• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNEAK PEAK... ALL NEW 2012 TIMBERSLED MOUNTAIN TAMER SUSPENSION

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Top notch Allen...i would have liked to hear that possibly the new technology would be able to be updated to the old with a few parts being interacted but i am not disappointed because the rearskid i have of yours currently has me completely satisfied with the added extra volume chambers i installed.
I am going to get the Barkbuster frt end before i look at your new skid but it sure is a surprise at the price you have this unit at..!!!...very affordable..!!!!...so i just may have to save a month of old -age pension or so..lol...

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I just bought z broz for my current mtn tamer. Can I slap the shocks I have now into the new suspension or do I need different length shocks and different valving?

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Like the OEM's do, as years pass they evolve their products and most of the changes are updateable. But at some point they come out with an all new model, that is what we have done with the Mtn. Tamer. It should probably have a new name but we could not come up with something catchy enough that is not already used. There are a couple of parts in the old kit that are the same. But by the time you add up all the other need parts it would end up costing what the kit costs.

The new shocks are a different length and stroke, and they also have a different calibration. The EXIT shocks are very modifiable but I am not sure if they can be changed. I will find out and let you guys know for sure. If so that would definitely save a few bucks.

One thing I forgot to mention was from now through the end of August we will be offering a $100 discount and free shipping in the US and discount rate to Canada.

Last edited:

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
wow, awesome! I'm so glad I didn't purchase yet, I'll be waiting till this is availible

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
DITTO....I think upgrades should be free to existing customers.

I talked to Cat, Poo & Skidoo about that... they're on it. From now on, just buy one sled, and they'll up grade it for free. New motor... NO PROBLEM. New chassis... NO PROBLEM :face-icon-small-ton

Back in 08 I had a T-sled skid & was VERY disappointed withe the durability & bottom out protection... & I told plenty of people about it. In the last 2 years I've heard from many people that the durability has greatly improved, so I laid off of them.

Progression is a requirement in this game, and nobody can do that for free. Hopefully this thing is as good as it sounds, I'd love to see more competition out there pushing each other!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
A coupled skid is far more prone to bottoming and the fix is to adjust it right and have the right SHOCKS, with the right shocks they wont bottom. The fact that it bolts in the same location worries me just because of the past performance, but I think anytime a company like this comes out with something it is usually pretty top notch.

I have not been impressed with past t-sled skids and don't like dogging companies that try hard, but I dont want people to waste money either. After knowing what KMOD offers I wont spend money on this skid without proof of it being better but would like to see it in action so I can stop dogging on the old t-sled skids. But at least I can stay neutral on the issue because this skid may be worth it.

what all is included in the z-bros package, ( ie rails, shocks, arms????)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
WyoBoy1000... SnowCross and M-10 suspensions in addition to the Timbersled Mountain Tamer are coupled suspensions.

Bottoming out is more of an installation/setup/Adjustment issue than the idea that coupling suspensions are prone to bottoming out. In my experience, the opposite is actually true... after the point of coupling, both the front and rear shocks share the load (hence the word "coupled) and are more resistant to the bottoming out effect you are talking about.

For those that are concerned that the Timbersled skid should be upgradeable... I have the same skid as you that I bought last season and did not even get much time to ride (I did get a lot of time on my last Timbersled though.

I'm one of the cheapest bastages out there... but I am grateful that the people like Allen and his crew at Timbersled as well as other makers of everything from Turbos to skis to seat are pushing the design further and further and giving us better products to look fwd to.

All of those that bought a new 2011 M-series last season or a 2010 Dragon.. or heck even my last Makita cordless set 3 months before the Li-ion came out.... there is always something new just around the corner.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thanks for saying what I didn't,

I brought it up because of issues I have seen with other coupled skids, normally because they where built with a set valving (cheaper skids setups) which doesn't work in all conditions or weights. When all the weight is transfered to one point (rear) on the skid it can bottom, like rolling through hard woops in the trail with 3 gallons of gas on the back. Easily fixed with the proper equipment. But it rarely happens on stock skids.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
This is going to be hard to explain but I can clear up why suspension bottoming happens more so on a sled than a dirt bike.

