• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Brake stop ride, What is the real issue

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Its the world we live in these days.
Hopefully things will straighten out sooner or later. Although I don't have much hope.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
This would be the dumbest fix that Polaris could do. I rode my matryx all day yesterday, finger on the brake and no pressure on the brake lever. When you slightly depress the brake lever, you will notice on your 7S display the red brake light turns on. When guys run with their finger on the break, you’re not depressing the brake it’s just there for when you need it in an instant. Maybe that’s why I don’t have problems with my sled and never have but I also don’t put any pressure on the break with my finger is resting on the lever.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I played with this all afternoon. No matter what I tried the inboard pad drags.
I tried shimming the rotor and caliper, also filed the brake lever. If you let the rotor float it doesn’t drag but once you tighten up the top QD sprocket, it drags. I might play with this again tomorrow.
The outboard piston retracts the inboard one doesn’t.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Most new vehicles detune when your foot is on the brake. No more Brakestands !!!!

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
I played with this all afternoon. No matter what I tried the inboard pad drags.
I tried shimming the rotor and caliper, also filed the brake lever. If you let the rotor float it doesn’t drag but once you tighten up the top QD sprocket, it drags. I might play with this again tomorrow.
The outboard piston retracts the inboard one doesn’t.
Did you notice if your rotor was getting hot? Friend and I shaved our levers, after about 10 miles of trail at 20-35mph we stopped for a break to let another buddies sled cool it's new top end, both our rotors were warm, but thats it. YMMV though. I'm not worried about a brake fire on mine, I'm closing in on 600 miles and she is around 150.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have over 1300 miles on mine. You can see QD belt adhesive on my rotor along with blueing, it had been warm.
I’m not worried about fire as well. The brake drag is a power robber.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
What's interesting to me is that nobody has ever posted on this forum about a matryx catching fire due to brake heat.

There are obviously cases of this happening, but we forum jockeys are usually very quick to post when things fail.

Power robbing issues do not equal stop ride recalls IMO, but clearly the attorneys are "working hard to keep us safe."

Not sure how many actual riders are stopping riding due to any brake-related issues, but I don't know any.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
What's interesting to me is that nobody has ever posted on this forum about a matryx catching fire due to brake heat.

There are obviously cases of this happening, but we forum jockeys are usually very quick to post when things fail.

Power robbing issues do not equal stop ride recalls IMO, but clearly the attorneys are "working hard to keep us safe."

Not sure how many actual riders are stopping riding due to any brake-related issues, but I don't know any.
Exactly, nobody said anything till Polaris issued their stop ride...maybe all those sleds blew up from the gas tank recall though before they could...:rolleyes:

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
What are you talking about here?
There is a gap in tunnel so snowdust will enter from inside tunnel to behind brake disc,did they not seal it from factory for
cooling brakes or just production flaw,anyway i did seal it with silicon.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
There is a gap in tunnel so snowdust will enter from inside tunnel to behind brake disc,did they not seal it from factory for
cooling brakes or just production flaw,anyway i did seal it with silicon.
I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if mine has it.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if mine has it.
I looked at my 155 and it definitely has it. I wouldn’t necessarily say that we should all look at this and go, “ Maybe It’s a flaw”, because we will never likely know all of the nuances that they did on a sled during production for certain things like this. There’s a possibility it’s to allow snow dust for cooling the brakes, but I’m not concerned with sealing it up.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I can't speak for you trail riders but there is always snow built up around the QD pulley when I ride. That has to help cool the belt from the rotor heat. I bet only the guys bashing trails who caulked up the hole in their tunnel, custom cut a piece of plastic around their can tip to keep all the snow that was getting by out which caused their clutch to miss align by .000067" and don't forget ⅛" of ice built up made them to get stuck on the trail! ??‍♂️?

Come on Rusty, weigh in with your keyboard expertise and tell us if this isn't quite possibly the reason behind the whole stop ride.

Last edited:
Premium Features