• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shift assist a good thing or a bad thing. After running it, I'm leaning toward Bad.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Thats what I was looking for but I think I can find it for less than $35 shipped.

http://www.hiperf.com/cgi-bin/sh000...&PN=Clutch_Springs.html#a200_2d903#a200_2d903

If you read the directions it says that each washer will add 50 rpms to your engagement. But that is only if you add washers to the glide washers.....Each kit comes with 5 washers, 2 glide washers(one for each side of the spring) that have some slick **** on them, and the other 3 will add 50 rpms engagement each if you wish to use them as a tunning aid.

Last edited:
D
Nov 28, 2007
The heat on my clutches is always ridiculous, to the point of instant burn. I do put hard pulls on, from what I remember when I let of and get on it there isn't much change in overall T/S, but I am very quick to get transfer and traction which seems to pull on the motor. My spring has always bound/worn paint off even after opening the cup. The weights have wear marks from the rollers the full shift. Yet I have never seen top speed, it looks like the primary has been at full shift more than a few times. Every time a belt goes it leaves marks like it just climbed over the top. I'm guessing somewhere along the way, I manage to get grip which pulls the motor out of alignment and locks up the shift, also when its pulling the motor back lets the primary shift all the way out, but rather than the secondary catching up it just binds. I have ran the MTX weights at slp's recommended weight, less weight, 4 diff primary springs, MDS weights, stock weight, ground stock weights, a 44/36r helix, a 42/36r helix, stock helix. Aligned clutches many times,

Some sleds need the motor moved even from 05. I am betting yours is one of them. Let me try to find some numbers in my files here on it.

If your seeing this heat you have to move the secondary in. Throw that offset bar in a drawer and just move the secondary in. The belt is getting so hot that it is really flipping over in the clutches then popping.

Trust me on this.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Ok then how are my weights showing full shift when I have never reached a speed that should allow a full shift. When I had to replace the pto motor mount at 900miles from torn mounts and keep breaking the bolts on the extra torque arm, I installed it on the mag side running horizontal to the bottom of the motor. I know there is some serious movement, like I said I can get real good tranfer and load the drive system hard. I will be adding more mounts just to see what happens, but the orange spring and S/A still makes me wonder. Another thing I have always wondered is how a m7 can pull a 36* helix and a 200hp rated m1000 still has a 36* helix, but it wont pull more (at elevation) at least not with the same springs?????

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2007
If your motor is moving around, there is no way to get the clutching right. Get the motor mount issue solved then work on clutching.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If your motor is moving around, there is no way to get the clutching right. Get the motor mount issue solved then work on clutching.

Thanks holmes, But if the clutching isn't right it can cause extra motor movement and it still doesn't make sense of the other m1000 that doesn't have the issue and mine does?????

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Thanks holmes, But if the clutching isn't right it can cause extra motor movement and it still doesn't make sense of the other m1000 that doesn't have the issue and mine does?????

I'll throw this out for thought. It probably won't have anything to do with your sled.

I had a Polaris 05 900, remember how they blew belts.
After all my mods to he sled, I could get a full season out of a 080 belt but would eat cross members. I still would not blow or wear a belt even with a broken cross member.:confused:
I'm guessing flex in my bulkhead was causing the problem.

So my point is a properly aligned motor and good clutching does not mean you may not have other problems.

And after 4500 miles I fixed my cross member problem by buying a Cat:face-icon-small-coo

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
I found the stock orange spring to be more than I needed for my M8. So, is there a happy medium between the AC white and the AC orange?

I have been wondering about the secondary spring as well. Has anyone tried only using one of the black plastic washers on top of the spring instead of using both of them? The Goodwin blue sounds like an option worth exploring as well.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Ok then how are my weights showing full shift when I have never reached a speed that should allow a full shift. When I had to replace the pto motor mount at 900miles from torn mounts and keep breaking the bolts on the extra torque arm, I installed it on the mag side running horizontal to the bottom of the motor. I know there is some serious movement, like I said I can get real good tranfer and load the drive system hard. I will be adding more mounts just to see what happens, but the orange spring and S/A still makes me wonder. Another thing I have always wondered is how a m7 can pull a 36* helix and a 200hp rated m1000 still has a 36* helix, but it wont pull more (at elevation) at least not with the same springs?????

