• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

show me the ropes in the Tahoe area ?

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
could some of the experts chime in here....... is it better to ride with the roll bar link installed or removed ?
i'm not sure which is easier, and which is better. i keep changing my mind. i'm starting to think, it's probably better installed, and removing it is just a crutch.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Sway bar link ? The crutch is having it linked. Its there to plant the other ski in tight fast trail riding and just in general.
On the trail mostly leave it linked, on the pow unhook and float. On buck board/ washed out trails probably would be better to
unhook. Dropping off a cornice or whatever unbalanced to one ski, kinda better to be hooked. Hitting off camber spines to air, better to be unhooked otherwise the bars will rip out of your hands just as you think everything going great .

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
yeah, i meant the sway bar link. hmmm. i had hoped you'd say it's better hooked up all the way around because on the trails it's a bit nasty without it linked. it's not impossible, but i do find i have to slow down more for the turns. i've been trying to ride everywhere without the link, maybe i have to pop it on/off occasionally. Thx for the info, zilla

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
i'm going to put the suspension changes right next to the head gasket fix it products and transmission mystery oil fixes.

meaning that all of the fixes, products, and youtube videos.....are not really a solution for ****ty riding. i hate being a novice.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Me and a buddy are heading to Tahoe on Tuesday for the week, staying in Incline. Anybody around and want to show a couple guys around? We are very experienced, got all the gear. We're on snowbikes.

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
Ryan and I are tentatively riding hope valley on monday, but i don't know if the roads will be open, and the weather is looking iffy.

from incline, i suppose most people ride Mt Rose, LTS, or Gold Lake.

here's a gold lake ride, kind of shows the area: https://bnc.lt/RFZm/CUoFhUhJYnb
unfortunately, i'm no trail expert, and i'm pretty sure you guys will want to ride stuff i can't yet ride.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
If u guys want to hit Yuba Pass tmrw, I'll show u around. Usually no road controls up there from 70. Places to avoid during storms of any kind due to shutting down the road or controls. Highway 80 corridor, highway 88 and Mt. Rose highway.

News Years Day I drove to ride Sonora Pass. Got past Walker, got turned around because of a slide blocking 395 in the canyon. Went back to Gardnerville, headed to Blue Lakes instead. Got turned around in CA because of multiple accidents at Woodfords. Drove over 4 hours that day to try and ride and nothing. It sucks!

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
thx Koolaid. You're right, between the snow/roads and the holiday, certain areas are bound to be **** shows or at least very slow. i just looked at some traffic cams...took many seconds to decide whether the camera was working or not. ha.

Yuba is sure a better option for Ryan coming out of Sac. I'm in Stateline. So, if he can't or doesn't want to make it to Hope valley, they he should ride with you in Yuba. As for me, i'm at the top of Kingsbury, so going via Minden to Hope isn't usually a problem. Yuba looks like just asking for trouble from my direction. i'm ok whichever way Ryan wants to go, i have another sport that can start shortly, so LMK.

what do you think about your plans Ryan ? you make the call.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
If u guys want to hit Yuba Pass tmrw, I'll show u around. Usually no road controls up there from 70. Places to avoid during storms of any kind due to shutting down the road or controls. Highway 80 corridor, highway 88 and Mt. Rose highway.

News Years Day I drove to ride Sonora Pass. Got past Walker, got turned around because of a slide blocking 395 in the canyon. Went back to Gardnerville, headed to Blue Lakes instead. Got turned around in CA because of multiple accidents at Woodfords. Drove over 4 hours that day to try and ride and nothing. It sucks!
Not gonna be there until Tuesday night, ready to ride Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

S
Based on the roads now, incoming weather tomorrow early, and the holiday weekend (which I forgot about until I just read this thread), I'll hold off riding tomorrow. I leave for West Yellowstone next Sat, so I better get in some work days tomorrow and Tues. Last time I made the trip up to Tahoe in weather, I spent 4 hours driving up, 2.5 hours sitting still in traffic in town, and another 4 hours home...a lot of driving for zero miles on the sled. It will be a long season, and my judgment tells me to sit it out tomorrow as much as I want to ride.

Premium Features