All OEM and aftermarket snowmobile manufactures battle this same thing. It is mostly a problem on mountain sleds and is very hard to fix (almost impossible actually... but we've done it).

On an uncoupled suspension, with coil over shocks or torsion springs, like the OEM skids...The front arm is bolted directly to the rail and the back arm is mounted to the scissor arm, with this the back arm and back portion of the rail are independent from each other (no coupling). For their suspension to work properly it requires the rail to slide back to fully activate the back shock. The angle of the front arm controls the backward movement of the rails. When the front arm travels most of the way down it becomes totally level and then inverts the other way, this then slides the rail forward a little bit and this takes some stroke away from the back shock and spring, the suspension then has a split second soft spot and the suspension bottoms instead of stopping the motion. This is called a falling or digressive compression rate.

Front arm inversion is not a problem on a suspension with vertically mounted shocks like the Mtn. Tamer and K-Mod Gen-2. The problem occurs when the Back Arm travels down past vertical the back shock fights the arm being angled the wrong way and this will create the same problem. On the Timbersled Mtn Tamer, we bottom the arm on the rail before it inverts so this problem does not appear.

When the suspension is coupled the two arms work together more often to give the suspension a more progressive rate for most of its travel. When the suspension is coupled, the back arm is acting like the front arm, pushing the rail back which in return pulls the front arm up because it is also attached to the rail and this is its only moving motion.

The other thing that is happening that you cannot see is the same amount of load it takes to make this coupling action work is also going in a straight line through the tunnel (directly between the suspension bolt holes).

“Ok, now is when you need to know your geometry to understand this”….:face-icon-small-dis

There are two load forces pushing together between the bolt hole in the rail and in the tunnel. These two load forces are parallel to each other and remain this way as the suspension travels downward in one synchronized motion. If at any point this parallel moving motion gets closer together on the back than the front, the suspension will go into an extreme falling (digressive) compression rate. At this point the suspension gets soft and bottoms out much too easily.

A lot of people that have had coupling suspensions can relate to this. This is why the set-up is so hard to achieve. Good for hill climbing and bad for jumping and boondocking. Good for boondocking and jumping and bad for hill climbing.

On the new Mtn. Tamer we have adjusted the geometry to prevent this situation from happening. It is not one thing that stops this but is more like 20 small thing that have fixed the falling rate problem of a coupling skid. I can’t talk about them, its top secret...but if you read the Kit Details page on our web site you will pick up on some of them. We just put it up today. http://www.timbersled.com/2012mtntamerAbout.htm

Hope you all could understand all that. If not chime in and I will help you out.

Allen

mt2012adB.png

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Allen,

Thanks for chiming in and helping our readers understand your products a bit better.

For those that have been PM'ing me about this... and the shock packages in particular...

All the info is now up on the Timbersled.com website.

The shock packages will be

1) Z Broz Exit X0 shocks
2) EXIT X1 Rear with Clicker Remote/XO front
3) FOX FLOAT EVOL Rear, FLOAT-2 front
4) FOX FLOAT EVOL-X REAR, FLOAT-2 front.

I spoke with Allen on the phone.. He has been working with the Zollingers for this past season on refining the shock package for the new design and feels that that have hit a home run with the development of the shock packages.

He as also been working with the Fox factory engineers thru the last season to develop the calbrations and database for the new FLOAT EVOL AND EVOL X as well as the FLOAT-2 front track shocks for the ultmate in adjustablily.

In cooperation with the team at EXIT... He is also offering a shock valving guarantee that if you are not happy with the the current valving and spring combos as set up according to the infoo you provide when ordering... they will re-calibrate them at no charge.

The FOX FLOAT packages also feature a new valving setup that has never before been used in sleds... straight out out of the MX world...I'm sure that Allen can elaborate more on that later.

Lots of exciting things in the works from all the brands this year... glad that Timbersled is still pushing the envelope.!!

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
Very exciting. When will pricing and ordering information be posted?

Premium Features