• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy range snow condtions?

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
WYDOT has closed Hwy 130 for the season. Sno-Tel is showing from 13” around Rob Roy Res to 26” near Sand Lake. Trail riding would be possible. Off trail riding would not be recommend yet. Please remember, there must be 12” of snow to ride off trail. The Snowy Range Snowmobile Club wants to remind every one of that requirement. The Forest Service will be checking, especially in the Mullen Fire burned areas.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Pretty rough yet in most places.
f316f07f162fe2bcf5073b075702877d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cripes! I hope you didn’t drive too far to ride that trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
That was the worst of it but yeah we turned around pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Road out of Albany today. Lower elevations are very thin, but there was snow covering all of the trail “Q” from Albany to Rob Roy. “T” trail was is also very well covered. Be careful riding off trail, not much base any where. I would recommend sticking to the trail until you’re North of the Nelson Park Warm hut. There was some pretty heavy snow coming down once we got to “U” and all the way back to “N”. Due to very flat light conditions and problems fogging up, we turned around and went back to Albany. As mentioned earlier, there’s not much base but the snow is starting to pile up. Another storm forecast for Monday and Tuesday.

Enjoy and be Safe.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
Does anyone know if ungroomed trail "o","no","y""k" have been marked up in the sand lake area north of Brooklyn lake? Planning trip this Thursday. thanks

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
They are marked. I was at Quealy Hut on Christmas day. The Snow over by N and that way is decent and has some base to it where I rode. With the new snow over the next few days it will only get better. We didnt get to western with off trail. You can see the creeks in the outline still and see some of the bigger stuff. If this storm pans out we should be better and going in the right direction. Planning on riding Wednesday.

Last edited:

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
We had a New Years trip planned but cancelled after lack of snow. Checking web cams today Im pretty bummed. This will def help out and hope to make Snowies trip soon. Totally sucks having to plan a trip from 1000 miles away. Need to just move my ass back to the mountains.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Listening in; supposed to come out 1/7-1/14

I think it should be ok by then - hopefully you will have some fresh snow to cover up all the New Years tracks. It looks like the storm track keeps doing it's thing through the first half of Jan - lots of little storms tracking in every few days according to the forecast I listened to this morning.

We need some of the big ones to head our way too eventually though....

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Rode yesterday out of Ryan Park my normal side of riding. The snow is much better than Christmas with more. The higher up and north the more snow. with that said I still did see running water and thin spots. The other thing is it is SUPER BUSY even on my side of the Range where we never had out of states parking. Every meadow close to the trail was tracked up. I believe if you are adventurous you could find some great snow away from the crowds. However it may cost some A-arms. We really need this to settle in and one more good storm and we will be in business. I have been riding the Range for 20+ years and I'm still tip toeing around. Most of that is i don't like to break stuff. There is plenty of snow to have a great time riding in and playing safer areas. If your powder hunting or want to explore and driving from hours away I would wait. This is just may opinion on what I saw some may see it different.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thanks for the thorough report Wintertime.

Anyone have anything on the Madres?
It looked good to the south around Hahns Peak

Premium Features