To find where you would be at full shift pull a fly weight put black magic marker on the weight where the roller runs. Put the weight back into the clutch. With out the spring in the clutch close it then hold the weight on the roller and spin the roller. This will remove some of the marker and show you where full shift is.

With all being good in the sled you then have an idea where you would like to be. If you like 1-1 find your spot on the weight at 1-1 and you will see where your getting to. Then move the mass center line of the weight to where you would like to be at. Ta da sled that pulls and dose what you want.

Take a look at the pictures attached.

The dark blue spring is now the Doo RER black/double violet. You need to run a hole saw over the inner snout of the helix so the inner diameter of the spring will fit over it. Two cuts with a hole saw will make clearance.

Don.

EDIT: on the M1000 and the smaller M's running the same helix and spring. This can be done because the torque feed back from the track from different gears and power the sled makes allows the same helix spring combo.

IMG_1790.jpg IMG_1783.jpg

Last edited:

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
griff were did you get your goodwin blue spring and do you have a part # I look and the onlyt blue spring I could find was really low, also has anyone tried the h5 speedwerx springs in a stock m8

Goodwin Performance, part #420-543 - GP DK Blue, I believe they discontinued it.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I'm having a hard time getting my M8 to run proper rpm at 2000' elevation. I think the shift assist might be contributing to this.

I've tried the cat yellow/white, black/orange, orange/white, and slp blue/pink (140-340) and the only time I could get it to hold over 8000 rpm was with 68 gram weights. And it just didn't feel strong at all, and over reved lots when I was on and off the throttle. I'm at 2000' elevation. I had 71.5's in with the b/p only held 7950, It shifted up and grabbed 8150 a couple times and really pulled, so I tried 70's. No change. Never did hold over 8000.

My brothers 2011 M8 stock clutching runs great. I've tried the exact same set-up I just have the shift assist and it just doesn't work. I'm going to try taking it out and see what happens.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Something sounds wierd there Destroyer. Mine pulled 8000 RPM at 7000' last year running a D&D white and 73.75g weights (with a pipe and intake).

D
Nov 28, 2007
Goodwin Performance, part #420-543 - GP DK Blue, I believe they discontinued it.

I know it is now the Doo RER black/double violet if your looking for it. I can post the part number if you need.

I'm having a hard time getting my M8 to run proper rpm at 2000' elevation. I think the shift assist might be contributing to this.

I've tried the cat yellow/white, black/orange, orange/white, and slp blue/pink (140-340) and the only time I could get it to hold over 8000 rpm was with 68 gram weights. And it just didn't feel strong at all, and over reved lots when I was on and off the throttle. I'm at 2000' elevation. I had 71.5's in with the b/p only held 7950, It shifted up and grabbed 8150 a couple times and really pulled, so I tried 70's. No change. Never did hold over 8000.

My brothers 2011 M8 stock clutching runs great. I've tried the exact same set-up I just have the shift assist and it just doesn't work. I'm going to try taking it out and see what happens.

Destroyer, Have you got your helix dowel pined? IF not don't blame the shift assist just yet. You need to mic the bearing race that the inner sheave slides on. Some are worn elongated and oval. Get a new bearing from cat. Put it into the sheave first. Clean up the bearing race so it is true and level all the way across again. The inner part of this bearing will be very very tight and will not just let you replace the bearing and slide it on the clutch. The ID of the bearing after installed will need to be milled to fit the new surface of the bearing race. Fit is nice and snug so some break in will be needed.

Now you see the extra holes from day one on these clutches between the helix bolts. The very first generation of these clutches on the 2004 T660 Turbo touring had dowel pins. The gold ring needs holes drilled in it so the pins can pass through it. The pins need to be put into the center hole of the three holes that hold the helix in. I will post the size of the pins with the spring part number above.
NEVER RUN THIS CLUTCH WITH OUT THIS GOLD RING OR FLAT WASHER UNDER THE HELIX. THE BEARING WILL MOVE OUT OF ITS PLACE AND INNER SHEAVE WILL GAUL THE BEARING RACE. THE SECONDARY WILL BE JUNK.

