• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rock chip trailer tips

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Diamond plate on the front of the trailer.
Mud flaps are also a good alternative. There are some that are designed kind of like rubber mesh that let the air pass through but yet still deflect debris. Mud flaps get caked with ice in the winter time though.
The clear bra film might also be an option but I have had so so luck with this stuff on vehicle.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have been using the "Towtector" and it helps quit bit with rock chips on the trailer. Does it completely eliminate the issue of chips.....NO but it does help quite a bit. My enclosed trailer is a late 2014 and has chips but nothing like it would have been without the protection.

I personally like the Towtector for a few reasons. It provides more coverage with the the skirt covering the center portion below the bumper, whereas most just are on the sides, like for example "Rock Tamers". The heavy grass like skirts catch stones and just basically drop them, which means less deflection of the stones. If you happen to damage the grass skirts, they are replaceable too. Also after a long winter trip and it ends up dirty. simply remove it and lay it on the garage floor and rinse it out, NO scrubbing, just rinse and let it dry. Super easy !!

http://towtector.com/tier-3-aluminum-extreme-duty-dual-brush-strip/

Couple other ideas would be,

Install more diamond plate on the front of the trailer to provide more coverage.

If the trailer was new, a guy could try that clear heavy rock guard and put some of that up the front. Once it gets worn, you could always replace it ???

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I have been using the "Towtector" and it helps quit bit with rock chips on the trailer. Does it completely eliminate the issue of chips.....NO but it does help quite a bit. My enclosed trailer is a late 2014 and has chips but nothing like it would have been without the protection.

I personally like the Towtector for a few reasons. It provides more coverage with the the skirt covering the center portion below the bumper, whereas most just are on the sides, like for example "Rock Tamers". The heavy grass like skirts catch stones and just basically drop them, which means less deflection of the stones. If you happen to damage the grass skirts, they are replaceable too. Also after a long winter trip and it ends up dirty. simply remove it and lay it on the garage floor and rinse it out, NO scrubbing, just rinse and let it dry. Super easy !!

http://towtector.com/tier-3-aluminum-extreme-duty-dual-brush-strip/

Couple other ideas would be,

Install more diamond plate on the front of the trailer to provide more coverage.

If the trailer was new, a guy could try that clear heavy rock guard and put some of that up the front. Once it gets worn, you could always replace it ???
I agree, I had the rock tamers and took them off they actually made the rock chips worse for some reason. We found that the "grass skirt" style worked much better

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
X2 - I also tried rock tamers for a season and was not happy with the results. Went with a molded flap mounted inside the fender well along with clear bra on the front of the trailer above the stone guard. Much happier with this setup.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
You could apply Plast-dip spray to the affected area and if that doesn’t provide enough protection you are just out $30-50.

The thickness of 4-5 coats of dip is 10-12 mil. If you want to go thicker, apply more coats.
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/#faq-thickness

Clear bras are approx 8 mil thick. The material is probably more impact resistant but I don’t know for sure.

I chose to try Plasti-dip on my trucks tailgate after I was quoted over $200 to either wrap it or clear bra it, to help prevent chips caused from hauling with tailgate down over winter roads. I used 2 cans of dip but since I just did it it hasn’t been put to the test yet.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
You could apply Plast-dip spray to the affected area and if that doesn’t provide enough protection you are just out $30-50.

The thickness of 4-5 coats of dip is 10-12 mil. If you want to go thicker, apply more coats.
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/#faq-thickness

Clear bras are approx 8 mil thick. The material is probably more impact resistant but I don’t know for sure.

I chose to try Plasti-dip on my trucks tailgate after I was quoted over $200 to either wrap it or clear bra it, to help prevent chips caused from hauling with tailgate down over winter roads. I used 2 cans of dip but since I just did it it hasn’t been put to the test yet.

This would be interesting to see how well this would work on a trailer front / nose. If it would hold up against the cold conditions, salt, and debris and you could get a color to match, this could be the ticket !?!?!?!?

Premium Features