• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowest 858 Pod Cast!

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I feel my cats have always performed the best running 1-200rpm higher than what the dynos usually show for peak power.
I also find this for nearly all sleds dyno’d. It’s like they can’t warm up the engine and pipe enough before the dyno runs. They probably get into the dyno run before everything is ripping hot perhaps because they don’t have a great heat exchanging system tied into the coolant to allow for consecutive or long dyno runs. The colder pipes will make peak power at lower RPM on a dyno run.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
altitude makes about 150 rpm difference in where an engine/pipe combination makes most power....with higher altitude needing a little more rpm to hit the max output....most dynos are at lower altitudes than the actual riding altitudes, hence the 1-2 hundred rpm difference between what the dyno says and how the engine actually performs on the hill....

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Interesting. Does the same apply if the pipe is tuned for higher elevation and the compression is bumped? According to Bikeman's sea level dyno graphs my 900 peak hp is 8200 and Tq is 8100 so I clutch for 8200. It doesn't pull as hard at 83-8400.

I've seen Bikeman do a few videos on their youtube channel where they do several dyno pulls in a row and you can see the power curve shift as the pipe temp goes up. They've also done some sustained 1min long pulls at WOT to validate their settings stay consistent in those situations.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Snowest just re-released a new review of the 858 after a new test ride with more finely calibrated Catalyst sleds and they are claiming night and day difference. New sleds meeting the high expectations

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Interesting that they improved the calibration that much! Now they love it lol.
It’s crazy but I understood their reaction from the first ride. The demo sleds in West were way off too. You can clearly hear and see the difference in the latest videos posted. Now I’m super jealous because those are a completely different sleds then what I rode in West.

Summer sucks!!!!

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i sno-checked the 858 blue sled, i've been a cat guy mainly for years....i have a friend who has this years 600 and the sled rips, no problems....i certainly hope the sled is delivered with the better tuning that was talked about in the second snowest podcast....however , !!!!....i've been to every spring ride cat (and poo/doo) has put on for the last 20 years or so, and have yet to get a fall sled that was tuned to the power/clutching levels that what i rode in the spring....the spring sleds being aggressively tuned, but the fall delivery was noteably less so.....and if a more aggressive tune is put in the box, the warranty is invalidated.....i assume Cat reads these posts, so i hope they come thru....

C
Oct 26, 2023
Washington
I know it has probably been mentioned here before, but will someone please explain what in he'll is that ugly black collar going around the primary? Its purpose or is it a containment device should it grenade? SMH
The black ring is the new external spyder for the 858s, who knows why engineering needed it on the new motor, but it is most likely there to increase the strength of the clutch. I'll take a clutch that doesn't explode over one that does that saves a pound. If I get an 858 I will likely put all the SSI/BDX billet parts for the primary and secondary, like a clutch cover and titanium hardware. I will also get the Ibexx roller conversion on the clutch.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The 858 without the ES? Did they remove the damper ring on this 25 clutch?

The previous clutch has a starter ring for the ES of course but the non comes with a damper ring, just making that clear.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The 858 without the ES? Did they remove the damper ring on this 25 clutch?

The previous clutch has a starter ring for the ES of course but the non comes with a damper ring, just making that clear.
They still have the damper ring, so there is really no weight difference between the two.

I believe the adapt primary with the alum spider is about a pound less then the team primary. So with the steel spider on the 858 it should put it close to the same weight as the team. I’m sure aftermarket will come out with a billet spider.

Premium Features