• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Superbowl

T
Jul 13, 2001
UTAH!!
Rider died in avy there this last week in the chutes to the west south west of the bowl.

Technically superbowl is private property belonging to the Thousand Peaks Ranch folks.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Rider died in avy there this last week in the chutes to the west south west of the bowl.

Technically superbowl is private property belonging to the Thousand Peaks Ranch folks.

is it the super bowl area that is private, or just the land that accesses it??

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
Moffit Basin is the private area. I thought that the superbowls was the area just over the ridge to the east of Moffit but I may be wrong. Seems everyone has different names for the same places. Moffit is private and is very poorly marked. Any access from the Weber river drainage will go through Thousand Peaks Ranch. From the north ( chalk creek) is also traversing private land. Only public access is from Double hill area. From double hill go right along the ridge and down into the open area. Instead of veering to the left stay right. If you climb the ridge directly ahead, you cannot drop off to the left or west as that is Moffitt. Plenty of good stuff to the east, its just not as big or open an Moffit. Follow the drainage out toward the south east and it drops you near the Whitney warming hut and chalk creek trail split. Its aboiut 15 miles on the trail back to Bear River Service.

Coordinates for Moffit:N 40:50.238 W 111:00.334 Also another waypoint I marked N 40:47.044 W 110.:59.174
Coords for Double Hill: N 40:50.051 W 110:57.322

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Farr West, Utah
If you go on to there property they will let you know (followed by a guy
wearing carhartt's) he followed us everywhere, making sure we didn't
go on to there property, played in superbowl, he didn't bug us, stoped
follow us once we we started heading east, followed us 3 out of last 4 trips
to this area, real nice guys.

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If you go on to there property they will let you know (followed by a guy
wearing carhartt's) he followed us everywhere, making sure we didn't
go on to there property, played in superbowl, he didn't bug us, stoped
follow us once we we started heading east, followed us 3 out of last 4 trips
to this area, real nice guys.

I can't believe they have a guy up there just driving around making sure they don't get on the land. Seems kind of a lot of effort. What exactly are they worried about? That slide last week that killed the rider was up there on private land right?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Farr West, Utah
I can't believe they have a guy up there just driving around making sure they don't get on the land. Seems kind of a lot of effort. What exactly are they worried about? That slide last week that killed the rider was up there on private land right?

On one trip I went over and talked to the guy, he said they were
doing helicopter drop offs for some rich people (skiers) and had to make
sure no snowmobilers didn't go over and tear it up. I've only been there
on sat. from what I understand thats what they do with thier land.
He also said east of the ridge was ok west of the ridge was not ok,
so I took that to be the boundry (one break we did hear helicopters)

T
Jul 13, 2001
UTAH!!
According to Thousand Peaks folks....

Super Bowl/Moffit Peak is all private. They run guided tours into Super Bowl and the damn Park City Powder Cats are in there with there skiers once in a while.
We were chased around there last year by the guides....even though we spent about an hour digging their dumb a$$ tour folks out of the fluff. They would have been there all afternoon if it wasn't for us.

If you enter from Weber Canyon side, it's marked private. If you enter from east through Double Hill you could honestly never pass a single sign or marker.

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Are you guys that are going from Thousand Peaks, going through the water? I always remember having to cross the water because the gate is private etc. I pretty much gave up on that area about 4 years ago due to all the hassles of getting there from Timberlakes. I always thought they had to allow access to public land, I know the Superbowl (Moffit basin) is private, but if I remember right, there is a sign on the way in showing welcome to the Uintas or something like that.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Snow update from superbowl... Yesterday there was about 4 feet of sugar on what seamed like about a 3 foot base. GREAT ride, well atleast until my new sled got totalled out.... chassis tweaked pretty bad. Anyways be careful Doublehill slid TWICE yesterday to the dirt and heard rumors of another one over towards Yamaha Hill

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
here's where those coords land on a map - see attached.

the "other" waypoint FurryCURT gave seems way out there... are those coords correct?

also curious to know where Yamaha Hill is with respect to these waypoints.

moffit.jpg

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
Super Bowl/Moffit Peak is all private.

wow, how cool would it be to OWN that kind of terrain!! I wonder how this deal came to be... seems like land of this kind is always owned by the Forest Service or BLM and threatened for wilderness closure. I'd love to know what it sold for!

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Are you guys that are going from Thousand Peaks, going through the water? I always remember having to cross the water because the gate is private etc. I pretty much gave up on that area about 4 years ago due to all the hassles of getting there from Timberlakes. I always thought they had to allow access to public land, I know the Superbowl (Moffit basin) is private, but if I remember right, there is a sign on the way in showing welcome to the Uintas or something like that.

its funny because up big cottonwood canyon the FS has a strip of public land that is denying private land owners access to their land. its been tied up in courts for years... but i guess private land owners can deny access to public lands no big deal... :face-icon-small-con

maybe if we all pool money together we can buy the private land and make a snowmobile paradise...

M
Dec 9, 2007
Kaysville
Loren Munch family owns Thousand Peaks ranch, has been in their family since the begining of time. The ranch to the north east of thousand peaks (where the tower is) is owned by Aagard family, they have also been owners since the begining of time. You couldn't print enough money to purchase these ranches. The Munch family contracts out to snow cat skiing west of the superbowl. This is why they have started patrolling the area. If they catch you over in there they are not very happy to say the least. They do not do much skiing in the superbowl area due to the diffuculty of getting there in there snowcats from Smith and Morehouse. There property line starts where you drop down into the superbowl coming in from Double Hill and run west from there. As far as Yamaha hill, have never heard of it.

Premium Features