You drill the helix so the pins are nice and tight and leave .25" out of the helix. These pins then will make sure that your bearings ( one in the helix end and one in inner sheave ) line up perfectly. With out this if your inner bearing race is worn all the play can be put to one side of the bearing. This can be the case for all torsion systems as well if spring and helix installed at same time. Just set one bolt into the hole and see the play that is there. All that play can be placed to one side.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4271760865985963098#

Imagine how off your sheaves can be if the inner sheave is not square with the bearings.

Check this out first.

Don.

goldring.jpg IMG_0108.jpg

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
This might sound stupid, mainly because it is severely over looked, but clutching and rpm does not always have to do with the clutch components. You can severely run down rpm and track speed with a track that is too tight, or a few bad skid bearings.

The other thing, and probably the the most influential part this has not been spoken about on this thread is the belt and proper setup. Belt deflection and belt to sheave. Looking at the clutch faces and reading what I call belt bands on the faces really tells you a story about where, when and how your shift is starting, stalling and stopping. Post a couple pics of your clutches and it will give the gurus a little more to go off of.

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I know it is now the Doo RER black/double violet if your looking for it. I can post the part number if you need.

Destroyer, Have you got your helix dowel pined? IF not don't blame the shift assist just yet. You need to mic the bearing race that the inner sheave slides on. Some are worn elongated and oval. Get a new bearing from cat. Put it into the sheave first. Clean up the bearing race so it is true and level all the way across again. The inner part of this bearing will be very very tight and will not just let you replace the bearing and slide it on the clutch. The ID of the bearing after installed will need to be milled to fit the new surface of the bearing race. Fit is nice and snug so some break in will be needed.

Now you see the extra holes from day one on these clutches between the helix bolts. The very first generation of these clutches on the 2004 T660 Turbo touring had dowel pins. The gold ring needs holes drilled in it so the pins can pass through it. The pins need to be put into the center hole of the three holes that hold the helix in. I will post the size of the pins with the spring part number above.
NEVER RUN THIS CLUTCH WITH OUT THIS GOLD RING OR FLAT WASHER UNDER THE HELIX. THE BEARING WILL MOVE OUT OF ITS PLACE AND INNER SHEAVE WILL GAUL THE BEARING RACE. THE SECONDARY WILL BE JUNK.

You drill the helix so the pins are nice and tight and leave .25" out of the helix. These pins then will make sure that your bearings ( one in the helix end and one in inner sheave ) line up perfectly. With out this if your inner bearing race is worn all the play can be put to one side of the bearing. This can be the case for all torsion systems as well if spring and helix installed at same time. Just set one bolt into the hole and see the play that is there. All that play can be placed to one side.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4271760865985963098#

Imagine how off your sheaves can be if the inner sheave is not square with the bearings.

Check this out first.

Don.

Hey, thanks for the info. I also assume that my 6203 bearing might be in pieces. This would probably rob some RPM as well. It's a 2010 with 850 miles. I just took a 2008 diamond drive apart and the 6203 bearing failed. The sled ran fine. There's no way to tell if these bearings are shot without pulling the gearcase apart.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've done all the basics over and over again, other than the dd bearing, but there is no metal in the oil yet. I removed a plastic washer and rpm was a better, but there was a little less backshift. How do you know to drill in the dowlls in the right spot and does just the two bolts left hold up.

Last edited:
A

AK Brian

Jan 19, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
WYOBOY-- How many extra motor mounts are you running?? I have a 2009 M1000 with all of the SLP mods. Ever since I added the extra HP I have been shredding belts (lots of heat). I ride @ 0-5000 ft and did all of the clutching mods I could think of and nothing worked. I agree that with the big track and the extra HP I will need to fix the movement before I can get the clutching dialed in. I hope.

I have added 1 mount and one torque stop suggested by Shane @ Twisted Turbo. I noticed both of the rear mounts were ripped in the plate behind the clutches and I have been trying to find replacements but AC does not stock any longer they are making me buy the whole plate. Once this is done I should have the movement fixed and than I will concentrate on clutching again. I would like to stay in contact with you on your outcome and I will keep you posted on mine. The plate is 3 weeks back ordered but I will let you know when I get it out again.

If you have any other suggestions I am over looking please let me know. I have been pulling my hair out with this damn sled. Thanks for this thread and if you want to bounce anything off me I can email you my number. Sorry about the rambling:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features