• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Schooled 6... disappointing.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I think one reason that the last 2 schooled videos weren't as good as the first ones is that Bret was barely in the last 2. Bret is an amazing rider AND a great teacher. I think Bret would be a lot of fun to ride with, if I could keep up with him.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I think one reason that the last 2 schooled videos weren't as good as the first ones is that Bret was barely in the last 2. Bret is an amazing rider AND a great teacher. I think Bret would be a lot of fun to ride with, if I could keep up with him.

Agreed. After talking to both Bret and Chris at the Denver Snow Show, I feel Bret is more personable and easier to get along with. Chris had the "I'm the best it doesn't matter what you say I just want your money" type of attitude it seemed like. Out of all the clinics, I would go to Matt Entz's just for the fact that he's down to earth and easy to get along with.

That being said, I don't see myself buying anymore schooled videos. Maybe Boondockers and 509. But sick of seeing the same footage from just a different camera angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
The boondockers movies are always fun to watch. Definitely worth the money imo. Plus Dan and those guys are just good dudes.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

If it's that bad maybe they should change the name to Fooled 6.:noidea:
I agree with others, 509.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I agree with everyone's thoughts, the first 4 were solid, the 5th was watchable and the 6th was an advertisement with a decent soundtrack. Every year I look forward to the series and learning new backcountry skills but this will probably be my last purchase of schooled. Of course as the series has progressed there are less basic tips to give but that doesn't by any means that there's not a ton more that can be covered! I look forward to Brett putting out his own! Does anyone know the name of it or release date?

If you were to request tips for the next movie what would they be???

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I think it would help to have a novice rider and have the Pro explain and demo, then let the novice do it and screw up and get coached how to get it right. This way you can see what not to do as well.
Bret had a segment like this with the young kid in Schooled 1, I think.

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
after sledfilm, I think I liked boondockers best. 509 even disappointed a bit, awesome footage as always but I thought last years was better. Last years slednecks is the one I find myself watching over and over,im hoping theyll come out swinging again this year.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Dirty Steve has it right. It would be great to see these fantastic riders/teachers take the average rider on the average sled and run drills on different moves and techniques. Showing the failure and the correction.

For me, and I would think a great many other basic or newer riders it would be a great learning tool. I know my old fat azZ could use some not so advanced lessons on some not so highly advanced sleds.

just my opinion.

Nooby

J
Jul 10, 2010
Alaska
Different videos appeal to different people. Some like tree riding:face-icon-small-hap and some like ramps or open powder. I think there are really only so many techniques you can teach via video. Then it's just time to get out there and apply them. Regardless I still enjoy watching excellent riders show there stuff. I don't know all the riders from these video's, but I can tell you that Burandt is a good family oriented guy who is great to be around and rides far better than anything you see in a video. The video's don't normally take place where it gets nasty. Sahen and Ryan are great guys as well. It is just discouraging to see people bad mouth guys who are really good for the sport that we are all passionate about.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
It is just discouraging to see people bad mouth guys who are really good for the sport that we are all passionate about.

50+ posts on this thread and all but one are speaking to the merits or lack there of , of Schooled 6 and how it met or did not meet ones expectations of content for the Schooled series. My posts and most others heap praise on Burandt, Skinner and gang as it pertains to their skill and riding footage.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
50+ posts on this thread and all but one are speaking to the merits or lack there of , of Schooled 6 and how it met or did not meet ones expectations of content for the Schooled series. My posts and most others heap praise on Burandt, Skinner and gang as it pertains to their skill and riding footage.

IMO this thread was about the dissapointment that is schooled 6, it has nothing do do with Burandt skill, we all know he is one of the most talented riders in the bizz! It is about his attitude as a sledder, that has turned so many agaist his moives. Like I stated before he needs to work on his people skills in a big way!! Because his "Im to good for you" attitude is getting old! IMO it will come to bite him, I think it already has with the whole burandt tv, and the money he wants for that. He got alot of back lash from it. He needs to step back and remember what has put him where he is today, and that is people like everyone of you.
He has turned schooled into a video advertisment for 90 minutes, and a bash on the rider if you dont ride a polaris or dont buy the gear and parts he promotes. The Burandt train was fun for the first couple of rides, even when he was on Cat I watch and followed him. But the Train he enginers now is a flipping joke. No one in there right mind would put up with someone in there riding group if they had this attitude. Plus there are so many others with clinics and tour based companys that are way more consumer friendly! Along with more bang for your buck, ones that teach you and help you. Not bash you and have the attitude of stand back a watch how great I am. Which we all know an reconize, he needs to put that to work for the people that has put him where he is.
I will refuse to be sucked in by all his crap!
IMO I think you will see schooled fall off the map if he does not change his crappy attitude. Or maybe people like to pay big money to take a slap in the face. If so Ill help you out and do it for half price.
as far as there footage, well tilting the camera to make it look steeper is bumb.. in some sences. IMO I think people want to see real footage.
All just my thoughts, based off of what I have seen. which means zero.

