• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I need to post this as the other post makes it look like we didn't have a beautiful sunny day. It was an awesome sunny day!
fb0a80d2f038995cd4ade69eb2e0a7ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I need to post this as the other post makes it look like we didn't have a beautiful sunny day. It was an awesome sunny day!
fb0a80d2f038995cd4ade69eb2e0a7ff.jpg

A week and a half ago I was on the other side of the mountain in your picture. (Adams) the snow was skinny but we had fun and found a few deep spots

AEAF222E-7EC0-4B43-81C7-CDDB344DD3AD.jpeg

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
That’s my brother stuck. He’s on a 600 with a 2 1/4” track. The kids sled. His will be back together in another week. ? this is me just above him helping him. Bluebird day!

E934329A-87A6-4F96-9A6D-6400EB1E674A.jpeg C343563B-7FE0-4CDF-9AC7-491EF14214EC.jpeg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It's been rain above 5k ft and 0° below 5k ft.
Very strong inversion.
Pic is what u will look like coming back to the truck.....lolScreenshot_20221224_142154_Facebook.jpg

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Anyone know for sure what is required at the Ahtanum parking lot? Sno Park permit or discovery pass? I seem to remember it changing, but never got a definitive answer.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Heading out Seattle area to pick up a buddies new sled this Friday. Planned on riding a few days before heading back towards Colorado. Location wise was thinking near Yakima would be convenient and has some lodging close.

We have never been rode in WA and know nothing of area. Was thinking the Ahtanum parks. That a good place for some novices to break in a new sled? Easy to stay relatively close to the trail and find some ok riding and not get totally lost or end up somewhere shouldn't be? Any advice on where to park or head or if a better place in general would be appreciated. We have a sled deck so no trailer. Or even places to eat or grab a drink at night.

I do know I need to get a permit but looks easy enough to find a place to walk in and get one. The department of park’s website is pretty helpful on where snoparks are and where to get passes.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
D
Dec 18, 2018
Heading out Seattle area to pick up a buddies new sled this Friday. Planned on riding a few days before heading back towards Colorado. Location wise was thinking near Yakima would be convenient and has some lodging close.

We have never been rode in WA and know nothing of area. Was thinking the Ahtanum parks. That a good place for some novices to break in a new sled? Easy to stay relatively close to the trail and find some ok riding and not get totally lost or end up somewhere shouldn't be? Any advice on where to park or head or if a better place in general would be appreciated. We have a sled deck so no trailer. Or even places to eat or grab a drink at night.

I do know I need to get a permit but looks easy enough to find a place to walk in and get one. The department of park’s website is pretty helpful on where snoparks are and where to get passes.

Thanks in advance
The Ahtanum is pretty easy to Navigate . Big snow park easy to find. The area is as hard or easy as you would like to make it. So no worries there.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Some of the best riding in the State!
It can be a super easy trail ride to very technical advanced riding.
Plus, there are warming huts and restrooms at 4.5k and 6k ft.
Not too many places have those amenities on top of the mountain.

U don't have to worry about any wilderness borders either.
There is the yakama Indian reservation to the south, but u shouldn't have any reason to pull u in that direction.

The Ahtanum could have over 100trucks in the parking lots, and ur group can spend the whole day without seeing anyone if u choose or, stay on The trails and see hundreds of people.

Yakima peeps are truly blessed with this great riding area.
Some yrs you can ride all 12 months. Albeit August and September will be very little snow and not really worth the trouble.

If i was able to ride this weekend, i would gladly show you around.

C
Nov 26, 2007
West Richland
Yeah, Ahtanum is pretty solid. Have had some unreal rides there. Like, people think you are full of **** when you talk about them, unreal kind of rides.

Quality snow too.

Premium Features