• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowest 858 Pod Cast!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Well that just killed a bunch of the hype. Clearly not impressed with the bottom end. Which is the current rage with the NA mountain segment right now.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Several of us commented on ig post’s saying it sounded lethargic on the bottom and everyone assured us it just sounded like that cuz it was a stroker….guess not. Lol

C
Oct 26, 2023
Washington
Well that just killed a bunch of the hype. Clearly not impressed with the bottom end. Which is the current rage with the NA mountain segment right now.

Hoping the bottom end improves with better tuning and clutch calibration, plus that 1 pound extra on the spyder doesn't help with the engine revving quicker. It seems weird that the 858 stroker seems to have less bottom end then the old 800 ctec. Usually strokers make more torque and power at lower rpm.

Sled sounds like it is a ripper in the mid range and top end. Also sucks that they all got to really only ride the e-start models with 22 pounds extra weight.

I'm still excited for the 858 and more excited for the new chassis. Hopefully Cat proves them wrong about the 858 bottom end, but we won't know until the 2024/2025 winter.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Hopefully the bottom end issue is just a fuel, timing, and or power valve tuning issue. I believe the word was 250% more surface area with the new design. Perhaps the valve timing is late keeping the engine choked off too long while it’s trying to rev up. Fingers crossed cuz I ordered one 😆

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
9r sounding like clearer choice. Although I’m sure it will get better.
I remember when they gave RMR a 400 blast to try and sell the world, with flatlander clutching in it 😣
What they rode sounds like my helium cat with the lightly modded zuke.
Pulls the ctech 800 mid-top, doesn’t jump out the hole as clean tho. I don’t need another one, I want that 9r bottom to top snap. Just hope the clutch stays on it for 25.
Can’t wait to see a tuned 858 go up the hill at Jackson this year!

C
Oct 26, 2023
Washington
9r sounding like clearer choice. Although I’m sure it will get better.
I remember when they gave RMR a 400 blast to try and sell the world, with flatlander clutching in it 😣
What they rode sounds like my helium cat with the lightly modded zuke.
Pulls the ctech 800 mid-top, doesn’t jump out the hole as clean tho. I don’t need another one, I want that 9r bottom to top snap. Just hope the clutch stays on it for 25.
Can’t wait to see a tuned 858 go up the hill at Jackson this year!
Too bad the 9R is about $3000 extra from the mountain cat. Plus Cat has the better shock package and track. The 9R is sweet, if you don't get a lemon, hopefully there aren't any lemons for 2025.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
You probably right. I had just watched the polarwest review right before this one and could be falling for sponsored media but the refinements did sound on point for Polaris. Cat will have a few no doubt moving forward

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Is the 858 even competing with the 9R? I mean it seems closer to an 850. So what is the point in comparing its bottom end to the 9? I bet it’s similar to the other 2 850s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Is the 858 even competing with the 9R? I mean it seems closer to an 850. So what is the point in comparing its bottom end to the 9? I bet it’s similar to the other 2 850s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just rode 9r yesterday. Bottom end isn't close but overall power might surprise people. Been too long since I've rode na polaris or doo.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I rode my 800 ctec all day and then jumped on the demo sleds. It's not a completely far comparison because there is nothing stock on my 800 - primary weights/spring and secondary helix/spring are different; fully piped (y, chamber, can)/tuned, head and boyesen reeds. I have to fully admit the bottom end on the demo 858s was disappointing. My 800's initial punch is significantly harder. But my setup sucks on the trail, revvy/pingy and kind of fights for the right cruising 'gear' but in the hills and even hammering hard (not cruising) on the trails its a ton of fun. The clutching on the 858 demo sleds were hands down better for trail riding. I can't remember what the fully stock 800 ctec was like. That said, the 858 does feel like it pulls harder (mid/top) and keeps building power (top) where the 800 feels like it plateaus. As hard as it was to listen to the Snowest blubbering 'pounce cast' and beating a dead horse to death, they were correct on the bottom end. That is where AC f'd up and needs to address this quickly. All the NA rag the last few years has been bottom end punch, that is the expectation in the mountain segment right now. Cat should know this and should have had that addressed. Now they have created 'noise' and the competitor's fan base is going to eat this up. Be interesting to see how AC responds. They created the hype and now some of that has been lost. Can they get it back? It was truly sad the 'pounce cast' did not get into the handling of the chassis. Even with the current lazy bottom end, I do not want to ride my ascender anymore. The catalyst feels so much better. I can understand why most guys with 600s have stopped riding their 800s; stealing their "wife/kids" sled. Overall no reason to lose your sh!t over this. It should be addressed with clutching, tuning, and maybe power valve adjustments. It's just to bad AC created the noise.

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Couldn’t agree more Chewy 22. It’s seems clear to me A/C is still in development/ fine tuning mode on this engine. They will most likely be making changes right up until production. I’m not overly concerned they have some time to figure it out. I do think they need to respond though with what they are doing to address the issues.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
How about the complaining about how difficult it was to pull start, and the poor location that has way less mechanical advantage then other brands. Never owned a Cat but hasn't it been in the middle location for quite awhile now? And they also eluded to never starting with one pull even when warm, that seems very odd!! Obviously Cat has some work to do, they will need better calibrations in many aspects to keep the hype going....Its my first Cat snowcheck ever and i was sure hoping for a winner this time around!!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Part II - some alright info. They certainly need more time on the sled. Very Polaris bias but most journalist are 'Kool-Aid' drinkers so not surprising. It was mentioned it's a better overall package then the ascender. Hoping for a quick summer/fall!!!

Last edited:
S
Sep 27, 2022
Tomahawk WI
Couldn’t agree more Chewy 22. It’s seems clear to me A/C is still in development/ fine tuning mode on this engine. They will most likely be making changes right up until production. I’m not overly concerned they have some time to figure it out. I do think they need to respond though with what they are doing to address the issues.
They are still tuning this engine, all the videos of everyone riding them has been prototype clutching. Should be different for product sleds

Premium Features