• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shopping for a snowmobile

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok - no new artic cat sleds will be delivered at my dealer for 2022. I was SUPPOSED to get a m8 mountain cat this week but won't.
SO, iam driving 30 miles to look at a yamaha mountain max. I'll really look it over and take lots of pictures so you cat guys can tell me yeah or neigh!? Is there any specific thi g I should take a picture of? Ok it's either the new yamaha or back to used market lpl. Thanks

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh you dirty so and so lol! You got the 165!!! ****e!!! Lol! Well crap, should I bother with the 155? I know at least one guy said don't buy the 154 alpha as a begginer? For some reason I just don't want a skidoo or a polaris (have zero real reasons) so....there's a 165 in Ronan lol or I think Missoula. Do you have to take a snowmobile to the exact dealership you bought from for support and warranty or just a brand name dealership? Thanks !!

C
Mar 15, 2018
I know at least one guy said don't buy the 154 alpha as a begginer?
I would tend to agree with that (about buying an alpha for a beginner) regardless of track length. A buddy of mine that is VERY experienced bought an alpha and it took him a long while to get on to how to ride it. Said that he was always "over Riding" it. Now, perhaps a noob will have less issues as they are not USED to something else but my understanding is that the alpha can be a handful. Ideally it would be nice if you could rent one of each for a day and try them out to see which one you get along with best. They are ALL good machines but they all ride differently so it is not like you will be buying a POS with one brand. Just get what feels right to you and the only way to know that is to spend a day or so on each.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My girls prefer the alpha because of how EASY it is to ride. They have the option of a twin rail that sits in the trailer.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ha! Dang kids ride better than me! I bet they'd love this little blast. They'd be doing bow ties I bet . Ok well I'll go look for fun at the 155. Iam 5'5" 145 wet so does that make a difference with track length from 155 to 165? The blast is 146 and is way easier than my 600 141 lol. Yahaha

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
They’ve ridden a lot of miles and a lot of different sleds. They always jump for the alphas when they have a choice. Got my 11 year old daughter into a ravine two years ago that she was really struggling on a m6000 she loved. Finally let her hop on my alpha and she not only made it out, she dropped back in and played in and out for an hour. I played on the m6000 the rest of that day.

Keep riding, you’ll get it.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Oh you dirty so and so lol! You got the 165!!! ****e!!! Lol! Well crap, should I bother with the 155? I know at least one guy said don't buy the 154 alpha as a begginer? For some reason I just don't want a skidoo or a polaris (have zero real reasons) so....there's a 165 in Ronan lol or I think Missoula. Do you have to take a snowmobile to the exact dealership you bought from for support and warranty or just a brand name dealership? Thanks !!
Wayne is a buddy of mine. I needed something until my boost comes. I think you're better off on a 165 but 154 is probably ok if setup proper. I've had both. Wanted the longer one because i already have a kaos boost that will be plenty rowdy. You don't have to go to same dealership. Just have more pull if you bought it there. Get 165 if you can. If not grab a 154 from Wayne. You will be fine. You can learn. 154s are more fun.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
For your size the 154 will be fantastic. Better all around, will only lack when super deep. Doesn’t seem to be a current problem.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok so last few dumb questions, will the 154 want to wheelie all the time and be super darty and launchy feeling??? Iam not to scared but wanna try and have a friendly sled to learn on without being kinda scared of the power lol. Thanks

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
More so than the 165 but not like what you’ve been on.

They only go as fast as you tell them to.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
D9129C99-DB0A-4277-9174-7C1E5BF673D6.jpeg

This is my ferocious beast that tames her alpha. Right now she’s in art class in 7th grade. Nothin special for size or strength, but understands throttle control.
Taught two things.
Throttle lifts, Brake drops.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ok so last few dumb questions, will the 154 want to wheelie all the time and be super darty and launchy feeling??? Iam not to scared but wanna try and have a friendly sled to learn on without being kinda scared of the power lol. Thanks
You will be fine. They are just quicker handling. More unforgiving in deeper snow. Quicker toift front end. Learning to ride and adjusting suspension will go a long ways. They are actually more fun than a 165 but actually the alpha is fun in either model where some others wean down the fun factor the longer you go. Million times better than what you have been riding. I was one that told you to get a 165 in an alpha. I do think if there was a choice that's better but not end of the world. Get the 154 an enjoy.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I don't have much experience to share, like you I'm pretty new to the sport. But I'd say don't be afraid of the 800.

I bought my first sled only a few years ago, also a 600. This season I upgraded to an 850 and am loving it. Jumping on that 600 a complete noob scared me more in it's first few weeks than this 850 has (yet)... like @IDspud says, it's all about throttle control. Riding the 600, I assume you've developed some sense of it, when and how to use it. That'll transfer right over. I find the bigger motor actually a little more forgiving in that regard, with a lot more useable bottom end and more torque. But when you need it, that top end pulls hard, and it's damn fun! You'll find yourself "needing" to open up that 800 more than you expect.

Good luck!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Also, don’t hurt yourself trying to duplicate her footwork in that pic.
She’s just been caught on camera by her brother trying to steal my dew out of the hood bag.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Well ok then ! I just secured the 154 x 2 6 yamaha from my buddy Wayne. HOPEFULLY it doesn't scare the shi@ outa me or I'll be crying crocodile tears!!! I'll post a picture of me doing a bow tie this weekend. Thanks for all the help!! Hopefully this will be a good match and I won't buy another for a couple years!

Premium Features