• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled head 860 or any options on 08 xp 800?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Sorry for digging up an old thread. Quick question. When tigging the cylinders and adding heat have you ever experienced warping?

no..cylinder is stripped first..welded second...bored third and the top of cylinder milled fourth...in this order any "warping" is eliminated by machining after welding...BJ

B
Feb 19, 2011
first off sorry if this subject has been covered / or if im in the wrong area
i have no clue what im am doing , i have a 2008 skidoo xp 800 146, about 2 miles on brand new stock clutches, 3500 miles on stock sled. i weigh 170 lbs, i live in nebraska do some lake and field riding i also try to take 5 to 6 trips out west a year laramie/sheridan/jackson hole/steamboat/blackhills (the old ladys trip). well the last trip of the year i un loaded the sleds took mine down the hill while every one else is gasing up my sled quits wont turn over feels locked up took plugs out and put new in starts and runs about 20 foot from trails head quits agin had them do a comp test 0 lbs in one cylinder 2 in other. i have no clue whats wrong but i would like all the power i can get, but still be some what reliable , 860 kit ? i love climbing and will try anything , would like to keep everything under $4000 if possible, i ride very hard / wide open all the time , and not easy on things . i was told to take my motor to sled heads racing in minn. i hope this gives you enough info to send me in the right direction. thanks !

ps i have no idea where this posting will go after i post it hope i can find it to see your info!?!?!?

so which builder did you go with?

S
Sep 7, 2010
shr860

i have bj's SHR860 in my 08. huge upgrade and zero issues. pull a rope and go.

bj's service & knowledge is second to none as well.

1 more vote for SHR860.

just wish we could get some fn snow around here.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Not to stir the pot. But ran a shr860 and trygstad 860 last yr. Run a trygstad 860 this yr. Both have great service.. Trygstad runs harder in side by side comparison. You can actually feel it pulling harder. Trystad will pull more weight also. Both motors have been solid. 1000 miles on each no isssues. Did rebuild them both at 700 thou. Just what I have found...

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Not to stir the pot. But ran a shr860 and trygstad 860 last yr. Run a trygstad 860 this yr. Both have great service.. Trygstad runs harder in side by side comparison. You can actually feel it pulling harder. Trystad will pull more weight also. Both motors have been solid. 1000 miles on each no isssues. Did rebuild them both at 700 thou. Just what I have found...

Makes perfect sense. A factory doo engine building consultant trygstad or a guy working out of his garage, who farms out everything, and copies others.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

1) Thats news to me (most are the other way around):face-icon-small-coo...
2) Couldnt possibly be in the "set up":light:...
3) A friend bought a used XP/860, brought up to SHR speed shop :face-icon-small-win and after a couple hours and couple hundred dollars of "re-setting the base line" it runs the way it should...
4) #3 explains #1...just saying
5) TJamie/A7 call me when YOU have spent the last 20 years working/building snowmobiles for a living...10+ with YOUR own shop building products/motors that CAN/DOO run WITH/BEAT every other shop in town...THEN and only then YOUR opinion will have 1 once of merit...BJ

A
Dec 19, 2011
High five bj. If there is anyone out there with a gripe about your builds or service.. i havnt heard it yet.

I can't wait till i have the coin for a shr 880.... Ridden friends 860s (shr included) all of them were head and shoulders above stock.

And the shr 860s built by john and were set up well (following his specs) are just crazy. I can't wait to ride an 880, any published numbers on your 880 john?

what could you pull out of a twin piped race fueled bored carbed 880?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Interesting what I learn on this post, Hmm. If both builders give me permission I will post pics of both SHR ported cylinder and Trygstads cylinder, Have them both sitting here side by side. You folks can make up your our mind, ..I also have run both builders 860 and 880 motors....I will await for the builders approval.