Oh one more thing while im pissing an monning!! It is everyone of you that make this industry go around, not the elite that get the sleds given to them. YOu the customer that buys things at retail! Without the coustomer there is no product!

But who am I kidding, I have seen many famous people that have become douche bags !!!

Last edited:
J
Jul 10, 2010
Alaska
I agree that no one could really argue with the merits of the way these guys ride. There are certainly some things that I would like to see in videos, that I don't always get to see (personal taste), and I do sometimes get tired of the same things. I actually do like some product review so I can get a feel for what is out there. I know that anyone who is sponsored will have a certain view, but I think they still reveal valuable information.
As for the attitude thing, I can't speak for what my impression would be if I met chris one time at a show, but I can tell you after riding with him for the last 5 years that he is typically a class act. I am certain that many of the other guys who do the clinics and such are awesome as well. As for schooled 7, I don't think you are going to have to worry about that.
I think it is great that we can discuss our opinions and it not surprising that they often differ because that type of passion is what drives us in what we do and how we force this sport to progress.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I can be a bit harsh at times, I really don't mean any disrespect. But I have spoke to people that have been to BBCA and they are not impressed to say the least.
The fact The man can do some fantastic amazing things with a snowmobile makes it all the more displeasing for him to have bad PR. For someone to come out and say in a major film, "that most people cant ride a pro to its capability" or "if you want to be a better rider ditch your sled and get a polaris" well that is just not a good Icon for a sport. It may be true but come on lets be real, Burandt himself runs out of talent himself. If you get stuck your not riding the sled to its potential. Ive seen him stuck, we all get stuck.
He has alot to offer the sport, from the back door to the kitchen sink. So why the visible attitude?
I thought his early movies had alot to offer, but has sponsors pushed him in to an advertising path with his schooled series?
I have seen the industry change in my short life, and cant say its all good. It seems to be all about the money, instead of help your friend, and be a role model. That right there is a class act !
Like others have stated, we want to see real teachings is these video's. We want to see Burandt on an average sled teaching skills and doing what he does. Not bashing others, and walking around like he is the best thing since sliced bread. Even though he may be!! Haahahaa.. Maybe split it up into different sections. We all love to see big HP sleds do tricks, but lets face it there are not many of us that have those kinds of sleds, let alone those skills. So after several years I would be safe to say that alot of folks are tired of seeing the same old trail, it gets ruff and before long we wont go down that road anymoe.

So What would a better schooled video look like to us that are a little disappointed in them?

J
Jul 10, 2010
Alaska
Suitcase. I am sure sometimes riders feel pressure from sponsors to push their products and these guys who ride for a living only have so many opportunities to make a long term living. No company 401k or pension. Many people think they are all rich and can do what ever they want. In some cases that may be true but often it could not be further from the truth. They try to make the best business decisions that they can. I think the constructive feedback on the videos is very helpful and that they could learn from that feedback to give the consumer what they really want. That is good for everyone.

I also think that more techniques on stock sleds would be awesome so guys could see what a stock pro or other brands are really capable of. I know what is possible because I have seen said rider go places on a stocker that entire groups of turbo's were never able to get. That being said, I don't have the inside track or anything, but the reason I don't think you will be disappointed with another Schooled video is because I don't think there will be one. Things change and people move on sometimes.

I know I will be pushing for some in-depth technical training type videos. Those would be very useful to many. From reading on Snowest anyway, it sound like Rasmussen will be filling that void soon enough.

I know some people are not into Burandtv, but that will also contain much of that technical riding training and other things that snowmobilers like.

Rob

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I was also disappointed in 6. It was like Marsh just threw something together, and I do not think there will be a 7 either.

Bowtie maneuver? Looks more like a ribbon, like the breast cancer awareness ribbon, than a bowtie. None the less, I will never be able to do it. LOL.

Burandt TV? LMAO, ah no.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
BAMF, that's funny now!! I'm an old white haired crippled piece of work that tries to ride and can't stand to watch tree riding. Did I hit a nerve??? Dan Gardiners videos=Awesome
Most others in trees=Frisbees

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
At least 5 had a sweet segment of Bret comparing riding on one ski to riding a bicycle, my wife actually "got it" after watching that segment and can now hold a side hill and carve sweet turns.

Premium Features