• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SOS: 2021 m8000 electrical fun

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
You are going to have to address the codes first. The P1004 would explain the elevated idle, check it for wiring or hose issues. I would do the same for the oil pump. The ISC is located on top of the air intake under the pipe and has two hoses running to the throttle body. Good Luck and keep us updated

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Not many new findings, had some other things going on and haven't been able to work on it. I verified the ground coming off the stator is functioning. Got a second opinion from a friend, he pointed out that I used a fairly liberal amount of dielectric grease on the VR/stator connections, probably too much. Also some of the grease was separating - forming a part gel/part liquid substance. I took the connections apart, cleaned them and the sled reacted well to it. Idling normally, running more consistently, codes all gone. It had some hiccups on a test ride still. Before going to work today I did a bit more thorough cleaning via blowing them out with connection cleaner and I am letting them air dry. When I got home tomorrow I'm going to take the tank off and go though the rest of the wiring harness looking for chaffing.

You are going to have to address the codes first. The P1004 would explain the elevated idle, check it for wiring or hose issues. I would do the same for the oil pump. The ISC is located on top of the air intake under the pipe and has two hoses running to the throttle body. Good Luck and keep us updated
I'll explore the codes, however, I never had codes prior to this pull cord issue, I'm leaning towards the codes being associated and solved with this electrical problem. My timing sensors were pretty jacked up so I'm fairly certain that explains the P1004 code. ISC was probably confused because it wasn't getting accurate readings off the flywheel. 1003 (oil pump outlier) and 1005 (low voltage) I'm guessing lead back to stator function, or lack of.

Obviously I'm not a technician, but these are my thoughts and gut feeling. All opinions and advice is welcomed and much appreciated. Thanks all!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
First, i would check all connectors to make sure pins were not pulled out, then i would remove the loom from the wires and thoroughly inspect.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Not many new findings, had some other things going on and haven't been able to work on it. I verified the ground coming off the stator is functioning. Got a second opinion from a friend, he pointed out that I used a fairly liberal amount of dielectric grease on the VR/stator connections, probably too much. Also some of the grease was separating - forming a part gel/part liquid substance. I took the connections apart, cleaned them and the sled reacted well to it. Idling normally, running more consistently, codes all gone. It had some hiccups on a test ride still. Before going to work today I did a bit more thorough cleaning via blowing them out with connection cleaner and I am letting them air dry. When I got home tomorrow I'm going to take the tank off and go though the rest of the wiring harness looking for chaffing.

I'll explore the codes, however, I never had codes prior to this pull cord issue, I'm leaning towards the codes being associated and solved with this electrical problem. My timing sensors were pretty jacked up so I'm fairly certain that explains the P1004 code. ISC was probably confused because it wasn't getting accurate readings off the flywheel. 1003 (oil pump outlier) and 1005 (low voltage) I'm guessing lead back to stator function, or lack of.

Obviously I'm not a technician, but these are my thoughts and gut feeling. All opinions and advice is welcomed and much appreciated. Thanks all!
Most likely you are right that they are connected but you need to get rid of the codes and see if the problem still exists. Hopefully not! Kinda amazing what a little piece of rope can do. good luck.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Most likely you are right that they are connected but you need to get rid of the codes and see if the problem still exists.
Ahh gotcha! I'll check it out! Thanks.

Kinda amazing what a little piece of rope can do. good luck.
Yeah right! At this point, it's difficult to differentiate what is out of place directly from the rope, or just from tearing it open several times to work on it.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Just an update. Got the sled out a few times over the last week and it's ran flawless. In hindsight, I think I should've started this whole troubleshooting process by replacing the timing sensors, and definitely not going to use dielectric grease on connections in the future! Thanks for all the input

Premium Features