Last edited:

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
So you could post a mild trail port job of one vs and aggressive port job on another and call that fair and unbiased?? :face-icon-small-con

Cmon! People know that engine builders can go from mild to wild, depending on application..Depending on tuning abilities the level of committment a customer makes to his builder.. clearly defines "how far" the builder will go with him. :face-icon-small-ton

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I think it would be hard to tell the difference between a mild port job and a wild port job by pictures. I would think you could tell the quality and care that when into the job by pictures.
I would think someone who has run and worked on both builders engines, would be someone to listen to.
I think you can compare all the engines you want, but if they are not all set up to their maximum potental, you are just talking. The best engine job can loose in a side by side comparison, by simply being clutched wrong. JMO

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
All I can say is swrev on here had a shr860 in his xp and it waxed all the other xp's in the crew so now we have two shr860's and one shr880 in the crew can't say anything bad about shr860 have one in the shop myself works good will be neat to see the shr860 next to the shr880 this year can already tell the 880 has more bottom end power then the 860 but should be a fun year when it snows o and there are three shr motors out of a group of 6 of us

Last edited:
F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
We have seen them all come through the door and there is a BIG difference in all of them. We all have our own ways of doing things and firmly believe in how we do it but, the consumer needs to be educated in what they are purchasing, what their intentions are with it and how much tuning they plan on doing with it. Any big bore can be set-up to run anyday on 87 octane hold it to the bars all day long with no worries or jetted on the edge for 91 octane, your specific altitude and see which one will out perform the other. The difference is in what the customer desires and is willing to do with it. Not every kit will run the same for this exact reason, because not every kit is the same for this reason. Our kits are built for your needs with the sole intention of bulding it to perform to your expectations.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
1) Thats news to me (most are the other way around):face-icon-small-coo...
2) Couldnt possibly be in the "set up":light:...
3) A friend bought a used XP/860, brought up to SHR speed shop :face-icon-small-win and after a couple hours and couple hundred dollars of "re-setting the base line" it runs the way it should...
4) #3 explains #1...just saying
5) TJamie/A7 call me when YOU have spent the last 20 years working/building snowmobiles for a living...10+ with YOUR own shop building products/motors that CAN/DOO run WITH/BEAT every other shop in town...THEN and only then YOUR opinion will have 1 once of merit...BJ

Like I said.. Don't mean to stir the pot. I just have the trygstad running better. And to be honest I can't tell the difference in porting. They both look real clean. I am running a 58 thousands squish 150lbs at 4,500 ft. On pump gas. To be honest I have spent more time tuning the trygstad motor. So I might have it dialed better than the shr. I think it comes down to personal prefrence. They are so close it's not even funny... I just like the way this one feels a tad better. I will be doing another one next summer. So lets get some miles on those 880's and 872's and let the games begin... Like I said before can't go wrong with either one. I would buy from either guy and not loose any sleep over it

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
So lets get some miles on those 880's and 872's and let the games begin...

Will do. Madmini is going down on the 872!! Heck if we blow 'em both up we'll have to ride the turbo's. haha.

Honestly, you can't go wrong w/ either builder. RKT has an awesome big bore also. Seems Kelsey got left out of the mix somehow when things got away from 860. All Skidoo riders are lucky we have affordable options to make these engines run great.

Last edited:
M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
swrev said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by scratley

So lets get some miles on those 880's and 872's and let the games begin...

Will do. Madmini is going down on the 872!! Heck if we blow 'em both up we'll have to ride the turbo's. haha.

Honestly, you can't go wrong w/ either builder. RKT has an awesome big bore also. Seems Kelsey got left out of the mix somehow when all it things got away from 860. All Skidoo riders are lucky we have affordable options to make these engines run great.

we better not blow them up i dont want to have to ride my turbo haha jk big bores just work better for where we ride, i find it hard not to love the pull on your arms only a big bore can produce down low makes me smile every time

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
we better not blow them up i dont want to have and ride my turbo haha jk big bores just work better for where we ride better i feel hard not to love the pull on your arms only a big bore can produce makes me smile everytime

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Ya same here. I just prefer the big bore. We ride trees and drainages mostly. Use to have your guy's number. Would like to talk to you about the belt drive. Pm it to me if you get the chance. You guy's know Ryan Blank?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
SHR is a copy cat. He does not port cylinders or make / cut heads all farmed out. Just a pr guy. Might as well buy from someone doing his own work. A lot of truth to trygstads site. Don't let the head salesman and his pack of cheerleaders con ya. Doesn't even own a dyno, pmed me in 03 to buy Bondi cylinders to copy. Yup a class act and a true innovator :yo:

Premium Features