• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

team tied clutch

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
I agree.....the BB's need to be loaded harder low-mid to realize the power gains. I go with more helix at the start and less primary spring start, finish with a slightly shallower ramp and less helix to maintain load and hold RPM/backshift. (vs a stock 800 setup)
This is where a Shockwave comes in handy....adjusting angles at multiple shift points (taking lots of notes) to get the desired results and have a helix cut to the desired angles to optomize up/back shift at ALL shift ratios. Sometimes (all the time.. LOL) the standard available cuts are not what's needed. :face-icon-small-win

I have to tell you I have not had the chance to work with the Skockwave clutch.
From what i see they work well with very high HP motors. All i have is seen them run on a turbo sled and i never got my hands on one :hurt:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have tons of time with the SW helix in the hills on stockers and 860's. Great product.....but.....big tracks and heavy loads need the proper belt sqeeze to keep temps in check. The angles required to complement virtually any primary setup are a fairly wide spread....more than a SW can deliver. I admit I'm pickier than most when it comes to clutching, I have helix's cut for particular setups and the SW makes the process of finding angles much easier. And there are some applications I recomend a SW, like for those riding low and high elev's and not wanting to tear into clutches.
For a Yami they are the shiznit!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have tons of time with the SW helix in the hills on stockers and 860's. Great product.....but.....big tracks and heavy loads need the proper belt sqeeze to keep temps in check. The angles required to complement virtually any primary setup are a fairly wide spread....more than a SW can deliver. I admit I'm pickier than most when it comes to clutching, I have helix's cut for particular setups and the SW makes the process of finding angles much easier. And there are some applications I recomend a SW, like for those riding low and high elev's and not wanting to tear into clutches.
For a Yami they are the shiznit!

Have not ever run agianst your setups however many have had great things to say. Sounds like you,ve enhanced the shockwave helix a bit and corrected its shortfall.

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
has anyone tried team on a big bore

also has anyone tried team with the polar clutch?

Series 3 860: Steep & deep only
Works real well. I have tried a couple different angles with good results, great backshift as everyone is saying. Best driven I've run so far other than a Paragon. Won't hang with a Paragon in the pull. Won't shift out like the Paragon -apples for apples.
Also tried the Tied Team on a cross country race . ( son's Doo 440 race sled ). Also worked real nice. Again, wouldn't run with the Paragon set up on the same sled.
So-- I would say absolutely the biggest bang for the buck I've seen so far.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
The tied set-up is heavier by over a pound than the QRS set-up and I have yet to see a tied or TSS04 outperform a properly set-up QRS. Bang for your buck is a Rooster Built clutch kit. The team set-up is at least 600 and the RB kit is $340.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Tried a TIed on my T1200 and didn't find any gains vs a setup QRS. Tried a bunch of helixes and springs and while belt temps seemed to be a bit cooler, it wasn't night and day and I expected alot more for the money. Clutch seemed less finicky to changing loads and was pretty smooth.

I've used a Shockwave over the past couple of seasons in this machine and was a good tuning tool where I could zero in on what helix angles I needed and use a conventional helix in my QRS. I don't care to leave the Shockwave in the machine, in the past 2 years I've seen 3 of them locally come back with cracked towers ever after replacement. Doesn't give me confidence to run in the backcountry when we go to the mountains.

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
QRS

How long is the bushing lasting in your sliding half? We're not seeing good durability there.
Have a customer I sold a Shockwave to and while last year wasn't a good year for us it will be the 3rd season on it here in Valdez AK. w/no problems.
Mike

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Anybody have any feedback on floating the qrs. Rb clutch setup is awesome on my summit xp, still cant make a belt go 600 miles, though it is all hard on the throttle riding.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
i ride pretty hard on my belt too,,,, 400 miles and get a cord showing,,,, which may not mean the belt is done,,,, but i dont like to break belts, or ride them continually shredding cord. makes a mess of things and could potentially get cord in the crank. anyone got input on Roosterbuilt with a floating secondary? with hard mtn riding and better belt life.? i will be sending the primary out to perks for balancing too. just looking for a longer life on 160 dollar belt. Performance is spot on:face-icon-small-win

Venting will become part of my sled this year as well. not sure i am convinced it does much, but will give it a try this year. wish i was sponsored by BRP. that would make parts cheaper:face-icon-small-win

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
I have a team tied on mine previously had the qrs with a shockwave. my tied flat out kicks its @ss day in and day out. now problems ever, took some time for me to dial it to my set up and liking but works awesome. keeps clutch temps down, way more responsive but costly none the less, I have road some dj clutch kits they work really well also. I would stick with my team just for ease of tunability.

Premium Features