• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy range snow condtions?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Possibly heading to the snowies on or around the 16th, hoping conditions improve by then. Thanks for the report Wintertime.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Thanks for the previous updates. Forecasts look like some snow this week. I can remember friends going out around Thanksgiving (years past) and having pretty good conditions. It looks a little thin, so far, this year. Hopefully, we'll catch up a bit during January!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
This storm that went through yesterday put about a foot down west of Rob Roy in the Rambler area - so hopefully the areas up around the peaks did even better.

Couple more chances of snow up through this weekend - long range forecasts are up in the air right now for the second half of the month.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Left Ohio on Thursday afternoon; drove straight thru with no stops, arrived a hair over 19hrs later, unloaded out sleds and rode for about 7hrs around French Creek area. First time here. Lots of stucks; I ran out of talent & balls. Was totally exhausted after our drive and ride...need to be in better shape! Not sure what conditions are usually like; we all found a few hidden surprises in the meadows. Snow seems light & pillowy; deceptively deep in some areas.

CAA5AA56-524F-43A1-826D-5E899360F180.jpeg59FE7BE2-4734-419A-BD97-F55F68AFACB6.jpeg

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
That's first day after the marathon drive is always an a$$whooping! Where'd you find you Intel on the snow conditions, IG? Sorry, all in good fun! We are headed out there on 14th for a quick first trip.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
That's first day after the marathon drive is always an a$$whooping! Where'd you find you Intel on the snow conditions, IG? Sorry, all in good fun! We are headed out there on 14th for a quick first trip.

Albany Lodge is constantly updating on their Instagram and Facebook.

Old Corral has a really good weekly email they send out too. Lots of great info for snowies.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I
Dec 21, 2016

I didn’t search for intel anywhere and I don’t have Instagram. A group of guys local to me invited me along for the ride they’d already had planned for a while and some of them have been here before.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
My comment about intel on snow conditions was a joke from another thread, I know where to find conditions where I want to ride.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
First timers coming to the Range from MN this weekend. We know it’s likely not the best snow but it’s more than we’ve got, so we’re going to make the best of it.

I’ve checked with C3 goodie guides and they’re booked, so we’re going at it alone. We’re experience MT and ID backcountry riders, but looking at all the area in the snowies has me wondering where to start exploring. The trail system looks very good so I’m sure we’ll be riding the trails looking for some lesser traveled routes.

We’ll be staying in Centennial and unloading each day at Green Rock. Any thoughts on where we should go or stay away? Any cool overlooks or “must visits” while in the area, backcountry or not? PM if you’d like. Thanks!

N
Aug 26, 2018
First timers headed to Albany Lodge for a few days mid February then off to Alpine for a few more days. Any suggestions as to a direction or area for us to ride at each stop? Thanks in advance

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
May advice if your parking at Green Rock on the Weekend get there early and get as far away from it as possible. The snow is thin low and the ride out and back from the lot is TERRIBLE. The Groomer neeeds to make a pass down the side of the road from SML down. There is enough snow to do so. This would help a lot and if people would just ride out and not gun every few feet to look cool for the parking lot the rollers would not be so bad.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
First timers headed to Albany Lodge for a few days mid February then off to Alpine for a few more days. Any suggestions as to a direction or area for us to ride at each stop? Thanks in advance

For Albany - the snow at lower elevations right now is thin, so hopefully we will get some good storms before you arrive. Start by taking trail Q and then go north on T (higher elevations to get to the better snow - right now you want to get west and north of Albany to get to the better snow base). There is lots of stuff to ride off of T - this year there is some new burn areas right off the trail from the fires last summer.

It is quite a ride from Albany to the 'top' of the mountain - if conditions and your fuel levels are OK you should try to head up there to check that area out too, just make sure you watch the weather - crossing Libby Flats in a whiteout is not fun, it's very easy to lose your sense of direction because there are very few (no) landmarks on that flat, the wind howls across there and can create quite a ground blizzard. We were up there one day over New Years and it was bluebird clear - hopefully you get at least one day like that so you can get up there and enjoy the views and the snow. If the snow is deep try to pack fuel if you head that direction - you will have a lot of fun and want to use every drop.

N
Aug 26, 2018
For Albany - the snow at lower elevations right now is thin, so hopefully we will get some good storms before you arrive. Start by taking trail Q and then go north on T (higher elevations to get to the better snow - right now you want to get west and north of Albany to get to the better snow base). There is lots of stuff to ride off of T - this year there is some new burn areas right off the trail from the fires last summer.

It is quite a ride from Albany to the 'top' of the mountain - if conditions and your fuel levels are OK you should try to head up there to check that area out too, just make sure you watch the weather - crossing Libby Flats in a whiteout is not fun, it's very easy to lose your sense of direction because there are very few (no) landmarks on that flat, the wind howls across there and can create quite a ground blizzard. We were up there one day over New Years and it was bluebird clear - hopefully you get at least one day like that so you can get up there and enjoy the views and the snow. If the snow is deep try to pack fuel if you head that direction - you will have a lot of fun and want to use every drop.
Thats all really great info, thank you!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Thank for all the updates it's getting there I will be out end of the month.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Rode yesterday and today. Busy at green rock but I only saw a few sleds off trail. Today was great with about a foot of fresh overnight and it is setting up good below. Still lots of down logs to hurdle over.
58fe6860c0087fea73558f0cfcdd335c.jpg
5effd085fd1e7a32cc4930b6ff62190d.jpg

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
We had a great 2.5 days of riding! Thanks to all who gave me some tips! The snow that fell Friday night really saved the trip for us. We were pretty impressed with the riding areas and found even with an overflowing parking area, there was plenty of room to explore without seeing anyone else. We will definitely be back!

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I'm sure you will have a pretty good base as I heard they got 18+ sunday night after they got 12 on saturday while we were there. Rocky Mountain Sled Conditions on FB looks like some new snow in the next 5 days.
It will just depend if you get some fresh right before your there like we all hope happens!

Premium Features