplate rebuild grease would be a great grease..

S
Nov 27, 2007
oil delete

So I have tried to wrap my head around this.IF you install the jumper line and IF there flow then theoetically it should lean out the cylinder that has the jumper on it?Granted it may not be alot but I believe the theory is there.Also how does the fluid travel up hill to the shaft cavity?I guess the theory is the crank pulses.Hense the one way valve.
Has anyone actually asked Speedwerx or Bikeman or D&D?? about the delete?I'm not trying to bust nuts but its not really making sense?
I looked on a 700 case I have and there is a sweet spot between the reed blocks to drill/tap a grease/lube fitting.This at least would be putting lube on top of the shaft/gear.The 800/1000 may be different.
Also would grease no gum up your powervalves?Or is the wash so minute that it doesn't matter?
I was gung hoe to install my D&D 900 with a speedwerx delete.....until I read this thread.
i wonder what the factory 440/600/800 snox sleds use so they do not experince shaft failure?I know that 04 440z did have an issue.
Just some food 4 thought.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
from what ive read, the AC race team does neither. they put the delete in and its holding up fine. Im gonna run mine hard with the oil line and if it fails. O well. try something different then

M
Feb 25, 2008
Race sleds do not get the hours on them between rebuilds to necessitate the use of some type of lube in this cavity. From experience, I had an '01 trail converted mod with an oil pump block off plate that seized this shaft. After replacement, I drilled two holes in the upper case at 45 degrees next to the two holes that lube the inner crank bearings. Like mentioned above, I believe this was a Speedwerx solution at the time. No issues after that. AC race dept. solution back in '02 - '03 was to add a grease zerk to the block off plate.
The above solution with pictures is great; nice post. This is the first time I've heard of it and would do it in the future. But any solution mentioned throughout would work. The important part is just to get lube to this cavity.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
anyone have a good suggestion on grease? im thinking ill add the zerc on mine just foir pieace of mind, And like said drill the skidplate. easy enough to add a shot or two as often as wanted

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
Damn, I was just about to order a delete kit too. But I have many new questions now.
Is there any chance that if you over pumped grease into it with the zerk you could blow out a seal or anything from the pressure or volume of the grease?

U
Nov 26, 2007
SW Wyoming
Delete

I just tore my engine down. It has delete and has approx 1500 miles on 07
M1000. Looks great. Speedworks race motor. Has hole drilled to cylinder and has plenty of oil in it from premix. I will attach picture showing location of the hole. It is the same size as the factory hole for the bearing.

P1010146-1.jpg

E

extremsledder

Nov 26, 2007
quesnel b.c.
soo i have a question i have a ext580 motor and its the same set up with the shaft and and oil line in the bottom of the case from the oiler but it also has the hole in the top case that go's in to the cavity and iam wondering if that will be addicuit oil for the shaft? seeing that this is what has bean done to so motors for oil to the shaft bearings

N
Nov 2, 2004
Michigan Flats
I just tore my engine down. It has delete and has approx 1500 miles on 07
M1000. Looks great. Speedworks race motor. Has hole drilled to cylinder and has plenty of oil in it from premix. I will attach picture showing location of the hole. It is the same size as the factory hole for the bearing.

That is how I have my 1000 done.
I did the same to my buddys turbo 1200 when we built it.(1 flawless season so far)

P

Photomaker

Dec 9, 2007
SW Montana
I have 1000 miles on my 05 M7 with the BDX oil delete with no problems. After reading this thread I contacted BDX. Following is the correspondence:

-----Original Message: Installed your oil delete kit last year, but after reading posts on Snowest, I am concerned about the need to lubricate the otherside of the water pump shaft? Please advise. Thanks, Mike.

Mike, I have never seen any issues with our oil delete. I have only heard of one on snowest which I believe was consumer error. Make sure to mix 40:1 oil and you will have no problems. Thank You, Jeff Schoenfelder Black Diamond Xtreme EngineeringJeff@BD-Xtreme.com

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
BDX sounds like they beleive in there stuff but cant see what it can hurt adding grease or the oil line to run premix in the cavity
x2. BDX told me the same thing. I ran an oil line. I would worry constantly otherwise. No worries this way.

Premium Features