• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should Polaris cover "brake issue?"

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Attached is why, I'm guessing, there is a brake issue.

I saw this vid on FB reels, snapped a pic; guy was constantly doing a wheelie and had his finger on the brake the entire time. In a vehicle, if you have your foot on the brake all the time and have an issue, it's not going to be covered under warranty.

So, should Polaris cover this so called brake issue? Or just deny warranty due to mis use or abuse?

Really, what do you expect will happen when you ride the brake?

brake.jpg

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
You should have your finger on the brake at all times. It doesnt mean you are applying the brake. Also ive seen some say that the throw on the new master cylinder is too short. Very little pressure and its applying the brake unlike the 21 and older sleds

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The lever design and thr fact thst at the fsr tip of the lever its maybe 1/2" of travel from released to full lock. Doesn't take but
A tiny bit of snow And ice to get packed behind the tiny goofy tabs on thr plunger end to cause the brag to start dragging.

I ride heavy on the brake on all axys sleds (new pads every 1k miles) and never had issues in over 10k combined miles on thr 5 i had. I distinctly remeber having to pry my matryxs lever back open last year a few times to snap thee ice out as the light was staying on when I had fingers off thr lever. It's so sensitive thst the tiniest thing is going to cause trouble.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Dirt bike, mtn bike and my sled. There is alway a finger on the brake. I’m one in millions that do the same and have since the creation of motorsports with hand levers?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Maybe there should be a class action lawsuit against Burandt, since he forces all of his students to ride with a finger on the brake. Hee, hee, jk.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I do NOT always ride with a finger on the brake. I've found that, especially with the characteristics of the Poo sleds, it's not necessary. I think it can be an effective teaching tool for some, but I also think that if you're braking constantly, you may be overriding the sled. However, there are certain gnarly situations where finger on the brake is unavoidable. For Doo and Cat sleds, it's a different story.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Maybe there should be a class action lawsuit against Burandt, since he forces all of his students to ride with a finger on the brake. Hee, hee, jk.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I do NOT always ride with a finger on the brake. I've found that, especially with the characteristics of the Poo sleds, it's not necessary. I think it can be an effective teaching tool for some, but I also think that if you're braking constantly, you may be overriding the sled. However, there are certain gnarly situations where finger on the brake is unavoidable. For Doo and Cat sleds, it's a different story.

I can’t speak for Doo characteristics, but I can for Cat. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying about not needing to brake as much based on the characteristics.
I’ve got both sleds and the ride characteristics are pretty similar. Certain things ARE different but not related to braking imo

But I will agree with others on this that there is very little play in the lever before engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I installed the skinz heated adjustable brake lever on my matryx and at first with that I could never even get the parking brake to latch. I ground 35 thousandths off of the lever where it pushes on the master cylinder. Now I have a little over an inch of travel on the tip of lever from released to brake applied. Never had any issues last season. So if the brakes are dragging causing heat could be just as simple as the lever tab at the master cylinder is too long. Time will tell when they release the rest of the details on the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i‘ve covered the brake for 20-25 years with out issue.
the Matryx didnt have enough free trace for me. I pulled a little fluid out before the first ride and it is better. Thought it was just bled incorrectly from the factory.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I think the problem is in part the brake lever design. If you ever put a new brake lever on, you have to depress the master cylinder piston quite a bit to get the lever pivot bolt through the hole. As we’ve seen, on a lot of new Matryx sleds the brake has almost no throw and the pads are constantly having pressure applied. As someone mentioned above, if you take .030” (or so) off where the lever contacts the piston I think what would fix it.

Premium Features