• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico / Yakima Report

M
Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT.
Time to start the new thread section.

Just plain cold today, high of 19, snowing down in the valley tonight and probably up here sometime later. Looks like we have a chance of snow for the next 7 - 8 days coming up. Hopefully this is the start of the big dump we have all been waiting for.

Remember, the trail grooming starts on the 15th except on the Middle Fork again this year.

S

Summertime Blues

Nov 26, 2007
Grandview, WA
I was reading in the latest WSSA Snoflyer that Jackass will not be groomed this winter as well. Man that is a lot of traffic up the North Fork!!!

That will be busy on the weekends

M
Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT.
Yes, you will have to be on your toes when traveling that way again this year. Hopefully this will be the last winter we have to deal with this according to the rumor mill out there. Just have to wait and see.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Forgive my ignorance...

So, if they don't groom, does that mean they post the roads closed? I've only ridden up there once, last ride of last year, from Treephones. I really liked the area, but don't like crowds. Bagger

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
They will post at the bottom of the middle fork, which is what treephones is on, that it's closed to snowmobiles due to logging opperations on the middle fork road between the bottom lot and treephones.
yes, it sucks

S

Summertime Blues

Nov 26, 2007
Grandview, WA
So will Jackass be posted closed? That is a double suck for everything. North Fork will be hammered and all the other areas (section 3, Chinook) will get more traffic from people not going towards Tampico. :(:(

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
There were certainly more up in Section 3 last year. Probably a combination of the logging mess, and the new connector trail that they started grooming on FR 1000.
So I guess there isn't a practical way to get around the logging areas? B

M
Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT.
Are you guys ready for some good news ?

Just received notice that all logging operations in the Ahtanum have shut down for the winter. All of the roads will be open and groomed once we get some more snow. They have been hauling out equipment all week, and that is word I got from Vic Mason the contracted groomer for the area.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT.
The only thing you have to wait for is for them to finish bringing out the logs they have staged at the head of the Middle Fork. Shouldn't take too long before they are done up there.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Sweet!

That's cool, are there any new play area's that are freshly logged off? B

By the way, thanks for the updates. One of these days I'm actually going to get my sled out on the snow!

R
Nov 26, 2007
More info on the Ahtanum area: As of December 13th it looks like the logging operation is down for the winter (from Vic Masons brother). The gate that was to be installed where the old cattle gaurd was has not been installed yet and probably won't be this season. The Ahtanum Meadows parking lot (first small lot on the South side before Jackass Road on the right) has been used by the County road crews as a stockpile area for a slide that occurred earlier and will not be cleaned off for the winter. Par for the course for Yakima County Government. This is as of Wednesday if any of this has changed it will be brought up at the Grooming meeting which has been changed to Jan. 9th. And a special note: A lot of work has been put into Blueslide Cabin, The Ahtanum Hilton Cabin, and the Clover Flats Cabin, Please do your part in helping to keep them that way, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT.
The county cleaned up the dirt pile Friday morning, and were done before noon.

All we have to wait for is for them to finish hauling out the logs that are staged at their Middle Fork landing, then they will be finished for the winter.

Premium Features