• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

J

jph3

Dec 6, 2007
Edwards co
Agree with Devilmanak... I notice a big difference in just being able to ride this sled right out of the box, SIGNIFICANTLY better than I did on my 15 XM. It was a 154" as well, but I have to say... that new track is as good as anything I have ridden. I have mentally checked the 'I'm Stuck' box so many times in my first couple hundred miles, only to pull right out of it... with very little throttle - not full punch. Anyway, heres a quick vid of us riding... this was day 4 of the sled, so we were trying to keep them at bay during break in. **FYI, guy in blue coat that I am filming... this is his second day on a sled (EVER)... first time on the 850.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WxkWz1W8Tw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have mentally checked the 'I'm Stuck' box so many times in my first couple hundred miles, only to pull right out of it... with very little throttle - not full punch.
DEAD NUTS ON TARGET!!
I have also felt that exact same thought multiple times now.

R
Oct 10, 2014
Ive never rode anything longer than 155. Picking up new 165 this afternoon. the sled is less than 6" longer overall than the 154. Some guys saying the 165 is a bit more sluggish or not as fun. Is it really that much of a difference? I know its planted a bit more, but is it like riding around on a tractor?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Ive never rode anything longer than 155. Picking up new 165 this afternoon. the sled is less than 6" longer overall than the 154. Some guys saying the 165 is a bit more sluggish or not as fun. Is it really that much of a difference? I know its planted a bit more, but is it like riding around on a tractor?

It's a little slower reacting but less effort than my xm. The 154 is definitely quicker and more of a handful but I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep the 65 or trade to a 54. I'm picking up a 154x3 next week for a friend (he lives in ND) and he wanted me to get it on the snow to see if I like it better so by next weekend I'll know for sure which one I'm going with.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah

I wouldn't trade my 165" for any sled out there. This sled has made riding more fun than I ever thought it could be. The 165, just pulls you out of places you should have been stuck. It handles amazing, and if your ever riding deep bottomless snow, you'll be glad you have the longer track.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And when you do actually get stuck all it takes is a ski pull and it just walks right out. You don't have to spin the track to get it moving.
Oh, I managed to bury her at Tog pretty well a couple times.
This whole light weight 2 stroke thing is still taking me some time to get used to!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If it is, I sure haven't notices it!.
But then I bought 3 of the 165's and have not ridden a 154 yet

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Got out on my 850 for the first time today, just road riding with my daughter but still fun. She loves how easily it wheelies..lol. I'll have a better review when I can get out on my own.

I am sure if you get out on wed or thur on that machine and go up to the roost you will have the deep pow to try her out in but I have to wait til thur or sat to ride mine again I see it is dumping at c/m right now.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Christopher, I am surprised that out of the 3 sleds you got, that one of them wasn't a 154. Any reasoning to why you went for all 165's?

Ace

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Swing a leg over a 154 if you have the chance
I am looking forward to go for a ride with my friend who has a new 165,everyone I ride with G4s is on 154" tracks so I have not had my own comparison.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Swing a leg over a 154 if you have the chance
I am looking forward to go for a ride with my friend who has a new 165,everyone I ride with G4s is on 154" tracks so I have not had my own comparison.
First chance I get I will be more than happy to make the comparison!

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I am not brand loyal...

I got the oppertunity the other day to go riding in some of the best snow we have had in along time. in our group was a new Axys 163x3, a Summit X 850 165x3, and a Mountain Cat 162x3. All of these sled were new, and not past break in. All are great performers, and none disapoint, but one stood out to me. The mountain cat is by far the heaviest, but feels the lightest. The new dropped chain case makes it get on top the snow with ease, and the 8 tooth driver and gearing make it feel like the clutch engages from an idle, and has more usable power than previou years. It will side hill for miles at any speed, and feels more nimble than the Axys. Tree riding on steep terrain will make you smile, it will out climb either of the other two (in the snow we were in), and will take you back to the trailer on a whooped out trail like you're in a Cadillac! For those who think I'm being bias...the Summit X 850 in the group is mine...and it's for sale...with hopes I can get my hands on a 17 Mountain Cat before the season is over. If not, I'm sure I'll get by with the Doo 850.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That's funny you day that because I rode my buddy's 17 cat and I thought it felt like a sluggish turd compared to my wife's 850. The 850 is the only sled I've rode this year. The bottom end throttle response is so much better on the 850 and just quicker to respond in the handling department. I thought the cat needs flashed because the thing seems rich down low. Now I liked the 14 when I rode it. But was in love on the 17. I think it is just different and my only 2 rides were on the 850 and I only rode the cat for 15 minutes. I have a turboed axys but haven't taken it out.
Another guy I rode with has a 17 cat and he took her 850 for a spin and I kind of think he wished he had an 850. I'm not sure if his is a 162. My buddy's, that i rode, is a 153. He might trade you if you are serious. Pm me if serious.

Premium Features